Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #10,951 of 13,438
I have to thank you again Scutey for all your help and advices. I am like a kid asking daily for stuff and I hope I am not becoming annoying.
I just took a look on ebay and saw that these tubes have much smaller prices in the US than Europe (almost half the price?).
For example these ones in UK:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/6SN7WGTA-JAN-PHILIPS-ECG-NOS-/270762188350?hash=item3f0aaf1e3e:m:malxRgSUgLyK7SLP2Qjuh8w
I will continue to check the offers since the adapters will come in 1 month. Then, who knows, maybe I will try some 6SN7 just to see how they sound. If possible I will choose to buy from EU since I avoid extra taxes and transport. But of course, if the price difference is big I can try to oder directly from US. I have 4 pieces of 6N6P-IR so there is no hurry.
Maybe I have worse ears than others, but for me the 2Qute with Voskhods and 6N6P-IR sounds heavenly. It has that amount of aggressivity and speed I always wanted and makes T1 sound very clean and full.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #10,952 of 13,438
By the way I found by mistake these russian 6H8C:
https://www.olx.ro/oferta/vand-6-tuburi-electronice-rusesti-6h8c-6sn7-ID8fuyZ.html#91d380aaac
Anyone knows if these are ok for MK series? The price is cheap, and they are 6 ('73 and '77 from what I see on the picture)
It seems these are russian equivalents of 6SN7 but I do not know anything about them.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #10,953 of 13,438
  By the way I found by mistake these russian 6H8C:
https://www.olx.ro/oferta/vand-6-tuburi-electronice-rusesti-6h8c-6sn7-ID8fuyZ.html#91d380aaac
Anyone knows if these are ok for MK series? The price is cheap, and they are 6 ('73 and '77 from what I see on the picture)
It seems these are russian equivalents of 6SN7 but I do not know anything about them.

i have some 6H8C from Reflektor plant dated 1962 . I was  told they were the  good ones to have with the tab each side on top .                                                                                                                                                                                  

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #10,955 of 13,438
  So, should I try these as power tubes when my adapters arrive or I should go "the normal way" finding some Philips as Scutey suggested?

Half the fun is trying them out since Russian tubes  are not expensive. Philips why not .There's no really bad choices just many flavors find yours .That's the way i look at it .

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #10,956 of 13,438
  So, should I try these as power tubes when my adapters arrive or I should go "the normal way" finding some Philips as Scutey suggested?

​Maybe narrow it down to 2 or 3 types of tubes you like the look of, see what the consensus is on them and then check the sort of prices on ebay etc and then make a decision. take your time looking and deciding. Unless you can try them first, and that's probably impossible most of the time, there is going to be a leap of faith when buying some tubes, you could go the cheap route something like the Foton, and if you don't like it you haven't lost too much, or the more expensive old stock/ NOS route, Sylvania, RCA, Raytheon etc and, if you don't like them you could resell them and probably get back most, if not all what you paid for them. BTW keep on asking the questions when your not sure about something, that's what Head-Fi is all about, after all it's what I do! :)

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #10,957 of 13,438
WOW! It's nice to see this thread blossoming again.
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #10,958 of 13,438
  Half the fun is trying them out since Russian tubes  are not expensive. Philips why not .There's no really bad choices just many flavors find yours .That's the way i look at it .

You are right Mike, the pleasure is in the trip and not only in the destination. I wrote to the guy since he sells them very cheap (25USD for 6 pieces) and the transport is almost free since he lives in the same country as me. So for 25USD I think I will buy them and we will see what will happen later. I will try to find more info about them because it seems they are not "well known" as other brands.

Later edit: I talked to the guy and seemed a nice person. So for 25 bucks I decided to take them. Hopefully I will find something good in them otherwise I will soon need a new house to keep all my unused tubes. And of course, I have to wait for the adapters. If I will not like them I will add 6 new ones in my collection.
A good friend of mine makes already jokes on me like "there are several nuclear rocket powers in the world and one of them is me, so he tries not to upset me".
What to say, if I will get upset I will put my HPs on his head and put him to 20hrs of Black Sabbath. Might be a torture, might be a relief. He knows.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #10,959 of 13,438

You are right Mike, the pleasure is in the trip and not only in the destination. I wrote to the guy since he sells them very cheap (25USD for 6 pieces) and the transport is almost free since he lives in the same country as me. So for 25USD I think I will buy them and we will see what will happen later. I will try to find more info about them because it seems they are not "well known" as other brands.

Later edit: I talked to the guy and seemed a nice person. So for 25 bucks I decided to take them. Hopefully I will find something good in them otherwise I will soon need a new house to keep all my unused tubes. And of course, I have to wait for the adapters. If I will not like them I will add 6 new ones in my collection.
A good friend of mine makes already jokes on me like "there are several nuclear rocket powers in the world and one of them is me, so he tries not to upset me".
What to say, if I will get upset I will put my HPs on his head and put him to 20hrs of Black Sabbath. Might be a torture, might be a relief. He knows.

Talking about these russian tubes i started looking on Ebay and found these tubes there's 6 of them from fifties NOS  guy was asking $30.00 igot them for $20.00 and are similar to the ones i have so they should be good                                                                                                                                 

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #10,960 of 13,438
  Talking about these russian tubes i started looking on Ebay and found these tubes there's 6 of them from fifties NOS  guy was asking $30.00 igot them for $20.00 and are similar to the ones i have so they should be good                                                                                                                                 

Hi MIke, what are those Foton tubes like, are they any good?.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #10,961 of 13,438

Hi MIke, what are those Foton tubes like, are they any good?.

For the price i like them there not the bassiest of tubes like the Kenrad VT-231 but they have a nice clean balanced sound this is on a Crack with Speedball and Senns HD 800S sounded a little thinner on MK3 but as they say your ears and your gear 

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #10,962 of 13,438
The tubes from this guy are from '73 and '77 (the ones I asked about) and I think it is a very big difference from the ones from '50s and '60s and these. And they do not seem to be made by Foton.
I read some forums and all claim some of them are good, some very bad. I have to call him again to send them, because he asked me to confirm this evening.
I have to decide fast if I take them or not.

OK, decided, life is too short to think too much for 25USD:
- I took the russian 6H8C and I will try them when adapters arrive
- I took also 2 Philips 6SN7WGTA (green marking) (the ones which Scutey advised)

My shopping is done, now let's hope adapters arrive and I can try them. I am curious to see if C3G + any of these will sound better than actual setup.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #10,963 of 13,438
  The tubes from this guy are from '73 and '77 (the ones I asked about) and I think it is a very big difference from the ones from '50s and '60s and these. And they do not seem to be made by Foton.
I read some forums and all claim some of them are good, some very bad. I have to call him again to send them, because he asked me to confirm this evening.
I have to decide fast if I take them or not.

OK, decided, life is too short to think too much for 25USD:
- I took the russian 6H8C and I will try them when adapters arrive
- I took also 2 Philips 6SN7WGTA (green marking) (the ones which Scutey advised)

My shopping is done, now let's hope adapters arrive and I can try them. I am curious to see if C3G + any of these will sound better than actual setup.

I hope you enjoy your new tubes Octavian, getting new tubes is always a bit of a gamble until you hear them for yourself, I've just busted my wallet on some Ken-Rad JAN-CKR GT's and am wondering if I did the right thing, but, as you say, life is too short, so if I don't like em i'll have a bit of a grumble and sell them on and just put it down to one of life's little mistakes!. Oh and i'll be keeping me fingers crossed you like those WGTA's! :).

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #10,964 of 13,438
While the 6SN7 is a great audio tube, don't forget about the 5687. This tube was developed for use in early computer circuits and as a result it is very linear with low distortion. Further, the heater current draw is 0.9A at 6.3V, which makes it better suited to drive low-Z cans.

Like the 12AU7, these can be used in both 6.3 and 12.6 volt circuits. So you need to use an adapter to allow it to be used in an ECC88 socket, such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5687-To-6N6-6N2-ECC88-Vacuum-Tube-Amplifier-Convert-Socket-Adapter-/152506153990

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #10,965 of 13,438
So despite having owned my little Dot mk III for about 5 year now, I never got into tube rolling.  I decided that needs to change.  I'm starting out looking for some relatively inexpensive tubes to try out, and I started with a matched pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EVs that I found for $16 on ebay.  It'll be interesting seeing what sort of difference they make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back