Longevity: Er-6i vs Super.fi 5 pro
Feb 24, 2006 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lunaticpuma

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I currently own a set of HD595 and have been looking for a portable phone with similar sound. I've narrowed my search to the er6i's and the SF5p's. I have a couple of questions. How often do the filters need to be replaced for the er6i's? I know it is dependent upon how often you wear them, but I was wonderig if it would be cheaper in the long run to go with the UE's since they don't have filters to replace.

Currently I can get the UE's for $160 off of earphone solutions of course or I can get the Ety's for $60 with some credit I have at buy.com.

So my dilemma is, is it worth it to go the extra $100 for improved durability and SQ or is it not that much of a difference?
confused.gif

My music choices include: Garbage (Love the Shirley Manson), DMB, Bond, Death Cab for Cutie, techno/electronica, some rap and R&B. Thanks for your input.

P.S. source would be ipod shuffle or PSP until an ipod that matches the shuffle SQ is released.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, if you listen to Garbage all the time, I don't know what you're doing on these forums!
biggrin.gif

But really, durability is more of a concern with higher end IEM's. Most likely, you'll find yourself upgrading long before they wear out.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 8
The super.fi 5 sound better on an absolute scale.

FWIW, I've read way more threads complaining about build issues with the super.fis than the Etys. I've rarely heard of cables and housing breaking with an Ety, but it seems to be somewhat common with the super.fi line, even though the Ety has been around longer, with more units in circulation. If you're going to be using these in typical IEM environments (outdoors, gym, etc), I would go with the cheaper and sturdier one...even if it does break, $60 doesn't feel so bad.

I haven't had to replace the filter yet in 2 months...I think it might be something like 6 months before sound is affected, but dependent on how much earwax you produce. I'd personally rather have an IEM with an inexpensive filter I could replace myself, than one with no filter which would be permanently clogged.

I have the HD 600, and find the Ety sound very pleasing and somewhat comparable. It has punchy bass and very good detail and smoothness in treble and midrange.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 8
I have the super.fi 5 pros (clear), and let me tell you: if there's something wrong with these, UE is always on the ball to get its products to be the best.

1.) They are coming out with a redone cable around June; sturdier, thicker, and robust.

2.) I dropped my UEs on the ground while running and scraped them on the ground under my foot (by accident!) Still look like new and no damage in the drivers.

3.) I know some people who had their earbuds crack (idk how though), and UE promptly sent them a new pair, no questions asked.

See, with UE, they seem to base their support on the fact that their customers are telling the truth, and by creating this open honesty and support to everyone, UE has prob. the best customer support (only rivaled to Shure).

Also, the super.fi 5 pros have biflanges; the other ones (etys) come with tri-flanges that everybody seems to cut off to make a biflange. UE knows what their people want
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunaticpuma
So my dilemma is, is it worth it to go the extra $100 for improved durability and SQ or is it not that much of a difference?
confused.gif

sf5 pro steps ALL over the er 6i. Spend the extra $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back