Looking for a cheapish way to get good sound out of my old samsung note v1 using otg...
Apr 8, 2015 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Have a lot of cans (AKG k612's, k271 mk ii's, k141's,  el.-cheapo sennheiser in-ear 215's), but looking for software or apps that allow me to play music from the old original galaxy note via otg (have an old usb x-fi dac)....blew most of my expendable cash on sweet skiing gear, so can't afford 500+ usd on a dac/amp combo (if you thought audiophile gear was expensive...wow don't even look at ski-mountaineering gear!)...

Home setup is fine (phoebus soundcard, and a v-can mark I), not great but good enough given that I mostly listen to spotify. Haven't yet ripped the 400+ CD's from my youth...

So here's the rub: can anyone recommend software (yes I can pay) that will work with spotify, and allow me to use an external DAC? (From what I understand, the main problem is that spotify isn't really compatible with external usb otg dacs?)....just downloaded Onkyo, will give it a shot. Have a pretty big music library, but would be nice to be able to listen to new things.  Sound on the original galaxy gt-n7000 note wasn't great anyway (not terrible, just not great). Yes I know am due for a phone upgrade (waiting on snapdragon 810 and mediatek phones to become cheaper and more available, with 4k video/h.265 etc amongst other things!)...

Any ideas? As a minimum, thinking that digital from phone is a minimum to bypass internal dac...

And of course..what a great site! Kudos to all....still the reference site for anyone interested in cans, portable audio, or just really cool music-related stuff!

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 5
I used to own the Note 2, but have no experience with the Note 1 and usb audio.

Does your DAC work at all with the Note 1? If it won't play typical music files, have you tried it with USB Audio Recorder Pro:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro&hl=en

If it doesn't work at all, then I think you probably would have to explore custom ROMs as a possibility to replace the version of Android that you have (don't know for certain if that will work), and you'll likely need to research that on XDA-Developers forum.

If it works with USB Audio Recorder Pro, but not with your regular music player, that typically means it's not going to work with other software either, except maybe with a custom ROM.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply..have rooted the phone, but running android 4.2 (would have to check...Ice cream) at the moment.  Was not quite willing to try jelly bean/v5.xx from xda when vid and photo recording was still somewhat in beta/hd recording not working. Shame, was hoping for RAW photos soon...

Had a look at it (linked software even before your post), but have to update my ccard (every time I get a new one) to be able to purchase. Will give it a shot (my bank keeps sending me shoddy cards which bend in my wallet...need to replace the damn things every 6 mths! frigging annoying)...

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Be sure to research USB Audio Recorder Pro before you buy. I don't think it will allow you to use Spotify. Just music files.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah figured that..thanks for the heads up tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back