Long read but I Need your advice! Want to buy earphones/IEM/CEIM, $500 maximum.
Sep 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

azizbhimani

New Head-Fier
Hello guys :)

I am in the market for a pair of earphones. I have read, to no avail, many many reviews here and on the rest of the internet. But I come to you for guidance because there are way too many products out there and I don't want to make the wrong purchase and throw my money away. And since I can't listen to every product out there and determine for myself what it is I want, I come to you.

Price Range: $500+taxes
Use: Few hours everyday for listening to music.
Music genres: Deep House 

I am open to universal IEMs and even Custom IEMs. While you read, if you have any specific questions that pop up in your mind, please do ask me. I might be able to provide more details for you to help me.

I don't have a price bracket as such but I can afford to spend anywhere up to $500 plus taxes and shipping if need be. I have been saving up for a good quality pair of phones for a while and want to take it up a notch.

Bass: I am not a bass head by any means. Having said that, one of the most important aspects in the music I listen to is the bass. The bass in the genre I fill my ears with everyday provides a platform and base for the the rest of the music. Therefore it is very important the the earphones are able to produce the bass very well. I do not want something that rattles my brains with bass that is over powering. I don't want to only hear the bass. But I still need it to be there and be diverse. I want to be able to hear the "texture of the bass" as opposed to characterless thumps if that makes any sense. Also, the bass should not spill over excessively into the mids. But rather a pair where the bass compliments the mids. The bass needs to be there but need not be aggressive. The bass for me makes 40% to 45% of the track. Therefore it needs to be well defined, full of character and diverse. Not loud as if it is always fighting for the spot light in the track. I don't want my bass to be a drunken hooligan, but rather a charismatic and sophisticated Olympics athlete. It makes it's presence felt but is still humble and modest and doesn't show off. It peforms and gives it it's most articulate performance but is not aggressive. (that was the only way i could describe it :S)

Mids: The mids in the music I listen to give definition and character to the track. They must be clean/clear and at the same time be able to handle lower mid frequencies. Texture of the sound here is also very important. Many deep house tracks have vocals in them as well. So the earphones must be able to produce the vocals well also. The mids must compliment the bass and work together without overpowering the other and taking away from the track. Quality of the mids is extremely important as opposed to the quantity and aggressiveness of the mids. The mids make up about 40% to 45% of the track. They too need to be sophisticated and diverse without being shy or overly boastful.

Highs: The highs are usually present just to seal the deal in the sort of tracks I listen to if you know what I mean. Also, I have never been a fan of crisp, sharp highs. I usually find myself turning the highs down on my laptop. It is not of critical importance that a pair that you suggest must excel in performance as far as the highs are concerned but if it is a part of the package, then why not.

Once again to summarize, the music is more bass and mid oriented. I would say for me it makes up about 80% of the productions. But at the same time I am not a bass head or a fan of my brain being rattled. On the contrary, I love my base and mids to be well balanced, well defined and textured. More quality and balance over quantity.

Construction and Durability: I listen to at the most, 3 hours of music straight. After which I usually take a break. So they must be comfortable. But I will be using these pair of in ears almost every day. Whether it is for music, or for movies or for gaming, they will be in my ear a lot. They will be my go to pair of earphones, primarily for music. Every other activity will be secondary. So if I am spending up to $500, I would like these to last long and be durable. At the end of the day it comes down to how one handles their equipment but I have experienced that some products, even with the most delicate touch, don't last too long.

All suggestions are welcome. The more descriptive your answer is, the more helpful it will be for me. Also, once again if you have any specific questions, I would love to answer them to clarify and describe things further.

p.s: I am purposely not disclosing what I used to own as I do not want my previous preferences for phones to be used as a basis for your suggestions. And for the same reasons, I am not including samples of tracks I listen to.

Thank you for reading all of that :) I look forward to your guidance and suggestions!

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Sounds like the GR07 MK2 is up your alley. It's an all arounder that excels in bass, mids,and highs. The only other suggestion i could give are the Ety's ER-4S. They are the are very neutral in all aspects of sound but i prefer the Vsonics. I don't have experience with higher priced iem's than these, hopefully some other head-fier's can chip in
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Sounds like the GR07 MK2 is up your alley. It's an all arounder that excels in bass, mids,and highs. The only other suggestion i could give are the Ety's ER-4S. They are the are very neutral in all aspects of sound but i prefer the Vsonics. I don't have experience with higher priced iem's than these, hopefully some other head-fier's can chip in
wink.gif

+1

The GR07 mkII is exactly what op is looking for.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you phantompersona and gnarlsagan, I will definitely look into the options you have mentioned!

I was reading on a multi IEM thread and it sounds like the W4s by Westone might be something close to what I might be looking for. Obviously I haven't ever heard them before or any other IEM mentioned for that matter. But as far as the words used in the description/review are concerned, it seems like it might be a good option too.

I just ordered them earlier today after not getting any responses here. I was too impatient but I needed something quick! Also I found a fairly decent deal from one of the local authorized resellers. I saved close to a $100 after taxes and shipping.

Does anyone have any experience with the W4s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back