LOD vs Headphone my X10 experience..
Jun 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MusicalChillies

Previously known as Sinth.
Ok I have just received my X10`s recently. From day 1 plugged in via my setup, Ipod Touch v2, Fii0 E5.
Last night I thought lets just plug them into the headphone socket also via the fii0. Oh dear, oh dear, they sounded friggin rubbish.
Now when I did this with my Denon`s, no real change really.
Is this due to the Denon`s being dynamic and the X10`s being an armature?
Plugged the X10`s back into the LOD and normallity resumed, no weird high treble and woeful sound. The subdued but clear sound came back.

Soo, is the LOD purer than I ever knew or what?
Whatever it is I will not be plugging back into the H port again. If I have to due to amp borking then the Denon`s.

This was with no itouch eq btw.
Stu

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 9
I guess I wouldn't say the Touch 2G HP out is crap. Maybe you feel that way about the iPhone. With the Westone 3s and the Touch 2G HP out, sans an amp, it sounds pretty nice to me. I have my T4 using a high-end LOD out of the Touch right now, sounds very nice. Now, using the HP out, without the T4 and still using the Westones. Sounds pretty nice. Could be amping via the HP out is a mistake, but the Touch sounds okay to me. Maybe the X10s are the cause. Have to try them, since I have them too.

My advice is to use the amp with the LOD, but not with the HP out (use that straight).

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks both,
As I said this wasn`t/isn`t the case with the Denons`s just the X10`s.
Maybe the X10`s require a completely pure input or flat input. As said the amp probably is just amping a poorer sound that they don`t like.
I suppose there are soo many iems that behave soo differently with X input that finding YOUR ideal setup is frustrating, pure luck....
Both decent iems btw.

On another note....
The X10`s. If I said I they lack the true clarity of the Denon`s (yip crystal) but I have heard "things under the floorboards that I didn`t with them" would that make any sense? i.e, lack total purity but deliver "purer" bass to hear things at that end of the spectrum rather than the other.

Can anybody relate to that via diff iems? (via lod obviously)

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 9
I have no problems when running my X10s from my iTouch 2G. Sounds great straight out of the headphone-out, and even better when paired with my amp.

The only thing I can think of is that the FiiO's Bass Boost is muddying up the sound. Not that the FiiO's bass boost is a bad thing, but the X10s hardly need help with their bass.

Dunno about the LoD, as I didn't even realize there were LoDs available for the 2G... now I have something else to buy
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Basically through the headphone jack, your E5 amplifies the already amplified signal (from the headphone jack).

Who invented this nonsense? It's quite a popular on head-fi. In terms of "amplification" you should know that signal from lod is more "amplificated" than from headphone jack set to maximum.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Agree line out is a preferred delivery from an iPod Touch (I own a decently expensive LOD cable and I do like it with my T4), but those links you site don't really explain much, just seem more confusing.

Your earlier post of the sound out of the HP out being amped sounding like crap, did you mean the Touch HP is crap, or using the E5 with HP out via mini to mini (something I have never done) sounds like crap?

I can say I use HP out to amp (via T4) both my Clips and Zune, and to me it sounds improved compared to no amp at all (but I don't always do it for convenience sake). Of course, the IEMs in use also matter, because some respond better to amping than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back