Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jun 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #1,532 of 13,432
Quote:
does this mean I can't play any more? does anyone else have the lowly mk3 v1.0?

My opinion.... If you can successfully use EF91, EF92 and EF95 tubes, I can see no reason why you cannot also use these new tubes. Have you burned your new tubes in for 20 hours? Again, until you have done this, it is too soon to draw any conclusions...

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,533 of 13,432
If you can use the regular 6.3V driver tubes, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to use all the tubes that have been rolled here.

If I recall, you shouldn't use 6N30P power tubes on the MK III v1 though. But all those new drivers tube shouldn't be any more risky then stock 6AK5 or the -actually very high gain- EF91 type.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #1,534 of 13,432
Quote:
I got the ek90 6be6 today, plugged them in to find they both hum, I put in the second pair but they hum too. i have a little dot mk3 first edition. Am I really that unlucky? my only hope for these new tube types is the Sylvania GB 6136 6AU6 Gold Pin I have yet to receive. When I read about all your collective experiences with these new types of tubes, I really want to get in on the action, we all want the best sound we can get but so far I have not found anything that sounds acceptable never mind outshining any of the ef95 tubes i have. Am I doing something wrong? Is my amp different from all of your amps? I have bought two pairs of the Tung Sol 6au6 and two pairs of the Siemans 6be6 as well as the socket converters and the sylvania 6au6 gold pin so I am into this for over £100 now but to no joyful aural experience.  Any advice or comments would be gratefully received as right now I am really disappointed.

One thing i noticed once about my mk3 i had that hum once it could be interference from something next to it maybe cordless phone to close to pc try that who knows i removed my phone come to think of it no more hum nothing to loose

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,535 of 13,432
Quote:
If you can use the regular 6.3V driver tubes, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to use all the tubes that have been rolled here.

Makes sense to me. I would give it a shot.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,536 of 13,432
"If everything else fails, read the instructions:" From the Little Dot MKIII manual p 3:

" Static/Noise in one or both channels: Try cleaning the tube pins to free them of oxidation. Also check
for sources of interference nearby such as wireless routers, telephone base stations, and other RF
emitting devices.
Check the fuse and re-seat it so that it makes good electrical contact. Move all
switches back and forth several times to “loosen” them, and then set them securely into position. "

"Ground Loops: In systems where the components have multiple paths to ground, you may notice a 60
Hz hum on the Little Dot output. Please only use a cheater plug power-cord as the last resort, as this
can be a safety hazard. To resolve ground loop issues, the better method would be to use a ground
loop isolator. The ideal method would be to solve the ground loop at its source by connecting all
components to common ground and/or have your electrical wiring checked by a professional electrician."

Here is a link to the manual. Most of the recent questions posed about tube compatibility etc are answered here:

http://fl210.blog.163.com/blog/static/5666792220109314356477/

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,537 of 13,432
Quote:
I got the ek90 6be6 today, plugged them in to find they both hum, I put in the second pair but they hum too. i have a little dot mk3 first edition. Am I really that unlucky? my only hope for these new tube types is the Sylvania GB 6136 6AU6 Gold Pin I have yet to receive. When I read about all your collective experiences with these new types of tubes, I really want to get in on the action, we all want the best sound we can get but so far I have not found anything that sounds acceptable never mind outshining any of the ef95 tubes i have. Am I doing something wrong? Is my amp different from all of your amps? I have bought two pairs of the Tung Sol 6au6 and two pairs of the Siemans 6be6 as well as the socket converters and the sylvania 6au6 gold pin so I am into this for over £100 now but to no joyful aural experience.  Any advice or comments would be gratefully received as right now I am really disappointed.

(Bold in the above quote added by me...)  zedmeco has absolutely no problems with humming or any other noises when using his current EF95 tubes. He is experiencing problems only with these new tubes. And therefore, I still believe that these tubes just need to be thoroughly burned in. And while there are no guarantees, it is very likely that they will quiet down in time.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,538 of 13,432
Quote:

Couldnt waist a good picture i had lying around . But anyways   REPENT !!!!!   
size]

size]

Hey mikelap, I love Anthony Hopkins ALMOST as much as silver!!...Go on - gi' us a kiss!!!

Bell wire rules, OK...(smile).

Anyway, keep on truckin' there boy.
BFN

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #1,539 of 13,432
Recently, I received a couple of small packages and as a result I have returned to Heptode land. :)

A pair of Tung Sol 6BE6. Does anyone have a pair with O-getters?

A pair of Telefunken EK90.

A pair of Siemens EK90. I noticed that some have received Siemens EK90 in white boxes with black lettering. Mine came in the traditional orange and blue boxes. I wonder if there are any differences?

And a pair of Brimar CV4012

Currently, the Telefunkens are burning in....

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,540 of 13,432
I just popped in my  Telefunken EK90 and immediately it reminds me the of the TS 6AH6, overall awesome. very balanced with a good bass kick, highs are clear and mids.

My initial impression is this is that these are end-all/be-all tubes, very impressed.

I ordered them from NOStubetore.com and they look100% new which i can't say for the EH900S

My pre burn in test track is 'Ween - Stay Forever'

I also received my Telefunken EH900S which i will try when I'm  feeling ambitious.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,541 of 13,432
Quote:
I just popped in my  Telefunken EK90 and immediately it reminds me the of the TS 6AH6, overall awesome. very balanced with a good bass kick, highs are clear and mids.

My initial impression is this is that these are end-all/be-all tubes, very impressed.

I ordered them from NOStubetore.com and they look100% new which i can't say for the EH900S

My pre burn in test track is 'Ween - Stay Forever'

I also received my Telefunken EH900S which i will try when I'm  feeling ambitious.

Hi mab.

My Siemens EK90s just keep getting better - I'm sure your Telefunkens will blow you away!..Hope so...
Will have to give them a try and see how they compare Can't see how anything can better these EK90s - certainly on a simple ef 95 setting. But I'm forgetting the amazing Audiofanboy!!...
I fear you will now be disappointed with the EH900Ss, though...
Happy listening!

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,542 of 13,432
Found a bunch of $2.00 tubes G.E.6136 ,and C.V.850, also HIT RAY 6AV6 that im planning an intervention on but those arent $2.00 of course so just want to make shure im cutting the wright pins so i took a picture of my tube with the pins im suppose to cut at 5 and 6 o'clock shown by arrows you cant see very much and the other picture i found . looks like the right ones.if its the right picture 

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #1,543 of 13,432
Quote:
Found a bunch of $2.00 tubes G.E.6136 ,and C.V.850, also HIT RAY 6AV6 that im planning an intervention on but those arent $2.00 of course so just want to make shure im cutting the wright pins so i took a picture of my tube with the pins im suppose to cut at 5 and 6 o'clock shown by arrows you cant see very much and the other picture i found . looks like the right ones.if its the right picture 

Yes, the arrows on your picture are pointing to the correct pins, 5 and 6. And the second picture is one of my tubes. So just cut those pins, set your LD for EF92 tubes, and you are good to go.

A HIT RAY tube? I believe these are Japanese tubes.... I had never heard of them until now. Please let us know how they sound. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,544 of 13,432
Quote:

Yes, the arrows on your picture are pointing to the correct pins, 5 and 6. And the second picture is one of my tubes. So just cut those pins, set your LD for EF92 tubes, and you are good to go.

A HIT RAY tube? I believe these are Japanese tubes.... I had never heard of them until now. Please let us know how they sound. 

Thanks gibosi for the great picture dont have those cutters dough . do you think a dremel has to much vibrations while cutting and yes they are japanese tubes . i heard somebody was working on having other sockets made they wouldnt be to go from ef 95 to ef 92 if that possible at all maybe you talked to me about this i dont remember who did. Thanks again .

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #1,545 of 13,432
Got those yesterday not the greatest sounding compared to the 6au6 but  still decent looks like  they are english with  broad arrow ,collecting ww2 stuff thats why i figure they are english could that be 1969 anybody have more infos on these . Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back