looking for a closed can that's on par with the HD598
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

schaaf

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone

I have some HD598s that I just got for use at work, and they sound great, much better than my HD555s, but they leak too much for my office mate. I didn't think they'd bother her, but they are apparently too loud. 

I listen to mainly acoustic stuff, some rock, daft punk, lots of other random stuff. 
I don't like super boomy bass. I think the bass on the HD598 is pretty good. (same on the HE500.)

I'm running lossless files out of an iPhone with an e11 amp. 

I've looked at the shure 940s, M50, DT1330, HD25s, and some other stuff, but nothing seems to stand out. People seem to have things they like and hate about each one, and nothing is jumping out at me that says "Hey! Pick me for ___X___ reason!"

I'd prefer if they were circumaural, I don't really like ear pads.( The HD25s look intriguing, but I don't know how comfortable they can be for hours on end... I had some P5's for about a day and a half, and they were pretty horrible, both in sound and comfort. I like clear miss, tight, accurate bass, and want my vocals to sound nice and clear.

Any suggestions?
Thoughts based on what I like and don't' like?
Thanks

S-

edit: I'd also like to mention that I would prefer if they were available on Amazon. (gift cards) and I'm not really into modding things, and don't get along to well with IEM's. 
Thanks!

edit2: Super forgetful. I've tried DT770 and it clamps WAY to much. The AKG 550 or whatever, didn't clamp enough, and the AT2000 doesn't fit right... its weird. I like the sound from a 225i, but my brother-in-law took them to FL. (leaks too much anyway.)

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 20
I'd look into the K550. I got them because i needed a closed back headphone with good soundstage and minimum leakage. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 20
How's the clamping action on them? I've read that some people have problems with them....

The ones I tried at Magnolia home theatre in Best Buy were WAY too loose. They seemed really new, so I don't think its wear and tear, but the stands they're attached to seemed weird. You had to stretch them pretty good to get them out, so I'm not sure if thats a contributing factor or not...

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 20
They're in magnolia home theatre. We have them in some, but not all of our best buy's here in MN. Not sure if its a pilot program or not, but they're headquartered here. 

The clamping force seemed weak. Like slip of your head if you look down weak. The DT770s had to go back because they gave me headaches they were so damn tight.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
How's the clamping action on them? I've read that some people have problems with them....

The ones I tried at Magnolia home theatre in Best Buy were WAY too loose. They seemed really new, so I don't think its wear and tear, but the stands they're attached to seemed weird. You had to stretch them pretty good to get them out, so I'm not sure if thats a contributing factor or not...

The clamp force is ok. Considering that i have an average head size. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 20
You might try the Philips Citiscape Uptowns.  Available on Amazon, and a fairly similar sound to the 598s, IIRC.  A bit on the warm side, but fairly well controlled bass, decent clarity, and very minimal sound leakage. I like mine.  And they're driven well from a mobile device (I have a Samsung Galaxy S II, and they sound great straight from it).  $150.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 20
Yeah I kinda looked at those but got sidetracked by the Fidelio L1's that apparently, you can't buy anywhere except the apple store.

What about the Brainwavz HM5?

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 20
Placed an order for the Ultrasone Pro 900 and the Shure 940. 

They come in on friday. I'll spend some time with them and the E11 and see what I think.
Ill send back the loser.

S- 

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 20
Well, I wanted to like the Ultrasone 900s but they are way way way way way too bassy for me. Way. The mids sounded veiled or recessed, and they were very dependent on positioning. The soundstage was pretty decent though.

The Shure 940s are great. Sound is wonderful. Maybe a touch too bright, but the mids are super detailed and clear. Sound great with some DMB and Alice in Chains. Unfortunately I wanted a little more soundstage than they have, and they are HUGE and uncomfortable. They clamp way too much and the headband looks like a wing when its on your head. I would totally get ripped on at work for wearing them. They're massive. I did like the sound though.

So,.... Is there anything like the sound of the 940s thats maybe a little more comfortable? 

Would the mids on the pro 900s open up over time? I'm just not sure if I could get over the bass. Sometimes it was great, but on other tracks it was just way too much. 

Looking at jumping from the HD 598 to the Shure 1440s too... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back