Looking at Triple.Fi 10 Pro ... Should I be looking at something else? <$300
Sep 18, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

mvw2

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking at grabbing a good reference IEM. I've tested out a number of IEMs in the past and found a bunch I liked, but then I narrowed down to "inventory" to one, single earphone. It ended up being Yuin's OK1 which I still own and love a lot. However, I want to grab another IEM again as a secondary isolating option for the times I do want isolation. I'm looking for something decent.

For reference, I was very content with Etymotic's ER4S and consider it to be on par with the OK1. The frequency response of the ER4S is what I like, i.e. flat. The OK1 is very close to this as well but offered a little more low bass energy and treble top end and sparkle, but I gave up sound stage presentation for it. I had the PFE which I liked and ran it with the gray filter. The top end was messy, and I preferred the thicker (more attack and decay time) presentation of note of the ER4S. The PFE had great accuracy of note and dynamics.

I am intersted in a very neutral earphone, great stage presentation (separation, location, don't care about raw size), good frequency response extension on both ends, great articulation of note, and effortless dynamics (have a Corda 2Move to drive them).

Right now, I'm looking at the Triple.Fi 10 Pro as I do like the accuracy that most BA setups give, but I feel I need to step to the multi-driver setup to addequately cover the frequency range (reason why I don't just grab another ER4S). The Triple.Fi 10 Pro seems like a good choice, but I'm curious if I'm missing another excellent candidate or two that may actually fit my goals better.

So...
1) Just go for the Triple.Fi 10 Pro?
2) Look at something else that fits me better?

If (2), list what and explain in good detail why you feel it's a better fit for me.

Feel free to explain why the Triple.Fi 10 Pro may be a bad fit for me if you feel they aren't close to what I'm looking for.

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 37
So far, the ATH-CK100 is the only thing that's intrigued me versus the Triple.Fi 10 Pro as it's been described as a more refined ER4 which are words I do like to hear. However, the price difference between the two is, well, vast and beyond what I'm willing to spend.

I have thought about customs like the Livewires, but I don't like the idea of being stuck to it for life, and it means only I listen to it and no one else. It means I'm sticking to universals still.

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 37
I can't offer much help as I have limited experience with $300+ IEMs, but I can say I certainly prefer the Triple.fis to anything I've heard thus far... especially the Se530. I hated those! I'm actually getting a pair of quad customs and still wanna hold onto the TF10s. I decided to send them into UniqueMelody for remolding into custom shells, so they should sound even better. TF10s get my vote.

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 37
I suggest staying with the Triple fi's , u"ll never get bored with them.You can change cables, which will improve the triple fi's alot. One of the advantages for UE.
The soundstage, the mids. Not saying others are bad but they just can't give me the sound signature that triple fi's has.

If noise isolation is an important issue to you... You might be disappointed, they aren't as good as westones or shures.

Matthew

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 37
With what you desribe, Triple Fi's would be good. I love mine. There is something about it that is really euphoric about them. Such a big sound, big soundstage, multi-layered, great detail....yet still neutral and perhaps the most refined sounding IEM I have ever heard. It just sounds like a high quality expensive product. I could listen to them all day long.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 37
I'm trying to stay below $300, and I too have not listened to any of the $300 options. The best I've stepped to were simply the single BA designs of the ER4S and PFE and currently run Yuin's OK1 bud as my most expensive and best liked earphone.

I keep trying to dig through reviews and comments to try and pull out some other gem that matches or bests the Triple.Fi for the price, but I don't see one. The only thing I've come across is customs which are doable if I was really willing to go that route, which I am not. Then again, even the Triple.Fis can be turned custom, so there is always that future option.

Comment on the cable more. I will say that I am quite the skeptic on this cable idea. However, I do kind of understand that at the small scale IEMs operate at, the small differences in ohm, capacitance, and inductance can influence operation. In most larger scale cases, it's really just snake oil simply because of scale and the small differences are so very incapable of creating a perceived difference. In the IEM world, I'm not so sure. I'd much prefer to see lab testing and actually showing the differences in terms of real data. Unfortunately, not a single person has ever done this.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 37
Custom 3, IE7, SE530 and SE420, they all improve greately with AMPs help
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 37
I'm not sure why anyone would even change the cable. The Triple Fi already comes with a great cable both in terms of SQ and ergonomics. I've had mine since Feb and have never even detached the cables once. I hate messin' with stuff when I have no intention of ever changing the cable.

It has adequate isolation.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 37
Isolation isn't super important. I want some, and most IEMs I've used have been adequate at the task short Denon's C700 which almost has none oddly.

No clue on the cable. It's kind of like the ER4S/P. I liked that cable, solid. Some folks change it and say it improves sound quality. I don't know. Maybe snake oil, maybe not. It's just that IEMs operate on a small enough scale that even wiring can have some influence, although some engineers even in the head-fi industry will still laugh at the idea.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 37
I had the Trips, and since I couldn't get a good fit, I sent them back. They had no bass for me whatsoever.

I tried out the Shure 530s and that was it. Their SQ, comfort and isolation are absolutely wonderful.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 37
I just bought a pair. I'll put them through their paces when I get them and see how they do.

Fit is a concern for me with the numerous talk about their size. I don't know if my ears are the kind that should be of concern or not. I stick to small tips most of the time. We'll see... If things don't work out, that's what the For Sale section's for. It'd be a shame though, so I intend to try everything I can think of to make them work before going that far. I'd rather let an earphone go because of sound rather then fit.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why anyone would even change the cable. The Triple Fi already comes with a great cable both in terms of SQ and ergonomics. I've had mine since Feb and have never even detached the cables once. I hate messin' with stuff when I have no intention of ever changing the cable.

It has adequate isolation.

Well, it depends. Have you tried other cables?

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isolation isn't super important. I want some, and most IEMs I've used have been adequate at the task short Denon's C700 which almost has none oddly.

No clue on the cable. It's kind of like the ER4S/P. I liked that cable, solid. Some folks change it and say it improves sound quality. I don't know. Maybe snake oil, maybe not. It's just that IEMs operate on a small enough scale that even wiring can have some influence, although some engineers even in the head-fi industry will still laugh at the idea.

True, ive heard other saying that too, but i trust my ears more.. definitely and upgrade to me.

Matthew

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 37
Nope, I haven't. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money versus me just hacking some speaker wire together. Me replacing cables is when they break. Otherwise, I'm not touching them.

I would love to see the science. I would love to see testing done on the pre and post versions that show what changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back