Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Apr 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,651 of 2,910
Picked up a couple higher quality cables for using with the Realiser, and HOLY COW!!  what a difference.  went from crappy $1 HDMI and Toslink cables (Mac Mini HDMI before and PS Audio PWD2 after) to quality cables from Wireworld (SuperNova6 glass optical Toslink and Starlight 6 HDMI).  I also had an inexpensive PS Audio C7 powercord around that I used for the Mac Mini and put in the chain removing the stock cord.  The combined effect was quite amazing with the 2 ch music I was listening to.  Didn't do it incrementally so can't say anything for relative contribution.  Have a couple DAC's coming in tomorrow for testing that have Toslink inputs so will see how they do incrementally (that are in a different category from what I'm using now with the Realiser).

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,653 of 2,910

Quote:
I just bought a pair of SR-007 MK1's, with channel imbalance. Lorr explained that the Realiser will adjust channel imbalance, lets hope it's all good with the KGSSHV.

Wow... you're going to enjoy that combination :)  I love the Mk1's btw, sold my Mk2's and switched to Mk1's.  Also, if you have the HDMI version, definitely try all digital in/out

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,655 of 2,910
After reading reviews of the Realiser and this thread, I took the plunge in January and bought one without auditioning it (none I could find in Honolulu).  I bought it from Audio High in Mountain View, about an hour outside of San Francisco, who shipped it to me in Hawaii.  I also bought a Hifiman HE6 from  a head-fi member to use with the Realiser.  I was drooling at the thought of being able to "own" the sound of ultra hi-end systems.  If the Realiser worked as advertised, I would be selling all of my regular gear.

After a month of playing around with the Realiser, I visited Audio High and had two prirs done, one of the Peak Constant El Diablos and the other of the KEF Reference 207/7.  Check out the pictures on their website.  The guys there, particularly Jez--who did my prirs--were professional and down to earth, really nice guys.

Here's the rub:  When I use the Realiser (I listen to mainly 2 channel stereo), it sounds more like I'm listening to headphones rather than speakers in a room.  At times, I can sense the sounds coming from directions in front of me, but I don't get the soundstage, imaging, layering, separation of instrument, etc. that I hear when I listen to my speakers.   Did/do any of you have the same type of listening experience?  Perhaps it's just my ears or my psycho-acoustic processes. I emailed Lorr and sent him my files and he's been very helpful with suggestions.  

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,656 of 2,910
I had the HE-6, and I can agree with you some, but not completely. I too felt like I was listening to headphones and not speakers. It had nothing to do with the actual sound reproduction, but simply the build of the HE-6. The HE-6 was so heavy, and clamped so hard that I could not forget that I was wearing headphones. To me it messed with the illusion. That is why I sold them and went with STAX instead. Other than more accurate sound reproduction, I find them insanely comfortable. My advice however would be to stay away from the SR-507, it is not comfortable.  As for sound placement, I think the Realiser is spot on. When I did my PRIR at AIX, I could pick out the speaker placement to within a few inches.

The fist thing I would do is try and borrow a pair of STAX and set up a new HPEQ. see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you may have set up your mic placements poorly while measuring the PRIR. My second suggestion it to check your L/R speaker outputs. One time while re arranging things I accidentally wired the Realiser's L/R channels backwards. That sure made things sound funky. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #1,657 of 2,910
Although the Realizer can reproduce exact matching sound acoustics, it still cannot produce midrange imaging like a speaker can, headphone limitations apply, simply because you actualy feel treble/midrange coming from the speaker as vibration which hits your face and body, allowing you to experience the sound also. This is something Taket H2+ have tried to address with there Portable Super Tweeter.

Imaging is as I have experienced more full bodied with physical speakers.

This is something I can live with, the benefits of having a silent system out way having real speaker imaging.

The tactile transducers give life to low frequncies which make a huge difference to the virtualization of bass, the same cannot be said for the upper midrange though.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #1,658 of 2,910
  Perhaps it is the headphone limitation.  I'll try borrowing other headphones, including STAX, and I'll keep playing  around with the Realiser.
But at the moment, I get more pleasure listening to my speakers.  I use Green Mountain Audio Callistos and they have great soundstaging and imaging, something that's important in my listening enjoyment.  I may eventually end up selling the Realiser and HE6 and upgrading in the Green Mountain line.
Thanks for your responses.

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,659 of 2,910
Hiya,

Sorry if im asking a question someone already asked but I dont want to read back 111 pages..

1) Assuming you're calibrating on a poor setup.. If your setup at home is crap will you get a crappy sound from the realiser too?

2) Is it possible to share settings with other people ? I read alot about calibrating and how valuable it is to record from a high end setup.. I guess the realiser would only be any good for me if I could copy settings from others and try / tweak them to my own liking

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,661 of 2,910

Quote:
Hiya,

Sorry if im asking a question someone already asked but I dont want to read back 111 pages..

1) Assuming you're calibrating on a poor setup.. If your setup at home is crap will you get a crappy sound from the realiser too?

2) Is it possible to share settings with other people ? I read alot about calibrating and how valuable it is to record from a high end setup.. I guess the realiser would only be any good for me if I could copy settings from others and try / tweak them to my own liking

Yes you end up with crap, but its still fun to compare how bad your home speaker system is to a PRIR from AIX.

Yes you can share PRIR's with other folks and tweak all you want, but they will never be as good as the ones you do for yourself.
If you get the Realiser you really need to get your own PRIR's done.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,662 of 2,910

Quote:
Wish I could get some measurements here.... (Wisseloord, NL)

Ya that's sure is pretty, but with a headphone system like yours go to AIX  and have your PRIR's done right.
Lorr will come and setup the Realiser and ear mic's, AIX's sound engineer will setup there sound system placing you in the sweet spot forever.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,663 of 2,910
Thanks for your answer, SillySally

Im on the verge of buying a realiser from a german importer .. Note that the realiser here will cost around 3000 euros rather than 3000 USD so thats about 4000 USD for just the version without amp and headphones. Its alot of money to spend. I Told the importer about how I was not really interested in visiting studios or even travel outside my country to germany (which they offered me) to one of their events at the best german surround studio located in Munich / Germany just to get this piece calibrated.. So I told him maybe it isnt a good idea to invest that much money in something that needs alot of care and effort to sound good. He promised me he would load the unit with many profiles that they collected and made themselves over time and assured me there will be profiles that I would be happy with.

Ofcourse im talking to someone who's trying to sell me a 3000 euro piece of equipment so im a bit skeptical. What do you guys think? Also are there any places (maybe even on this forum) where we can share profiles? The importer told me you can just copy profiles and then import them to the realiser using the SD card reader. Yet I have not seen anyone share their profiles (I do understand people paid money for it and maybe rather not share?) Also in another thread I read the creators of the realiser were planning to share profiles to the public?

Then another question, If I get the HDMI version (which I think is standard now on any new unit) can it be hooked directly into a ps3 or tv or set top box system that's able to decode surround sound or do I need to get a special surround decoder to put between the sources I just mentioned and the realiser? Also if not needed do you guys still recommend it for a better sound?

EDIT -

I have beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones (open) - Are these any good for the realiser?

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,664 of 2,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I Told the importer about how I was not really interested in visiting studios or even travel outside my country to germany (which they offered me) to one of their events at the best german surround studio located in Munich / Germany just to get this piece calibrated.. So I told him maybe it isnt a good idea to invest that much money in something that needs alot of care and effort to sound good. He promised me he would load the unit with many profiles that they collected and made themselves over time and assured me there will be profiles that I would be happy with.

Of course im talking to someone who's trying to sell me a 3000 euro piece of equipment so im a bit skeptical. What do you guys think? Also are there any places (maybe even on this forum) where we can share profiles? The importer told me you can just copy profiles and then import them to the realiser using the SD card reader. Yet I have not seen anyone share their profiles (I do understand people paid money for it and maybe rather not share?) Also in another thread I read the creators of the realiser were planning to share profiles to the public?

Then another question, If I get the HDMI version (which I think is standard now on any new unit) can it be hooked directly into a ps3 or tv or set top box system that's able to decode surround sound or do I need to get a special surround decoder to put between the sources I just mentioned and the realiser? Also if not needed do you guys still recommend it for a better sound?

Just to clarify... the "calibration" is not "care and feeding" because the unit is not set up correctly when you get it.  The "calibration" is the procedure for "capturing" the sound of any listening environment you care to "capture". The result of this "measurement" is a digital file named a PRIR, that corresponds to how THAT LISTENING ENVIRONMENT sounded to YOUR PARTICULAR EARS.  It is not meant for someone else, just as somebody else's prescription eyeglasses are meant for use by you.  The process of "measurement' and creation of a PRIR is a "sonic photograph", and if the room sounds crummy then the PRIR will duplicate that crummy sound when you use it to play any content through it using headphones.  If it sounded fantastic, then the PRIR will also duplicate that fantastic sound when listening through headphones.

The "capture" process thus is used to allow you to build up a whole "library collection" of listening rooms you've visited and come away with a PRIR for that room.  You can then use any of them at playback time on the Realiser, to listen through your headphones as if you were once again actually in that listening environment playing the source program content through its real loudspeakers.  Except you're listening through your headphones, making use of a specific PRIR corresponding to that listening environment.

So-called "loading many profiles" (which I take to mean somebody else's PRIR collection) is really rather pointless.  Would you collect five other people's prescription eyeglasses and try them out as if you should expect terrific results, or would you go to the optician and get the truly precise prescription appropriate for your eyes?  Which do you think would give you the best results?  That's the same thing as borrowing somebody else's PRIR.  It's really meaningless to use somebody else's (other than the fact that you'll hear sound), because their ears, brain, skull shape, body, etc. are completely different from your own.  You don't HEAR things exactly the same way anybody else does, and that's why a PRIR is produced by microphones inserted in YOUR EARS, not somebody else's.

And that's why you don't read about anybody "sharing profiles (i.e. PRIR's)", because it's not really how the Realiser is intended to be used.  The PRIR is a custom-created digital file for you and you alone, providing a "sonic photograph" based on how YOUR OWN EARS perceived the sound of that listening environment.

As far as how the HDMI-INPUT connection to the Realiser is used, you must provide already-decoded discrete multi-channel digital LPCM sound via HDMI.  Alternatively you can provide already-decoded discrete multi-channel analog sound via the 8 RCA inputs to the Realiser, fed from the preamp outputs of an AVR or decoder or BluRay player or whatever.

However you get it decoded upstream from the Realiser, that's where it must be decoded. And it can then be delivered either digitally via HDMI (LPCM discrete multi-channel) or analog via RCA (discrete multi-channel).

So any digital source that can produce decoded discrete multi-channel digital LPCM data via HDMI, that's a device that can be used to feed the Realiser via HDMI.

And although I don't have an HDMI Realiser, based on my own personal recent onsite comparison with an HDMI Realiser at Smyth, I would say that all other factors in the whole input/output system being equal that there IS a small but observable improvement using the HDMI input method.  Not huge, and not mind-blowing.  But it's there (unless there's a placebo effect), and if you have the option available then you should definitely use it. However the analog RCA approach also produces wonderful results (I've been using this method for 3 years and have no complaints).

If you can do it, adding an external high-quality DAC at the headphone-output end of the process and using XLR connections from the DAC to your headphone amp... now that's where you're probably going to observe a very noticeable improvement over using the built-in DAC in the Realiser and its RCA outputs.  But that's because using an external DAC and XLR connections would probably improve ANY source sound fed to the headphone amp.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,665 of 2,910
Thanks alot for your explanation.. Getting a bit scared now to buy the Realiser.. I know alot of people in this thread probably look down on Beyerdynamic's headzone but the headzone doesnt need personal calibration. Would I be better off with a headzone or would even a Realiser without the proper personal calibration but with good templates to start from still sound better?

Edit -

Just to add what I mainly want to use it for: Games / Movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back