Little Help- Please!
May 11, 2017 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

keeferdog

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to the site and the headphone game in general. I really need help with a few questions, please. I own the Oppo PM 3's and yesterday received the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro (225 ohm) and Beyerdynamic's A20 amp (amp only- NO DAC)It was a bundle deal I found on Amazon. I had a Chord Mojo paired with an older Astell Kern ak100 but returned the Mojo to help fund the 1990's. I'm now, listening to the 1990's from the ak100 to the amp with a 3.5mm to RCA cable to amp- to 1990's. So, my question is, do I need a good stand alone DAC in between the ak100 and the amp to get the best source to feed the headphones? My initial thoughts on the headphones are, I really, really like them but a little on the bright side, from what I'm used to. The Oppo's have zero highs (decays quickly and hard to hear) and sound veiled compared to 1990's. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 3
Beyers are typically bright headphones...adding a warm sounding DAC,like a Mojo,will help a bit,but it wont drastically change the overall tone to the point where it will sound warm...

Some brain/ear burn-in is required when switching to a drastically different sound HP then from what youre used to...give it some time and see if you still find the 1990s to be too bright.

For me personally the Beyer T1 was my first real HP,and even coupled with an OTL amp I ultimately found it to be too bright for my tastes,YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back