Logitech's Squeezebox Touch - opinions sought on quality
Aug 3, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #121 of 314

Alec are you using Soundchecks full mods...ie screen, wlan etc?

BTW in my case I had to go into the file and force wlan off as well as kill Samba.  Also bringing the buffer down to the min 3600 really brings it all together.

Right now I am working on a couple of other tweaks.  Operating system related....once I figure them out I will post them on my site.

Enjoy!

BTW I learned a lot from Soundcheck over the years since he helped me when I first got started with Linux years ago.  Since then I just pick up stuff here and there from books etc.  Also I will post on my site how to make it stick in case of a hard reboot etc.  Deciding whether to create a file or manipulate an existing file.
Quote:
Dynobot, I tried your tweaks and agree they are nicely beneficial! The soundstage images better and the music flows more naturally 
beerchug.gif

Where can one learn more about the ALSA and OS commands you and Soundcheck are using to make these setting changes? 

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #122 of 314
Hi Dynobot, yes I'm using all Soundcheck's mods and they are pretty great, too.

Having a way to save and apply your commands on reboot (and toggle them, I guess), like Soundcheck's tt -m tt -d tt -s switches would be nice, too!

Great work again, and I'm looking forward to your updates.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #126 of 314

Quote:
Does anybody know if the Soundcheck soft mods can be completely reversed by resetting the unit?

Yes, complete reverse; Soundcheck confirms this somewhere in the Slimdevices forums and I've tried it myself.
Disadvantage is that the mods are also gone after a firmware update.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #127 of 314
I searched this thread for "iTunes" compatiblity with the SB and there were no posts. :O Assuming someone else has the same questions: Does the SB intergrate with itunes nicely? Or does it read one's itunes library directly? If it can stream youtube from my laptop's chrome it might be very advantagous to my system. I just haven't been able to find answers to such questions in any of the official literature. Thanks. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #128 of 314
I think there's an iTunes extension or something in the server software, but I'm not sure how it's implemented since I don't use iTunes at all.  Don't have any experience streaming anything beyond the FLAC or PCM music either, since I solely use the Touch as an audio source for my headphone rig.

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #129 of 314
I searched this thread for "iTunes" compatiblity with the SB and there were no posts. :O Assuming someone else has the same questions: Does the SB intergrate with itunes nicely? Or does it read one's itunes library directly? If it can stream youtube from my laptop's chrome it might be very advantagous to my system. I just haven't been able to find answers to such questions in any of the official literature. Thanks. 

---------

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but here is my input. It may help.

When you buy a squeezebox you have to register an account and download some software to your PC. When setting up the software you instruct the software what iTunes library to 'look for' and mate up to.

From that point onwards the software runs in the background at all times. And the squeezebox reads your library.

iTunes gives no indication that it is linked to a third party account.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #130 of 314
Ah. So it uses the itunes library but not the itunes player to control? Or only with a logitech plugin? Interesting. I'm not surprised - I'm a bit ashamed of myself actually - that other's are using fancy 3rd party players to stream to the SB. This is my 3rd system, just for fun. But maybe it is time to jump ship to another player? 

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #131 of 314
Ah. So it uses the itunes library but not the itunes player to control? Or only with a logitech plugin?n 

You got it.

Doesn't matter if iTunes is running on your PC or not, so long as the squeezebox software is running the touch accesses your library.

Personally and without wanting to start an 'iTunes v mediamonkey etc' flame war, I see no need to change from iTunes.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #132 of 314
'iTunes v mediamonkey etc' flame war eh? I love how segmented head-fi is - I've spent most my time in the big LCD2 and Stax thread - in a good way!  There is a impressive depth of knowledge settled in all sub-forums. I guess that's why I've stayed around so long. 
cool.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #133 of 314
iTunes vs MediaMonkey, Apple vs PC, PS3 vs Xbox360, Squeezbox vs Sonos, LCD-2 rev 1 vs LCD-2 rev 2...I think wherever you have fans, you'll unfortunately run into fanboys...and I kind of have to include myself in that equation too.  Heh.

My choice on my comp for dealing with my library is MediaMonkey...not really so much because I hate iTunes or anything, but because I don't have an iPod or iAnything.  I also have been a user of FLAC for a long time.  So my library is in FLAC and I use MediaMonkey to convert on the fly to ogg when I'm syncing my PMP.  Suits my purposes, and that's all I really care about.  At any rate, iTunes is so ubiquitous nowadays that I would imagine most software has some measure of being able to share the library with iTunes, if not pull info from it.  That apparently includes "rival" content services like Amazon mp3.

A little more on topic, I'm thinking of trying out soundcheck's mods for fun this weekend.  I was joking earlier today that I've pretty much given myself a bunch of "homework", which includes upgrading the HDD on my PS3, troubleshooting my headphone rig, tweaking the SB Touch, and tube rolling the Liquid Fire.  Ah...love weekends!

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #134 of 314
Quote:
Hi LarsHP,  
What is your personal assessment about the low-jitter-clock mod ?
Did the overall performance of the SBT - Audio GD combo with red book files playback improved significantly ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Dino.

Just saw this. Sorry, I can't help you.
I haven't had time to open the SBT and solder it in. (I am not a DIY person in this context and I might have bought something I can't mount myself...)

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #135 of 314
Ok,

So reading through all of this, there seems to be some bits and pieces of agreed upon and well, not so much agreed upon information.  As well, it seems the majority around here have nothing but Bolder or other related modded touches that they are making assessments about.  From what I have understood thus far:

1) The device can be used as a standalone OR as a device connected to a PC/Mac/etc.

2) Even though it was rarely mentioned, no one seemed to argue more about the placement of the computer relative to the touch.  In other words, some strongly argued against having a computer anywhere near the touch while others didn't ever really say much about this subject.  What's the verdict on this and lets go even further.  Say we have a Plasma near the touch, does this somehow interfere with the touch?

4) I have been using a PC with a USB based device and some soundcards for my transport and have to say that ANYTHING I have tried via PC sounds aweful.  I would rather go back and run an old school Revox B225 through a nice preamp then waste my hi-end pre/dac via the PC.  What is it about the PC that gives such garbage sound???  Even coax into a DVD player sounds better!

5) Most have said the PS is irrelevent with the touch, referencing other material where high end PS were used with basically not much of any gains. Erin,  though never stating what PS is in use, is the ONLY person to counter this.  I'd love to know precisely what Erin is using for a PS and maybe Erin can make some more so others around here can have their go at how it sounds vs. the one in current use.

6) Has anyone ever seen the Alix device, something somewhat similar that runs Linux, uses a USB for a connection, but runs its own server.  If so, how would it compare to the Touch?

7) Lastly, is it possible to get good sound through a PC/Mac Mini/etc. or is the "only" or rather "best" way through standalone based servers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back