Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #1,576 of 13,432
After spending a bit more time testing my 5915 (6BY6) tubes on both regular "floater" and "strapped" EF95 setting and going back and forth a few times to compare, I can definitely validate my earlier subjective conclusions on sound quality and balance. Both settings yield excellent results, but the "strapped" mode definitely liberates the soundstage and makes it into a seemingly limitless field of sound, whereas the "floater" mode, while quite large, has a more intimate soundstage with instruments very well separated but squeezed closer together.

Floater mode is more immediately pleasing and euphonic, with great detail and realism, excellent separation and nice bass, excellent for casual listening; but strapped mode is a whole step above in terms of detail and the "being there" effect, and also has drier and possibly cleaner bass, not weaker than than in floater mode, and more treble and high mids energy. It sounds more balanced, whereas floater mode is a bit darker all in all.

Speaking of more treble energy, I have had some trouble reproducing the volume pattern that seemed obvious to me on my first try. While the strapped setting definitely is a bit louder for music, I am not sure that difference is still that relevant for weaker signals. On the strapped setting, it seems like I can turn the volume up about as much as I want without the sound getting immediately louder, but more like everything on the stage is just becoming more intense, more boundless and strong if you will. I was actually a bit bothered by this when watching a movie last night, as whatever volume I used, the audio was never loud -I mean it was still plenty loud though lol- but just intense and surrounding; realistic at any rate, as it sounds like you're in a room, theater, opera room or open field. Both settings require me to go very high -too high imo- on the volume knob to watch videos though, as I need to get close to 12 o'clock to get things even a bit loud (I need 10 with my 6AV6, which is quite a major difference!).

About the slightly higher perceived volume for music -loud signals- on the strapped setting, I think the extra treble and high-mids energy plays a large part in that sensation, in that, I might be getting a bit more volume but perceive much more because of that.

Anyway, don't panic because I mentioned treble energy; on my headphones, when I hear some powerful -not hot- high mids and treble frequencies and everything else at about the same level, it just basically means that I'm getting a very balanced sound originally; so you probably wouldn't even notice it with, say, HD650 or such; it would sound great on them actually, considering their "dark" nature.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,577 of 13,432
Would the 6CS6 be similar sounding to the 6be6. The telefunken and the siemens seem to sound  better than the other brands am i correct .i am still with the 6AV6 they seem to have settled down in the treble department or probably i did i think its more along those lines  i guess i really like those tubes soundstage wow . to be honest i like all the tubes we tried recently LETS GET SOME MORE. Ideas. I've tried the 6136,the,6ah6wa, 6av6,6cb6a,6ew6, am i up to date or is there something potentially better sounding. thanks.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,578 of 13,432
Since the 6CS6 is similar to the 6BE6 and the 6BY6, I expect that it will sound similar. However, I do not have a pair of these, and to my knowledge, no one has posted any impressions, so I really do not know... I hope someone (maybe you?) will get a pair of these and tell us how they sound. :)

Using the EF95 setting, I think the best sounding 6BE6 (EK90) are the Siemens and the Telefunken. I also really like the Amperex 6BY6 (E91H).

Considering the 6AV6, I think the Mullard and the GE sound pretty good. And you might also want to try a pair of RCA 6AV6 with black plates.

And yes, I think you are up to date!

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #1,579 of 13,432
Quote:
Since the 6CS6 is similar to the 6BE6 and the 6BY6, I expect that it will sound similar. However, I do not have a pair of these, and to my knowledge, no one has posted any impressions, so I really do not know... I hope someone (maybe you?) will get a pair of these and tell us how they sound. :)

Using the EF95 setting, I think the best sounding 6BE6 (EK90) are the Siemens and the Telefunken. I also really like the Amperex 6BY6 (E91H).

Considering the 6AV6, I think the Mullard and the GE sound pretty good. And you might also want to try a pair of RCA 6AV6 with black plates.

And yes, I think you are up to date!

I still really want a pair of those Siemens EK90's to compare to my telefunkens.

I think I'm going to pickup a pair of Amperex E91H's to try as well. Based on my research the E91H should not use the 7-1 strap ever since Grid3 is designed specifically for pulse shielding, not signaling.

Also w00t for 400 posts!

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,580 of 13,432
Quote:
I think I'm going to pickup a pair of Amperex E91H's to try as well. based on my research the E91H should now use the 7-1 strap ever since Grid3 is designed specifically for pulse shielding, not signaling.

I figure we can't know for sure until we try both settings. As our understanding of exactly what is going on in these tubes as they are strapped into various configurations is very limited, it is very difficult to predict in advance how they will perform. For now, what I can say is that they sound incredibly good to me with grid 3 floating.

However, I won't be able to try the 1-7 strapping for a while as I am now back in triode land....

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,581 of 13,432
I'll give both a shot once i get them, coming from Colorado to NY should be by next week.

-edit-

So I the 7-1 strap on my TS 6BE6 and so far the results are bass seems much more forward and mids seems a bit recessed. Seems like standard V eq.

Drums to sound really amazing on this setting while listening to some Muse.

...more to come.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,582 of 13,432
Quote:
I'll give both a shot once i get them, coming from Colorado to NY should be by next week.

-edit-

So I the 7-1 strap on my TS 6BE6 and so far the results are bass seems much more forward and mids seems a bit recessed. Seems like standard V eq.

Drums to sound really amazing on this setting while listening to some Muse.

...more to come.

While at first, I thought that the strapped setting didn't sound that much better or just a little better than the floated setting, upon re-trying, I found it to be a clear improvement imo.

It does sound less intimate and warm to me than the floated setting but it's also less bloated and much clearer though, and I have found that it is, all in all, more balanced. Mids also seemed a bit less emphasized to me at first -more like high mids and treble seemed more emphasized instead, strings and wind instruments- but after a few hours of listening, the mids are clearly still there and the bass is more defined and articulate; I would say the highs aren't so much stronger than they are just clearer, which gives that temporary sensation of recessed mids before you forget the way it sounded before.

And yes, drums and wind instruments sound absolutely amazing on that setting, just there, musical and realistic -on my Tele/vania 5915/EH900S that is.

Basically, floated setting sounds very "pentode-like", whereas strapped setting sounds like a hybrid with everything I love about my best pentodes, and the detail and realism I loved about my best triodes; that, and the boudnless soundstage (I listened to the remastered Fleetwood Mac Rumours last night, I don't believe I ever heard those songs sound so real and stage-like; listen to the song Dreams from that record on that setting and you'll understand what I mean).

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,583 of 13,432
My impressions we're with only one hour on that setting, normally grid 3 has no current, correct? So hopefully with some more burn in I'll start to hear the that endless soundstage you mentioned. That being said I do quite like what i heard with the Muse tracks I demo'ed with, especially the new album in 24/96! It was like seeing them live, which I did in April. My DAC upsamples to 192kHz which gives it a more airy sound.

Also now that i know its safe i'll give it a go on the Telefunkens.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #1,585 of 13,432
Quote:
currently using the EF95 Voshkods but was wondering if is there any tubes that would give more lush and full mids? Was thinking of either trying the Mullard m8100 or M8161

For EF95, M8100 is great for mids, Telefunken 6AK5W is better but a bit pricy.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,586 of 13,432
i like the 6av6 so i ordered some JAN G.E., JAN RCA, WESTINGHOUSE, and some   SYLVANIAS. will see how those compare to each other. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,587 of 13,432
Quote:
My impressions we're with only one hour on that setting, normally grid 3 has no current, correct? So hopefully with some more burn in I'll start to hear the that endless soundstage you mentioned. That being said I do quite like what i heard with the Muse tracks I demo'ed with, especially the new album in 24/96! It was like seeing them live, which I did in April. My DAC upsamples to 192kHz which gives it a more airy sound.

Also now that i know its safe i'll give it a go on the Telefunkens.

I to like the latest Muse album especially SURVIVAL accordind to my playcount i heard 57 times i guess i like it  i also have the 24/96 high def version ,pretty awesome punchy sound saw them originaly on tv for the olympics pretty memorable set.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #1,589 of 13,432
Came across an inexpensive deal for three 1950's 6AQ6 Sylvania tubes ($3 each including shipping). These are part of the 6AV6 family, but I have not seen anybody testing them yet. My personal preference is other tubes. Perhaps somebody may be interested in these tubes so I am listing the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6AQ6-Diode-Triode-Tubes-Sylvania-1950s-NOS-Lot-of-3-Tested-Strong-/251289555588?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a82065284

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,590 of 13,432
Dear siles 1991,

Why don't you take the plunge and buy a pair of Tung Sol 6AH6WA tubes instead of the Mullards? I have both the Voskhods and the Mullard 8100, and IMHO the TS are better. Substantially better.

Then take those old broken earbuds that are sitting somewhere and cut two thin pieces of stranded wire a little longer than a standard staple, and make the 2-7 jumpers, using the EF95 setting.

The rest is history.....

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back