Looking for a good quality headphone extension cable
Oct 7, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #16 of 19
Honestly headphone extension cables are going to look pretty much the same. Like I said, I'm not sure what else you really expect here. Cheap/junky cables ("I bought this for $3 on ebay" kind of stuff) *can* cause problems, but this doesn't mean all cables of a given type, or all adapters of a given type, etc will cause problems. Adapters are not, inherently, problematic. But junky ones *can* be. Same goes for extension cables and so forth. You mentioned Monoprice and Hosa in your first post - IME neither is a consistently reliable or quality manufacturer (Monoprice ultimately has a 100% failure rate IME, Hosa is slightly less bad) - but lumping Grado, Ultrasone, etc into the same boat with them "because they look like the same thing" is like saying a Cadillac will behave just like a Kia "because they look like the same thing."
rolleyes.gif

And note that I'm not trying to force you into any specific choice - do whatever you want - I'm just trying to address what I see as misconceptions or over-broad generalizations.

No worries, I understand. Actually, I've had very good luck with Monoprice except for the headphone cables. Maybe I'll try the Ultrasone.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 19
Amazing. 6 year old thread, exactly on point (ostensibly), and exactly zero useful answers. I suppose it’s true that most headphone guys are either mobile or sitting at a desk, and we ‘old school’ sit across the room and listen to music guys are few and far between. Anyway, I’m looking for a 10 foot extension that won’t deteriorate the sound. And let’s not start a cable war. I firmly believe that: 1. cables can and do affect the sound. 2. The price of high end cables is obscene, and not necessarily related to sound quality. If you don’t think you can hear the difference, then I’m not interested in your response. If you don’t think I can hear the difference, then you can read minds and I’m not worthy of your response - please stay away; I’m looking for info, not trying to pick a fight. In any event, the 5ft cables that came with my new LCD-2 is too short, and the pig hog and canare extensions that I have in the house both sound worse than the short oem cable straight in to the amp (the pig hog sounds dull, the canare, which has worked well for me with hifimans and other cans, seems a little thin and brittle with the audeze - weird right?) Anyway, assume I’m not up to diy for this project. Just want to know what you’ve used that works and doesn’t cost a fortune.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #18 of 19
Perhaps you should reread the thread. The cable line I suggested provides a number of quality options for 10 foot extension cables for $40 or less (in December 2021). The suggestions of the Grado 15 foot extension can still be had for $69. The point is that, when using the extension cable, you do not want to hear a difference when using that headphone with or without the extension. If you (or I) hear a difference, it's almost certainly because you have a mediocre or poor extension cable (or at least one that is a bad match for your audio chain).

It will also be help if you specify what type of connections you are seeking on each end of the extension cable you are seeking. The most common is 1/4" female (connection with the headphone) and 1/4" male to your headphone amp or other amping equipment. For a balanced connection, you will be after something different.

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #19 of 19
Perhaps you should reread the thread. The cable line I suggested provides a number of quality options for 10 foot extension cables for $40 or less (in December 2021). The suggestions of the Grado 15 foot extension can still be had for $69. The point is that, when using the extension cable, you do not want to hear a difference when using that headphone with or without the extension. If you (or I) hear a difference, it's almost certainly because you have a mediocre or poor extension cable (or at least one that is a bad match for your audio chain).

It will also be help if you specify what type of connections you are seeking on each end of the extension cable you are seeking. The most common is 1/4" female (connection with the headphone) and 1/4" male to your headphone amp or other amping equipment. For a balanced connection, you will be after something different.
I did read it. IMO, the grado and it’s molded brass connectors degrades the sound terribly. I had one years ago when I had grado RS-2 headphones. I never liked either. A $10 cable for $69. The OP said essentially the same thing about the grado, only he was being much more docile about it. Proaudiola might be a source, thank you. Yours was the only on point response in the whole thread.

Simple 1/4” male to 1/4” female. I already have one that I had made with mogami 2534 wire and furutech (make) and neutrik (female) connectors that is pretty good, but not perfect. The mogami 2549 you recommend is similar - you cannot possibly think the grado extension is in the same category unless they’ve completely overhauled it since I had mine. So, looking for other options. I am well acquainted with what makes an extension cable ‘good’ versus ‘bad’ - I’ve been in this hobby well over 45 years - but thanks for the reminder. I even have an idea - I’m thinking a 10 ft run of Cardas 4x24 with furutech or neutrik connectors might do it. I find the Cardas very neutral to my ear - doesn’t thin things out the way so many others do - but even the bulk per foot price is nuts!

Anyway, I’m not looking for a lecture, I’m looking for anecdotal experience from careful listeners. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back