looking for <$200 energetic phone for airplane, comfort?
Jan 31, 2010 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

semisight

500+ Head-Fier
The title pretty much says it all. My friend wants to find a good pair of isolating headphones that don't rape his ear with deep fit for a long plane trip we'll be taking later this year. I know he wouldn't be satisfied with a flat phone, so I want to recommend something really energetic. He listens to rock, pop and hip hop. No really out there brands where a warranty would be iffy (like say the FA eterna). I was thinking of recommending the ety HF5 with shure olives and a fiio E5, but that might not be the best choice. What say you headfi?

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 17
I would recommend Westone um1's. I used my um1's on a flight last month and they cancelled the noise around me. I didn't noticed how loud the plane was until I had to take them off for landing. I've used them for upwards of 5 hours without taking them off and my ears felt fine after.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 17
UM1 is good for comfort I've heard. But does it have a lot of energy?

For the X10, how well do they isolate?

And yes, it should have some bass. Not sickening overpowering bass, but enough to get you involved (i.e. not the more analytical RE0 style bass).

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 17
IE7, SF5Pro, Klipsch Custom 3, JVC FX500, Denon C710 and Tour......

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 17
Isn't IE7 an open earphone? SF5 Pro has some promise, and the Klipsch Custom cables I've heard aren't very durable. Durability is a dealbreaker for any >$100 phone. Don't know much about the rest.

I'm leaning towards the x10. If nothing it's gotten great reviews, sounds fun with bass and warmth, and isolation is decent. What tips can it be used with? Will shure olives fit?

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 17
The Klipsch tips are renowned for their comfort and isolation, so if you get the Klipsch, then I'd recommend just staying with the default tips.

The IE7 has horrid isolation, FWIR.
The SF5 Pro is okay, but I'd recommend the Triple.Fi 10 if you're going in that direction.
The Klipsch Custom 3 isn't very durable, and while it's sound quality may be slightly better than the X10 depending on your taste, it's comfort is far from ideal.
The FX500 and the C710, I haven't read up about enough.
And while the Tour is nice for extreme bassheads, it's not really great for anyone else.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 17
I ended up recommending him the x5 and comply tips (but just for the flights because they're so expensive). All the reviews were positive and Klipsch is a good name brand so I won't get yelled at when/if they break.
tongue.gif

Thanks for all the help guys.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM1 is good for comfort I've heard. But does it have a lot of energy?

For the X10, how well do they isolate?

And yes, it should have some bass. Not sickening overpowering bass, but enough to get you involved (i.e. not the more analytical RE0 style bass).

Eh...the UM1 is about as boring as they come. The lack of bass doesn't help its case either.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The title pretty much says it all. My friend wants to find a good pair of isolating headphones that don't rape his ear with deep fit for a long plane trip we'll be taking later this year. I know he wouldn't be satisfied with a flat phone, so I want to recommend something really energetic. He listens to rock, pop and hip hop. No really out there brands where a warranty would be iffy (like say the FA eterna). I was thinking of recommending the ety HF5 with shure olives and a fiio E5, but that might not be the best choice. What say you headfi?

To me all IEMs i recommended are energetic and C3 are the best among them for above genres(see the recent reviews) but these comes with cloth cables.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 17
Surprised no one has mentioned the CK10 yet. Not that I have heard them myself, but they've been really popular lately, and are supposed to be fun while still giving alot of detail. It is pretty flat though, from what I've read, but I don't think that has to equate with not being fun =P

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Who says they are flat? You are reading something other than the reviews on HF.

They are plenty of fun, and fantastic. But they do require deep insertion, compared to Etys. I use Shure tri-flanges with them (modded stalk cut to bottom flange) and in my view, they are the best universal IEMs I've ever heard. The OPs' friend will be very happy with these if he gets the right seal/fit. $199 at newegg.com. But they are deep insertion IEMs.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 17
Unfortunately, the CK10 is out because it's deep fit. Besides, he's since said that $150 is the highest, so it looks like the image X5 should work out well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back