Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Aug 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,821 of 3,408
hi i´m a NEWB to this.So does "Halo-Getter" mean O-Getter like in this Auction on Ebay?

Sylvania 5654/6AK5 (Black plates & Round halo getters only)

I´m considering buying them because they´re mentioned on page 77.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Matched-Pair-SYLVANIA-60S-Black-Plate-O-getter-6AK5-5654-403A-EF95-TUBES-/271163363380?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f22989034

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #2,822 of 3,408
Quote:
hi i´m a NEWB to this.So does "Halo-Getter" mean O-Getter like in this Auction on Ebay?

Sylvania 5654/6AK5 (Black plates & Round halo getters only)

I´m considering buying them because they´re mentioned on page 77.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Matched-Pair-SYLVANIA-60S-Black-Plate-O-getter-6AK5-5654-403A-EF95-TUBES-/271163363380?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f22989034

I would say so .

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,825 of 3,408
  when buying a tube for LD mkIII is it necessary to match and balance the tubes?

No its not necessary thats a scam to charge you more for your tubes for power tubes in back it seem its better for them to be matched but i just bought a pair of power tubes that are not matched and we will see dont think it matters if they are same company same year should be ok i think i saw you on the tube rolling guide thread lately if not heres the link and make shure to check out all the latest tubes we are using on page 77 that are alot better and cheaper than the ones on page 1 if you have question, there are very knowledgeable guys over there see you there      

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,826 of 3,408

No its not necessary thats a scam to charge you more for your tubes for power tubes in back it seem its better for them to be matched but i just bought a pair of power tubes that are not matched and we will see dont think it matters if they are same company same year should be ok i think i saw you on the tube rolling guide thread lately if not heres the link and make shure to check out all the latest tubes we are using on page 77 that are alot better and cheaper than the ones on page 1 if you have question, there are very knowledgeable guys over there see you there    

Thanks for the Info.....

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #2,827 of 3,408
Hi All,

Must confess that I have completely changed my mind on the "6AV6 box-on-top of the  mica" tubes. After some 23 hours they really blossomed and the sound now has no harshness in the treble and the bass is very powerful. Holographic 3D sound stage with great detail. A top tier tube!

Below is how these tubes sound now.

(The pictures are absolutely real and from the Rainbow Mountains In China's Danxia Landform Geological Park)

o-RAINBOW-MOUNTAINS-900.jpg

The-unique-hilly-terrain--004.jpg

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,828 of 3,408
Ok my Hytron 6ak5 tubes have now had about 12 hours of burn in there is no harshness in the treble region, bass has a nice presence and impact and these tubes are just a joy to listen to on my hd650's. the soundstage is wide and has some airiness too it. So far they have been my favourite tubes mind you I've only tried 4 different branded tubes altogether. If you get a chance to try them out let me know your impressions.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,829 of 3,408
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 

when buying a tube for LD mkIII is it necessary to match and balance the tubes?

Not really necessary if tubes come from the same date and lot (from same factory).
If tubes come from different production dates maybe there can be subtle differences between them.
To match electronic components (resistors, transistors, capacitors and tubes) is a good practice to ensure minimun tolerances in case tolerance matters, but sometimes (only sometimes) "matched" is used only as a commercial word to pick some additional bucks from you.

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2,830 of 3,408

Not really necessary if tubes come from the same date and lot (from same factory).
If tubes come from different production dates maybe there can be subtle differences between them.
To match electronic components (resistors, transistors, capacitors and tubes) is a good practice to ensure minimun tolerances in case tolerance matters, but sometimes (only sometimes) "matched" is used only as a commercial word to pick some additional bucks from you.

thanks,good to know.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2,831 of 3,408
I keep seeing a lot about Little Dot MK III driver tube rolling but not much about power tube rolling!

One of my stock Russian 6H6pi tubes has developed a dark black spot on the side that worries me. I've stopped using the amp as I don't want to cause any issues. So, as I'm searching for new tubes I noticed Amperex makes a Premium Quality 7119 (same as 6H6pi) and there are several other well known manufacturers of compatible tubes. I haven't really seen any reviews on them with the MK III though. Has anyone tried any power tubes other than basic Russian 6H6pi?

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2,832 of 3,408
  I keep seeing a lot about Little Dot MK III driver tube rolling but not much about power tube rolling!

One of my stock Russian 6H6pi tubes has developed a dark black spot on the side that worries me. I've stopped using the amp as I don't want to cause any issues. So, as I'm searching for new tubes I noticed Amperex makes a Premium Quality 7119 (same as 6H6pi) and there are several other well known manufacturers of compatible tubes. I haven't really seen any reviews on them with the MK III though. Has anyone tried any power tubes other than basic Russian 6H6pi?

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 191 different power tubes are reviewed there

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2,834 of 3,408
Sep 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #2,835 of 3,408

Users who are viewing this thread

Back