Looking for a basic amp.
Dec 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KillswitchScar

New Head-Fier
Was just wondering what you guys would recommend for a basic amp for my JVC HA RX 700's. I don't really want to spend a lot and am really looking to just push them a bit louder. Any suggestions would be great,Thanks.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 10
If this is for a Win PC.
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 10
I read some other post that also said that the DG was a good card with a nice amp on it. Was kind of skeptical as all my friends say sound cards are pointless,but if the on board amp is decent then it could be an option. I apparently the fiio e6 is a popular choice as well? Any other recommendations?

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 10
  I read some other post that also said that the DG was a good card with a nice amp on it. Was kind of skeptical as all my friends say sound cards are pointless,but if the on board amp is decent then it could be an option. I apparently the Fiio E6 is a popular choice as well? Any other recommendations?

Sound cards are not pointless.
External DAC/Amps can sound better the sound cards, but your also paying a lot more cash for that great external.
For headphones like the HA-RX700, it's really not worth spending more then the DG.
The DG comes with a DAC chip and a head amp, the E6 is just an amp.
The Xonar DG is $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Ah,I did not know that. I'm a "decent enough" type of guy when it comes to my audio. I'm sure the DG beats the hell out of my mobos on board chip. And like i said I'm just after a bit of a volume boost. So if the DG will do that i will gladly try it out. I heard that that in order to get your headphones to use the amp you need to use the front panel port,is that true or can i plug it directly into the rear I/O?

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 10
  Ah,I did not know that. I'm a "decent enough" type of guy when it comes to my audio. I'm sure the DG beats the hell out of my mobos on board chip. And like i said I'm just after a bit of a volume boost. So if the DG will do that i will gladly try it out. I heard that that in order to get your headphones to use the amp you need to use the front panel port,is that true or can i plug it directly into the rear I/O?

Depends on the card. Some have a dedicated headphone out.

Oh, and about the 'volume boost', its not all you get by using a sound card. The conversion of digital (files) to analog (sound) is also important, and the soundcard usually will sound clearer than onboard sound. This you'll only notice once you start using the soundcard.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, I was aware of the other advantages,Getting my music louder is my main priority as my on board is pretty good and many system builders I'm friends with say that most people really can't tell a difference until they drop a lot of money for higher end audio gear. Not sure if the DG will be much better than my on board,but if i can get the volume above "a comfortable level" I'll be happy. Seems a lot of people have issues with the xonars in general.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 10
  Yeah, I was aware of the other advantages,Getting my music louder is my main priority as my on board is pretty good and many system builders I'm friends with say that most people really can't tell a difference until they drop a lot of money for higher end audio gear. Not sure if the DG will be much better than my on board,but if i can get the volume above "a comfortable level" I'll be happy. Seems a lot of people have issues with the xonars in general.

Your friend is right, but partially. The differences are highest when you buy low to mid range stuff, and gradually diminish.

Motherboard makers usually keep audio at a low priority, and the solutions they use aren't of the highest quality, althought I've seen a change in this trend, atleast in the higher end boards. However, I'm not sure what your motherboard currently uses.

That said, another consideration is that your audio chain shouldn't cost more than your headphone itself, because that would mean you could've bought a better headphone in the first place.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 10
My motherboard uses Realtek ALC887 i believe,been a long time since a built my rig.Think somthing like the xonar DG would be worth it? Granted i'm pretty happy with my modded HA-RX700's as they are, just looking for a bit more juice.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 10
  My motherboard uses Realtek ALC887 i believe,been a long time since a built my rig.Think somthing like the xonar DG would be worth it? Granted i'm pretty happy with my modded HA-RX700's as they are, just looking for a bit more juice.

For the price, I don't think there's any better alternative. Even if it is a mild improvement, you still get an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back