Looking amp etc. for
Oct 11, 2014 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DocVS

New Head-Fier
I am looking to get the most out of my current setup. I have shure srh1540's on their way and just an iPhone 5s. Will just the iPhone be able to drive the headphones? What should I get as far as portable amplification etc. to get the most out of my setup for under $200

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 5
  I am looking to get the most out of my current setup. I have shure srh1540's on their way and just an iPhone 5s. Will just the iPhone be able to drive the headphones? What should I get as far as portable amplification etc. to get the most out of my setup for under $200

The iPhone 6 should have no problem driving the SRH1540, if you want to try an aftermarket amplifier, to see if it helps improve audio quality, get the FiiO E11K, $60.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 5
I have no idea how line out works on new iPhones with lightning connectors, but you really shouldn't need an amp.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 5
The Shure SRH-1540 has an impedance of 46ohms and a sensitivity of 99 dB/mW. It is unlikely they will need or benefit from an amplifier. If you are happy with the volume level after playing your headphones with the iPhone, there is really no real reason to get an amplifier. I still have not found a real any scientific reason for how an amplifier benefits low impedance, high-sensitivity headphones that already achieve their required power from the source, and the anecdotal stories of sonic improvements from amping low impedance, high-sensitivity headphones are very variable. I personally wouldn't waste my money here. I think returning your headphones and spending more money on nicer headphones would give you a better sonic upgrade than tacking on an amplifier for a high-sensitivity, low impedance portable pair of headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back