(LONG) Beyer DT931 / Corda HA-1 Review
May 20, 2003 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I originally wrote this for another hifi forum I frequent, but thanks to you guys I have an AWESOME headphone setup that I am now enjoying immensely. Its took me a good few days to get used to the sound, but now I'm loving it. So I may as well share this review with you guys also. So here I give you my review:-

Beyerdynamic DT931 / Meier Audio Corda HA-1 combination.

s_beyer.jpg

Source: Pioneer DV-350 + Cambridge Audio DAC3
Musical Tastes: Trance, techno, other electronica

I’d never really been that much into headphones, most of the pairs I’d had previously proved very unsatisfactory to me. Originally, I had used Sony MDR-V3’s (I think), which were ok, but they were getting a bit clapped out. Not that I ever took headphone listening that seriously anyway. When I got my first system, I ended up with some Sony MDR-CD280’s, and a B-Tech 928 headphone amp. This combination was a bit lifeless and boring to listen to, but I guess it was a true reflection of the speaker rig I had at the time.

Then I got a reasonably good deal on some Sennheiser HD497’s. However, I found these not too comfortable in the long run, with a dodgy intermittent cable connection, and again, were too laid back and lifeless. Not really a huge improvement on the Sony’s.

Still after something more lively, back in March I bought some Grado SR80’s. These were far too uncomfortable, and although they sounded good, I couldn’t bear to listen to them for more than a couple of hours. A great rock and roll headphone, but perhaps not as much so for dance, save for their impressive impacting bass.

Then came the rows about the noise. It was this time when I decided I needed some headphones which were not only comfortable, but sounded great. It was quite obvious at this stage that just headphones alone would not be enough. I would need an amp too. Put off Grado’s because they are too bright, and put off Senny’s because they were too dark / lifeless, I had to look around for a reasonable candidate.

I had searched around, and it appeared that the Beyerdynamic DT831’s were what I was looking for, even better, they were closed cans. Apparently the best closed cans you can get. In hindsight, I’m glad I didn’t go for these; apparently they are very thin in the bass. I had already placed an order for them, but luckily, there was none in stock, and I am an impatient man, so I cancelled the order. I rang around a few shops, and none had the DT831’s, but one offered me £20 off the DT931’s. So, after about an hour of demoing, I plumped for the 931’s, and the subsequent research about the 931 v 831 made me glad of my choice.

The next thing to do was find a suitable amp. First on my list was a Creek OBH-21, but a bit of research suggested the Meier Audio Corda HA-1 was the best amp for these cans at that price, a true synergistic match. Luckily for me, it went down in price, but even so, I delayed my decision for a while. I was uncertain whether an amp would really benefit me, but the more I got used to the headphones, the more I realised there was room for improvement. Eventually, I plumped for the Corda.

Which brings me to this review, I now have one of the best amps to use with the Beyer’s, and so I can review the cans safe in the knowledge that I am at least doing them some justice with a decent amp.

A few words about comfort, before I get started on sound quality. These headphones are relatively heavy at nearly 300 grams, and at first may take some getting used to. However, these have very nice velvet pads, and are really, really comfortable to wear. You can forget your wearing them sometimes, especially with crossfeed on, doing a passable impression of speakers at times.

The first thing that strikes me with these cans is their dynamic sound. Put simply, these cans have dynamics bordering on the ridiculous. The loud crescendo’s to some dance songs kick in with brutal, unrelenting, violent force. These definitely are NOT cans you can fall asleep to; they will wake you up and practically give you a heart attack in the process (as I’ve found out a good few times now). Try Binary Finary’s 1999 (Gouryella Remix), and you’ll see what I mean – truly ear piercing crescendo’s. They would be fantastic cans for movies in my opinion.

The next thing that struck me was their shear, unrelenting pace. These are ridiculously agile headphones, the bass is the fastest bass I’ve ever heard, and it can make dance music sound like its on speed. In a word, this aspect of it is AWESOME!! To some, the bass might seem a little on the lean, thin side, but it more than makes up for it with the kind of pace and timing that would quite possibly even shame a NAIM system. Certainly in this respect, it puts my Rotel / Mission combo to shame (no mean feat, I might add, since that too is a very agile combo); although the Rotel / Mission combo certainly has more slam for sure. Actually, perhaps slam is not one of the Beyer’s strong points, but when you hear how energetic it is, it more than makes up for it.

Bass extension is actually rather good too, although as I found out recently, you’ll need good interconnects to the amp to realise this potential. I tried it with an Ecosse CA-1 interconnect, and a Sonic Link Violet. The former had a warmer sound, less detailed, and it seemed to give these cans a veiled property, but they were less bright. However, the bass extension seemed relatively poor. Step in the Violet, this cable brought detail and excitement to the party, with taut yet deep bass, and finishes off the combo nicely.

As for the brightness thing, well from going from the Rotel’s headphone jack to the amp, it still seems just as bright to me, but it’s definitely smoother, less hard, more refined and less analytical. This is a bright headphone, but it allows you to hear everything in dance music, and it rocks too.

As for the midrange, well it’s really, really good in my opinion. Some people have stated they think the midrange is recessed out of the 120 ohm socket. Well, I don’t find that at all really. It sounds very natural, and female vocals sound very, very nice indeed. The bass is given a useful kick up the jacksie, and in my opinion simply sounds unobtrusively powerful, there’s not even the slightest bit of bloat here. Bass heads will be disappointed, but for those of us, who enjoy lean, adrenaline packed bass, will positively love these.

Finally, I’d like to talk about crossfeed. It seems to be a very subtle effect, maybe not even noticeable sometimes but it definitely seems to make a difference on some music, making the soundstage bigger, almost seemingly giving some music a “hall” type effect. At times, you may not even notice, but what you will notice is the lack of fatigue. Put simply, despite the liveliness, these headphones are not tiring in the slightest, as long as you keep the volume reasonable anyway.

Now, the bad points (well there had to be some). Firstly, these are perhaps not the first choice of cans to listen to at loud volumes. Their bright top end can make them a bit tiring when the volume gets high. I had these cans on at 12 o clock, and although they didn’t sound really loud, it was still enough to have my ears ringing for a good while. Turning them up further exposes just a hint of grain in the treble, but this is largely dependant on the quality of the recording too. As previously mentioned, they could perhaps do with just a touch more warmth and if they could do bass slam as well, they would simply be incredible headphones. Comfort is one of these headphone’s strong point, but the cable is not, the coiled cable can be irritating if you need to sit more than a few feet away from the amp. However, in the context of my setup, it hasn’t really been a big problem. The lack of an easily upgradeable cable (replacement must be soldered) also is a minus point for me.

To summarise, this is a superb combo for the money. Although I do not have much experience of other headphone setups, I like to think I know good sound when I hear it, and these definitely are. If you like your bass prominent and booming look elsewhere. If you like your treble laid back, or your music relaxing, look elsewhere. However, if the promise of ear flapping dynamics, amphetamine fuelled bass, crisp, lively, involving and open sound quality appeals, then this is definitely a combo to be taken very seriously indeed.

Pros
Startling dynamics, awesome pace, rhythm and timing, sweet extended treble, lucid midrange, excellent detail, all round involvement, groove factor, not tiring in the least with crossfeed enabled, and very, very comfortable.

Cons
Could do with a touch more bass slam and warmth, crap cable

May 20, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 15
Very comprehensive review, and right on target. You well described one of the better headphone/amp combos available. I spent many happy moments with this same set up.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 15
very nice read.

but i feel that there are much better amps out there for the DT931, albeit at much higher price. oh, i don't have any of them, but i have heard them; (like gerG's Headroom Max, the Melos Maestro, and the AKG SAC. in such company, i was not impressed with the Corda, finding it lifeless, grainey, and with compressed dynamics and limited channel separation).

but for what you have, a synergy (which is the most important aspect, after all) it is a fine choice and wish you many years of enjoyable listening. (maybe it's just the 1/8" plugs that puts me off of the Corda. and i replaced my DT931 cable with Mogami wires going to a 4 pin XLR Neutrik plug (for greater separation)).

May 20, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 15
Cheers guys,

Wallijonn, I dont doubt that there are better amps out there, and for that matter, better headphones, but as you yourself point out, they have good synergy, and whilst I can understand yours, and other audiophiles passions for "gear", for me it ends here - it doesnt sound lifeless and grainy to me (it is, perhaps a little crude and unrefined at times though). Truthfully, I have heard high end speaker based systems, and did not think they were worth the money, and I see no reason why I would not think this with a headphone setup. Better? Undoubtedly, worth the extra outlay? No way (IMHO).

So it ends here for me, I like it, and it'll serve me well for many years.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Paul...

...nice review and good choice!

peacesign.gif

May 20, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 15
I bet the guy gets new headphone, cdp, or amp in next 12 months :p

May 21, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 15
Well, one little thing that proved VERY positive was I used my Audusa Eupen CSA power lead that was previously on my Rotel integrated amp. On the Rotel, it had limited effect, bass was slightly stronger perhaps, and it didnt seem to go down in quality at certain times of the day.

I've just tried this lead on the Corda, and WHAT a difference it has made!!! The bass has more slam and prescence than before, the treble has been calmed and refined, and basically, much that was wrong with it before has been cured. I am still using stock leads on my other equipment, but needless to say more Eupens will be following on after this experience.

I cannot recommend these power leads highly enough, rated 5-star by Hifi Choice, these really, really work!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edited to add link to review: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1509

May 21, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 15
pb,

man, i can almost imagine what it sounds like.
biggrin.gif

congratulations on your find.

there must be a section in the Amp section which discusses capacitor replacements, replacing the rectifier diodes with fast switching diodes...
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 15
interesting, I thought the DT931's were generally boring/plain, just too laid back, no punch, etc. This was with the Meier Porta Corda 2. Replaced them with a set of DT770's, much better for electronic/trance/etc

May 22, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 15
Austonia, does the 770 combine well with the Porta Corda? Listening to it again this morning, these cans definetly have improved bass, yet i still find myself wanting for more bass slam than they offer in some songs...

May 22, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 15
are you sure you wouldn't rather get a Grado?

The Dt770 has more bass, or at least more bass bloat (and so do some Grado), but I find that it contaminates a large spectrum of the bass, specifically the lower midrange / upper bass region. whether or not it has more bass slam, i wouldn't know. i just didn't like their overall colouring.

May 22, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 15
DT770's works just fine with the Porta Corda 2. Plenty of power, I use this combo as my computer monitors & playing MP3's n stuff.

May 22, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
are you sure you wouldn't rather get a Grado?

The Dt770 has more bass, or at least more bass bloat (and so do some Grado), but I find that it contaminates a large spectrum of the bass, specifically the lower midrange / upper bass region. whether or not it has more bass slam, i wouldn't know. i just didn't like their overall colouring.

I tried the SR80's a while back, I did like their impressive bass, and I could not complain about that but, I could not wear them for any length of time, their highs were so piercing and they were so uncomfortable.....

One thing is for sure, while the 931's are lovely headphones in many respects, I am starting to think they are just a bit too "nice" if that makes sense....

When I compare them to my Rotel amp and Mission speakers (not a combo known for massive bass either), the 931's get destroyed for bass slam and prescence. I really like the speed and pace of the bass on the 931's, but at times its like I'm struggling to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back