Looking for a good "hardware" EQ with Dual 10-12 bands and a good S/N-ratio
Aug 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ValentinHogea

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!

As the title states, I'm in the search of a good hardware EQ to put between my USB-DAC and my headphone-amp.

The price would be somewhere between 200-500 USD. So far I've found "Technical Pro" as a brand, but they only offer aprox 80 dB S/N.

Any tips? Would be kindly appericiated. Everything seems to be DSP nowadays, but I want to keep this part analog...

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
What about this one?
http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_fbq3102_ultragraph_pro.htm
No digital-processing (I think), balanced and unbalanced out + 31 band Stereo EQ .. 122 €

Another question. Can one purchase some kind of "case", since i'm not going to rack-mount it?

I've been somewhat eyeing this one too for similar purposes and the price looks very nice. In case you end up getting it be sure to share your experiences. I'm just wondering how to plug these things, I'm no expert on connectors and stuff and my digiZoid amp just has a 3.5 mm headphone jack as output/input. Will stereo to RCA cable work with these EQs? I'd really like to keep it analog myself too so the whole chain except the soundcard stays analog, let's just say I prefer analog filters over digital.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I've been somewhat eyeing this one too for similar purposes and the price looks very nice. In case you end up getting it be sure to share your experiences. I'm just wondering how to plug these things, I'm no expert on connectors and stuff and my digiZoid amp just has a 3.5 mm headphone jack as output/input. Will stereo to RCA cable work with these EQs? I'd really like to keep it analog myself too so the whole chain except the soundcard stays analog, let's just say I prefer analog filters over digital.

You'll have to get a:
3.5 mm to RCA and then get RCA=>Mono 6.3 mm adapters
So it becomes 3.5 mm to dual mono 6.3 mm (I've never seen such a "stock cable", but maybe you'll find one if you look thoroughly)

I'll update you how it sounds if I get one. First I have to rule down all the basics. Never been that much into production-grade equipment until now. Although I know that Behringer usually do their job well (from non-audiophile mixing/mastering friends).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back