Looking advice on dedicated SACD player
Oct 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Johnnysokko

New Head-Fier
I would like to add a SACD player to my listening station at home. eBay seems to have a large selection of what were once reference systems (universal players) for pretty reasonable dollars (under $300). 

I have seen a number of Denon 3910s and Marantz players.  I really don't need the video function.  I have also seen the Oppo 103 which looks interesting.  Its appeaers that Marantz may be one of the last making dedicated CD/SACD players.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 15
I would guess to buy a DVD player and spend a fair amount of cash for an external DAC.
A DVD player is designed to read a disk with a much denser storage track, then a CD disk.
So I would think reading a SACD would be easy for the DVD player.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 15
  I would guess to buy a DVD player and spend a fair amount of cash for an external DAC.
A DVD player is designed to read a disk with a much denser storage track, then a CD disk.
So I would think reading a SACD would be easy for the DVD player.

FWIW, the DAC needs a HDMI input to decode SACD.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the replies, my goal was in the $1000 range if possible.  The new Oppo 105 looks pretty awesome.  The sales guy at Magnolia this week did mention that he has a fair number of returns with problems around SACD replay, thinks it will be fixed via a firmware upgrade.

Do you think the Oppo 105 can drive my Sennheiser HD800s...if so...might kill two birds with one stone and avoid buying another amp.

Bill

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 15
  Thanks for the replies, my goal was in the $1000 range if possible.  The new Oppo 105 looks pretty awesome.  The sales guy at Magnolia this week did mention that he has a fair number of returns with problems around SACD replay, thinks it will be fixed via a firmware upgrade.

Do you think the Oppo 105 can drive my Sennheiser HD800s...if so...might kill two birds with one stone and avoid buying another amp.

Bill

I am in the same boat as you, I keep hearing about this sacd thing and some people say it is the best thing since sliced bread and other say it is not better than a well recorded cd. I need to see for myself. I came to the exact same conclusion as you...Oppo 105. There are others out there that are just as good, maybe even a bit better, but what sold me on the Oppo is it is an all-in-one solution. You get a transport, dac, and headphone amp all in one unit. When I see Sabre Dac's selling for nearly the same price as this, it is almost a no-brainer. You are getting a Sabre dac, that can be used as a stand alone dac if you want, plus all the rest for just a few hundred dollars more. I was also looking at the 103 as it is a lot cheaper but this has better dac and the amplifier. Gonna strain the budget a lot but I think this is it.
 As for the HD800, I don't know about those phones in particular, but I read a review of the 105 recently and the reviewer listened to some HD650's with it and he said they sounded great with plenty of headroom. I hope that is true cause those are the phones I have.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 15

The only real glitch I've come across happens after the unit is turned-off. Flipping it back on can cause its controls to stop responding, after it reads the USB inputs. As it's on 99% of the time, it's not a real issue in my setup. Zero issues with SACDs. I should also mention, and you likely know this already, the Oppo needs a screen-driven interphase to take advantage of all of its features.

I don't know. Here's a link to a thread where I discuss my experience with its headamp. Comments from others, as well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/642103/oppo-bdp-105-headphone-amp

Bill

Reply in bold.

Felix

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 15
I sprung for the Oppo 105 this weekend. So far I am really happy with it.  I need to run the volume at about 60 for my normal listening level.  More to follow as I run it through the paces.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 15
I sprung for the Oppo 105 this weekend. So far I am really happy with it.  I need to run the volume at about 60 for my normal listening level.  More to follow as I run it through the paces.

Big congrats! IMNSHO, it's the true best buy in quality audio today. If you haven't seen this already, as a FYI:

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-105_Headphone_Amplifier_FAQ

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Wow...thanks for the link, that was really helpful. I was kind of scared to turn up the volume that high given my experience with amps being in the 50 range for max listening levels.  70-75 is as high as I can comfortably listen.  Happy to report the clarity and lack of any amp noise is really amazing.  I still haven't fessed up to my wife about the price tag yet, but I am really happy so far.  

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 15
I picked up a fairly cheap sacd player last week. I just wanted to see what the sacd was all about before I went and dumped a bunch of money into it. I got a used Yamaha player, mainly because the review I read said that while the video performance was only average, it was really good at playing sacd discs. I have to say I wish I had done this about 10 years ago. I was in the concert hall, sitting in about the 10th or 12th row, it was that real. Now I am ready to get into this in a more serious way. Hard to justify the 105, but the 103 is looking real good to me now.

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 15
So what SACDs are you listening to? I've glimpsed at the SACD community for the last decade, and it seems that there are even fewer new SACD releases today than there were 10 years ago. 

A quick look at Amazon's webpage for SACD releases sorted by newest-first suggests a paucity of new material.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 15
havent heard that one, just recommended ones i have exp with! The 595 is a cheap one to get your feet wet with and since sacd is pretty much on lockdown the analog outs are good enough.  plus it offers surround output which is nice if you go surround sound later.  the higher end players are mostly stereo and if/when they break it hurts more $wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back