Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #7,246 of 13,438
Aug 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #7,247 of 13,438
Very nice! I didn't know you have a tube tester OK i'am moving to Montreal LOL.:D Thank you for the offer!

Does VIA still run the Bullet Train to Montreal? You could be there in an hour and a half...

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #7,249 of 13,438
Well guys, looks like you just might not be free of me after all lol!

Have decided to let my local repair man, who does a lot of work on old "valve" radios, have a look at my LD. So hopefully we will get some idea of just what happened and what needs to be done...as per lemonjelly's postings. My feller mentioned anode resistors and possible caps/coupling caps as well as cathode resistors...it looks like he's gonna give it a good going over at least. And if the bill isn't too steep, I just might have my beloved amp back in my arms!

Too bad the Little Bear is on its way, but it should be a fun project and a not-too-expensive one...

Will keep you all posted...

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #7,250 of 13,438
Will i was in luck that i found a guy that have a tube tester but on the other hand my tubes were tested shorted and low.
frown.gif

I should test them as soon as i got them but instead put them away and forgot about them now i a can't returned it.

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #7,251 of 13,438
  Will i was in luck that i found a guy that have a tube tester but on the other hand my tubes were tested shorted and low.
frown.gif

I should test them as soon as i got them but instead put them away and forgot about them now i a can't returned it.

I run all new tubes in my amp for around an hour. This alone is a pretty good test. But even so, it would be nice to have a tube tester, especially for double triodes. It would be great to be able to test both sides to see if one might be significantly lower than the other.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #7,255 of 13,438
And if only one side is low, the sound of one channel might be slightly lower than the other. The effect on the sound may well be subtle and somewhat hard to hear. But perhaps you could hear it if you were able to compare the unbalanced tube with another identical tube whose sections are more closely balanced.... 

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #7,256 of 13,438
  And if only one side is low, the sound of one channel might be slightly lower than the other. The effect on the sound may well be subtle and somewhat hard to hear. But perhaps you could hear it if you were able to compare the unbalanced tube with another identical tube whose sections are more closely balanced.... 

So now i have more understanding why some of the tubes sounds unbalanced.THANK YOU!

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #7,257 of 13,438
Hi,

Yesterday I was using my 6080s planning to do a comparison test with the 6832, 7963 and 5687 tubes. As you may recall my fans draw air away from the amp. Suddenly I smelled a whiff of acrid smell. Mindful of all the warnings from Gibosi and TD about running 2.5A tubes I immediately shut off my Little Dot and the rest of the system. The faint smell went away, and I switched the 6080s for 6SN7 tubes.

Plugged in everything - all is OK, but I decided against taking a chance of running 6AS7/6080 tubes again in the LD MKIII. Problem is that I love the sound of these tubes - the bass is so much better. The 6SN7 tubes are OK, but they lack the heft and authority of their big brothers.

So what is the next step? Should I try the 5687 tubes as power tubes? Will they have enough power to give me the bass I like? Would they be an improvement over the 6SN7s?  In addition, I would have to buy two special adapters.

Or should I go the way of the other members on this forum who bought other amps? I think I know what I want: An amp that uses 6080/6AS7 tubes or similar as power tubes, and uses dual triodes as drivers. It has to be able to be used as a pre-amp as well as headphone amp. In addition, I want a protective circuit that allows me to use a DC coupled amp. (My old Sony ss amp has a protective circuit, but I can't use my Outlaw RR2150 receiver.)

Little Dot makes a model that seems to have the specs I want - the MK9. However, I cannot find much of reviews or user information on this amp, and it seems that there is no English manual for it yet.  Does anybody have any information?

I am open to suggestions for an upgrade, but I am not ready to build something myself. I realize that I could get whatever I want if you spend enough, but I am looking for the biggest bang for the buck (the LD MKIII certainly fits this criterion).

The MK9 is around $500. It seems to me that some of the amps mentioned here like the Glenn and the Woo 2 are much more expensive, and the Crack is DIY.

Any advice is appreciated.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #7,258 of 13,438
  Hi,

Yesterday I was using my 6080s planning to do a comparison test with the 6832, 7963 and 5687 tubes. As you may recall my fans draw air away from the amp. Suddenly I smelled a whiff of acrid smell. Mindful of all the warnings from Gibosi and TD about running 2.5A tubes I immediately shut off my Little Dot and the rest of the system. The faint smell went away, and I switched the 6080s for 6SN7 tubes.

Plugged in everything - all is OK, but I decided against taking a chance of running 6AS7/6080 tubes again in the LD MKIII. Problem is that I love the sound of these tubes - the bass is so much better. The 6SN7 tubes are OK, but they lack the heft and authority of their big brothers.

So what is the next step? Should I try the 5687 tubes as power tubes? Will they have enough power to give me the bass I like? Would they be an improvement over the 6SN7s?  In addition, I would have to buy two special adapters.

Or should I go the way of the other members on this forum who bought other amps? I think I know what I want: An amp that uses 6080/6AS7 tubes or similar as power tubes, and uses dual triodes as drivers. It has to be able to be used as a pre-amp as well as headphone amp. In addition, I want a protective circuit that allows me to use a DC coupled amp. (My old Sony ss amp has a protective circuit, but I can't use my Outlaw RR2150 receiver.)

Little Dot makes a model that seems to have the specs I want - the MK9. However, I cannot find much of reviews or user information on this amp, and it seems that there is no English manual for it yet.  Does anybody have any information?

I am open to suggestions for an upgrade, but I am not ready to build something myself. I realize that I could get whatever I want if you spend enough, but I am looking for the biggest bang for the buck (the LD MKIII certainly fits this criterion).

The MK9 is around $500. It seems to me that some of the amps mentioned here like the Glenn and the Woo 2 are much more expensive, and the Crack is DIY.

Maybe get a used crack i see them for 400.00 -$500.00 assembled  but make shure you see hires pictures of it compared to the crack assembled by somebody who really knows what he's doing ,
and also that it is a clean assembly and you compare the 2 amps and you will see soon enough if the guy followed and did everything he was supposed to by the book .Like they say a picture is worth a 1000 words .

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #7,259 of 13,438
  Hi,

What about Littlebear see Hypnos1's post.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back