Looking for a decent set of cans
Dec 16, 2010 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thejefferson

New Head-Fier
So I have been lurking on these boards for awhile now and finally just decided to just ask the experts directly, what are some good cans for my music style. As you can see I like rock, alt, funk, progressive, reggae, chill music for the most part. My budget is around 300 and was thinking about getting the Denon d2000 or the SRH440, then probably the fiio e7 for mostly the DAC purpose and for when I travel.

Reason for the d2000 for the much deeper bass than the SRH440 which I have listen to and they sounded great just not that great unamped on my zune HD.

Anyways thats what I thought would be good, what are you opinions or suggestions? 

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 6
Grado's go well with (prog.)rock.

If you like treble and upfront sound, SR225
If you like really very much treble, SR325

Do some searches on those models, I'd say.
Don't need serious amping, although they do benefit from it.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 6
At the $300 price point, I would think you should be considering the SRH840s instead. And the Shures are more neutral, which may account for your perception of it having shallower bass.

You can try the beyerdynamic DT770/80s as well. Their bass impact is strong and they do well with many genres including those you listed.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:

You can try the beyerdynamic DT770/80s as well. Their bass impact is strong and they do well with many genres including those you listed.

I don't like my 770/80's for prog.rock, I think they don't go well with that
But it's subjective, I've read more people enjoying them with rock.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 6
It depends on the recording and the artist as well. I like mine :D

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #6 of 6
oh i do like my DT770's a lot, just not with that kind of music, in general

offcourse it depends on which artist and how the recording is:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back