Looking for a bassy (Beats killer) headphone...Sony XB700 vs. DJ1(Pro) vs HFI 580/780
May 10, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 37

Quote:
Thats a good deal, was that recently? Online or instore?

It was online. They recently had the D1100 and Shure 750DJ on sale. I'm sure they will again at some point, but even at £100 they are decent value compared to Beats and have plenty of bass. I would say they are comparable to XB500s and XB700s in bass quantity (perhaps not overall depth though).

I believe the D1100 would be suitable for you. They are light & portable with good isolation/low leakage and they are pretty bassy. A good alternative to Beats I think.

My one issue with them is the headband arms and the way they protrude. If you look at the pic below (not me btw lol) you'll see what I mean. It's purely a cosmetic thing, but I just cannot understand why they didn't keep the same headband design as the D1001.

May 10, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 37

Quote:
Haha, okay how about this one instead? I think it illustrates my point about the pointy arms.

Hmm I do see your point. They aren't the most aesthetically pleasing fit. And as a bit of a fashion-concious student looks are important. One other headphone I've heard that is good for bass and is a respected headphone is the AiAiAi tma-1. Do you know anything about that?

May 11, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #20 of 37
I have not heard the TMA-1, but from what I've read it isn't overly bassy. At least not compared to the D1100, Sony XBs and Beats.

Someone who actually owns them might want to chime in here.

If you want a sexy looking headphone with good bass I'd recommend the ES10, but it's not cheap. You could get beats for less lol.

May 11, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #22 of 37
There's also Phiaton MS 400 (there's both a red/black and all black color scheme) and V-Moda Crossfade LP for those "fashion-inclined" and will most likely perform good enough for such person too (Phiaton MS400 should be perhaps a bit better sounding of the two but V-Modas might appeal more by the looks and is probably a bit bassier too).

May 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
I have not heard the TMA-1, but from what I've read it isn't overly bassy. At least not compared to the D1100, Sony XBs and Beats.

Someone who actually owns them might want to chime in here.

If you want a sexy looking headphone with good bass I'd recommend the ES10, but it's not cheap. You could get beats for less lol.

That ES10 is nice! Might have to save up for a bit! I could get beats for less, but they are a generic look and sound.

May 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #25 of 37

Quote:
There's also Phiaton MS 400 (there's both a red/black and all black color scheme) and V-Moda Crossfade LP for those "fashion-inclined" and will most likely perform good enough for such person too (Phiaton MS400 should be perhaps a bit better sounding of the two but V-Modas might appeal more by the looks and is probably a bit bassier too).

I don't actually like the look of either the V-Moda or the Phiaton...bit too gawdy for my tastes. Although I suppose the all black Phiaton is alright. No-one has mentioned the HD-25-1ii or the K171 mk-ii. They are both well-respected closed headphones...is it because they are bass-light? Would the right amp solve that?

May 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #26 of 37
If you didn't like the looks of the D1100, I'd be suprised if you preferred the HD25.

That said, if you can afford it you could buy some customized ones from here...http://www.customcans.co.uk/ or get the Adidas branded ones.

On the bass side, they do have good punch in the bass but they are neither bass light or bass heavy IMO.

May 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #27 of 37
Just want to disagree with the recommendations of DT990 and Denon D2000.
Both have a relatively slow bass which creates a nice and realistic decay with instrumental music. However, with your prioritised music I'd definitely want fast bass. Your best bet still remains Ultrasone. Most of them sound great unamped, too. Most popular models around here are HFI-580/780 and PRO 750/900.

I think the DT990 sounds especially bad with Electronica and Hip-Hop/Rap. An emphasized bass does not mean that it plays well with bass heavy genres. I'm selling my Beyerdynamics because I think they only do well with instrumental music.

May 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #28 of 37
What amps do you use with the DT990? Because the DT990 has a nice and quick bass and decay. Like the DT880 but more of it. Its only slow when unamped or not amped properly. DT990 has the best bass I've ever heard, especially for hip hop and electronic genres.

May 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #30 of 37
Mindy123, I bought some refurb Sony XB500 for a really really good price and still do not like them, lots of "mushy" bass.
Check out the Superlux brand, I've not used them but they seem to get good reviews.
For good sound get one of the $60-$90 hybrid tube headphone amp. off eBay (ships from China).
They use an AC plug for power, not really a true portable, but they are small.
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) have a nice sound, the CALs gave my Beyerdynamic DT 770 80-Ohm a run for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back