Logitech Sucks
Dec 8, 2004 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

ucbEE

100+ Head-Fier
I just recieved a set of logitech z2300 speakers. They suck. Is it because I'm sitting too close to them, they haven't been broken in yet, or is it that they actually suck? They are so freaking bottom heavy I feel like all my music is playing underwater. Source is an Echo Indigo. Senn HD280 sound ridiculously better then these. What a waste of money. Are computer speakers even worth it?

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucbEE
I just recieved a set of logitech z2300 speakers. They suck. Is it because I'm sitting too close to them, they haven't been broken in yet, or is it that they actually suck? They are so freaking bottom heavy I feel like all my music is playing underwater. Source is an Echo Indigo. Senn HD280 sound ridiculously better then these. What a waste of money. Are computer speakers even worth it?

Logitech do suck, and computer speakers are not worth it, they are great for video games, and watching dvds on your computer, for music, go headphones or some bookshelves.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Logitech do suck, and computer speakers are not worth it, they are great for video games, and watching dvds on your computer, for music, go headphones or some bookshelves.

Ditto

Logitech speakers are, "Hey look at me!!" speakers. Not bashing you at all, but they do sound muddy and have crummy bass. If you have the money, go with an amp and bookshelves. If not, try Klipsch Promedias, as they are MUCH better than Logitechs.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 69
I think locating a quality pair/set of PC speakers is hit-and-miss at best. Almost every example I've come across pretty much stinks. To make things worse, the people most qualified to review and let you know what might sound decent don't dabble in PC speakers, so you're largely on your own.

Instead of PC speakers, I recommended the Sonic Impact Tripath "T-amp" from X10.com or Target.com for $2X.00 and a decent set of bookshelf speakers. Lots of decent used bookshelf speakers for less than $100 on Ebay, often significantly less than $100. Look for a speaker that is 88dB sensitivity or higher--I'm running Paradigm Atoms (I paid $140/pair local) that are 89dB, have very decent bass, and play as loud as I would ever care to. The combo sounds VERY nice.

-coma

Dec 8, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucbEE

there aren't really many imo...a regular amp + 2 speakers on the used market and in the 300$ range will probably very often if not quite always offer very better overall performance results then a commercial major-mass-brand 2.1 or 5.1 system .. i fear this is not an imo , this is very likely the truth , both on specs and on critical listening.

Moreover it depends what you mean when you say "they suck", there might very well be a problem or a bad sinergy related to your particular setup

I compared some Logitechs' to Videologic 5.1 sirocco/dts system and i took the Videologic system for my desktop

anyhow I really wonder what would some hw reviewers write about an entry level amp + some full size (cheap) speakers if they used them on some pc games/music ...they probably don't contemplate even it as an option because the only options are the ready made Creative , Logitech and bla bla bla review bla bla bla another review
My bla bla bla have a sense : they rave and give high prise quite everytime new 5.1 very commercial system comes out ( Logitech seems to be on par with Creative for raves if not the main current mass vogue ) , and everytime the system is a plastic bulky one that doesn 't deserve anything new to discover if not a boomier bass or some differently decoded sound image on the bulky speakers .
Sorry Logitech if i was a bit rude - it was just for lolling at the mass commercial market philosophy .

Dec 8, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 69
my z5300 suck too :/
any logitech/creative speakers suck !!!
for music only hi-end speakres (< 2000$) or good headphones (<= sennheiser 580).

Dec 8, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 69
logitechs doesnt suck if you like BOOOOOM BOOOOM BOOOM BOOOM..and thats the flabby type at that.. lookatme lookatme! 500W RMS!
icon10.gif

just a FYI, logitech doesn't make speakers, they bought labtec over for their speaker arm.

Dec 8, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 69
Ok yes lets all bash logitech in this thread.

Seriously though, the problem is with their Satellites. They aren't properly matched with just a big sub. Also the majority of people who have these don't properly EQ them to compensate.

I'm in the process of building my own satellites using the old drivers but in a different enclosure, hopefully I'll get some of my mid-rage back. Until then the only thing you can do is take the lower freq.'s almos completely out and give a lot of midrage boost. The highs don't really need to be tweaked but I add a bit just because I like my music a little bright.

Bottom Line:
1. The problem is with their small satellites not giving ANY midrage.
2. Use EQ to compensate.
3. The will sound pretty good with the right settings but not great, but better than you think.

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 69
yep i have to concur with any of you saying that computer speakers suck, i have the creative t9000 or something kike that, its a 2.1 system. they bass sounds like when your on a bulivard and you pull up beside an el-comino with 2 1000 watt sub wolfers. all bass no... good bass/sound.

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 69
For some decent, non-overpriced computer speakers check out the Cyber Acoustics CA-3000 which I review here. For $20 they sound amazing, but unrefined. Unlike most multimedia speakers the focus of these speakers is the trebel, which can get quite detailed with a good source. The mids are a bit scouped though and the bass doesn't go very low, but for $20 I'm not complaining.

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 69
With proper EQ'ing, (like all the way down to one notch for the sub), my Logitech Z-680s do very well with games and movies. I honestly cannot recommend them to anyone for serious music listening. The just weren't designed that way.

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 69
Aego2 by Acoustic Energy is the best musical speakers that I have heard.
It is self-powered and sounds amazing. Particularly excel in midrange, for vocals and instrumental songs, you can't beat the Aego2.

You gotta hear to believe.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 69
DAMN! All this talk about PC speakers is making me want a better set. Just when I was all happy with my headphone rig.

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
With proper EQ'ing, (like all the way down to one notch for the sub), my Logitech Z-680s do very well with games and movies. I honestly cannot recommend them to anyone for serious music listening. The just weren't designed that way.

LOL I hear ya. Sometimes I find even the sub cranked down to the last notch above zero slightly overwhelming
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #15 of 69
I find it VERY overwhelming. I played Saint Saen's organ symphony on it and the pedal notes of the organ buried the whole orchestra with the bass knob turned all the way down. I am returning these damn things. I will have about 100 bucks store credit. Thinking about blowing that on some Shures E2C. Are they worth 70 bucks or so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back