Looking for $70 (or less) dedicated DAC for setup!
Nov 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hydrocharged

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! As some background, I used to have a complete setup that featured my HiFiMAN HE-400, along with the Emotiva mini-X a-100 amp. My DAC was USB-powered, but I cannot remember too many details about it. I honestly bought it as I got a good deal on it, and wasn't too worried about the DAC side of the equation. Well, I ended up moving my equipment and lost my DAC in the process, and I have not been able to find it, thus I am in need of another one. I can not spend more than $70 (before shipping) on my DAC. I've looked at the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2, but those are currently out of stock, and I'm missing my music too much to wait it out. As alternatives, I've looked into the Stoner Acoustics UD110, but I'm truly wanting to use my silver RCA interconnects, while the UD110 only has a 3.5mm output. This DAC will only be used with my amp, so I do not have a need to drive IEMs. One of the features about the HiFimeDIY that I liked was that it used a separate power source than the USB, which I actually like. I do not know if it truly makes a difference sound-wise, but it seems like it would.

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but I do have some 88.2khz/24bit music. A few DACs I've seen don't support that, and, if at all possible, I'd like to keep that compatibility, although it is not a requirement.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 7
edit - initially misread the OP.  sorry bout that.  

a further thought - occasionally keces dacs show up used in the FS for around or under $100.  if you can get your hands on one, that would be a very good bet.  I think this review describes the sonics nicely: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0808/keces_da151.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back