Looking for a $200 DAC/AMP combo for desktop use.
Oct 28, 2020 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ShangriLa

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a DAC/amp combo for desktop use when working from home. The headphone will likely be the Sennheiser HD 650. Budget is around $200, may be up to $300.

I'm not a headphone person so not sure about my options. I do have a dedicated main floodstanding stero listening setup, and a bookshelf speaker setup in the home office. I'm looking to explore headphone listening to try something different. One option I'm very interested in is the Motu M2. It's very well received as an audio interface, but I'm not sure how its sound quality, in terms of DAC/headphone output, compares to other $200 range DAC/amp. Thanks!

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks.. Another question: does the Sennheiser HD 650 require better DAC/amp to sound well, or a $200-300 combo can get at least 80% of its performance though it scales well with better source?
I think a $200-300 combo is definitely getting you at least 90% performance. It really depends on the character you're looking for. A tube amp can give you a bit warmer sound signature, which I think plays well into the 650. A Little Dot MkII is a good beginner tube amp for instance, and can be found for under $200.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 18
I think a $200-300 combo is definitely getting you at least 90% performance. It really depends on the character you're looking for. A tube amp can give you a bit warmer sound signature, which I think plays well into the 650. A Little Dot MkII is a good beginner tube amp for instance, and can be found for under $200.

Cool. That's good to know.

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 18
Glad I could help!
I have a Little Dot Mk2 (which I will probably be selling soon), and it is nice. It's got a very stereotypically tube sound (gritty and dirty, in a good sense) but at the $200 level I would recommend the DarkVoice (Drop has it right now but you'll likely have to wait a while for it), or you can find a used one pretty easily.

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 18
I have a Little Dot Mk2 (which I will probably be selling soon), and it is nice. It's got a very stereotypically tube sound (gritty and dirty, in a good sense) but at the $200 level I would recommend the DarkVoice (Drop has it right now but you'll likely have to wait a while for it), or you can find a used one pretty easily.

I wonder how drop works... so if you see an item currently available (when it says how much time left), you put in the order. How long does it take for the item to be delivered? If it's free return, does that mean free return shipping?

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 18
I wonder how drop works... so if you see an item currently available (when it says how much time left), you put in the order. How long does it take for the item to be delivered? If it's free return, does that mean free return shipping?
At the bottom of the product page it will say when it's planning to ship. This round of DarkVoices are shipping Dec 2 it looks like. Not sure on their return policy however.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 18
Another user of the HD650 (Drop HD6xx, in fact) with a LD Mk II. Great combo for a reasonable budget.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 18
These amp/dac do look interesting and I've read good things about them. But I really hope I can get a DAC/amp combo for the convenience to move around the house. I do have a few dacs (Parasound HINT, SMSL M400, Denafrips ARES II), and adding an amp will get the job done. But I prefer a combo with decent sound quality if possible.

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 18
These amp/dac do look interesting and I've read good things about them. But I really hope I can get a DAC/amp combo for the convenience to move around the house. I do have a few dacs (Parasound HINT, SMSL M400, Denafrips ARES II), and adding an amp will get the job done. But I prefer a combo with decent sound quality if possible.
If you're rocking a Denafrips, just add a 789 or 887 and you're pretty close to endgame if the HD650 sound signature is to your liking. As for the convenience of a combo unit, I happen to have an xDuoo TA-01b dac/tube amp for sale in these Forums, but that unit is definitely about convenience over power.

If you do like the HD650, my recommendation is to try out a Stax L300 next, in my opinion it's orders of magnitude better - but you'd need to get a new electrostatic amp too (or as part of a package).

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 18
Since you can stretch to 300, Schiit Asgard 3 with DAC module would be my pick.

What level of performance can I expect from the DAC, probably Modi 3?

Currently very tempted by the Motu M2. From what I read, it performs about the same as Modi 3 + Magni. But it's an audio interface, something I never used before. Which is probably why I'm so tempted lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back