looking for a DAP to suit my needs/requirements
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dimmockg

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all

The hunt for a DAP continues and i wondered if the good people on head-fi would possibly be able to throw some thoughts / ideas at what i am requiring / needing

Here is a list of what i am looking for, i have broken this down as must(s), highly desirable & nice to have(s)

Firstly, my budget is at an absolute maximum of £600 - but this would have to seriously tick all of the boxes, however ideal budget would be around £400

In no particular order, here are the two lists of what the DAP must have followed by nice to haves...

Musts:

Touch-screen
Quick, slick, reliable & stable UI
Absolutely seamless gap-less playback (ideally for MP3 as well)
Substantial battery life circa 12 hours plus (could be 11 (ish)) if ticks all other boxes
2.5m balanced
Nice / vibrant screen

Highly Desirable (in order of importance):
1) Wifi & able to act as a NAS controller - can access files on a NAS (over my home network) & play locally on the player
2) Gap-less play back for MP3 albums - some of my CD's (which are/were DJ Mix albums) were ripped as 320kbps - thus gap-less MP3 would be great
3) Ability to add/side-load apps: spotify, soundcloud, mixcloud etc (not a tidal user at present, but never say never)
4) USB C
5) Ability to add music from the NAS to local storage or SD card

Nice to haves: (most do)
Multi directional BT
USB DAC

Having had a good hunt around, my shortlist looks to be (in no order whatsoever & subject to boxes being ticked):

A&K A&norma SR15 - ticks the musts and most of the desirable
Hiby R6 - ticks the musts and most of the desirable (however FW update looks a mare and the output is "odd")
AK70mk ii - ticks the musts and most of the desirable
ibasso DX150 - ticks the musts and most of the desirable

Cowon Plenue R - wouldn't cover many of the desirable
ibasso DX120 - wouldn't cover many of the desirable + feedback of background noise/hiss
Shanling M5s - wouldn't cover many of the desirable

if anybody could provide feedback on my thoughts ideas, with any actual end user experience that would be great & if it helps i have had a Hiby R3 but didn't quite cover off what i wanted - the DLNA didn't performed as i expected and in my experiences the BT was flaky

many thanks

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 5
SR15 seems to be right for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back