Little dot mkIII:Can it handle high end headphones;
Nov 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sotiris

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I have the next query.Can the little dot mkIII give good quality sound to the Denon D5000 or similar headphones?

I was seriously thinking in buying from the forum used hi end cans.

Thanks

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 17
I tried a pair of Denon D2000 on my Little Dot MKIII and they sounded very nice with really nice bass presence. I also drive my AKG K702's on it, which is a much harder headphone to drive than the Denon D5000.

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
I tried a pair of Denon D2000 on my Little Dot MKIII and they sounded very nice with really nice bass presence. I also drive my AKG K702's on it, which is a much harder headphone to drive than the Denon D5000.

i want to focus on sound quality not in power... Is high end headphones overkill for the little dot?

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 17
I'm going through the same questions right now looking for an amp for my D2000s. It appears that the Little Dot I+ may be the perfect cheap amp for the Denons. From everything I've read, the low impedance Dx000 line matches real well with it.

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 17
To be blunt the LDIII is a really poor amp, it can't power high impedance phones like the 600Ohm Beyers and doesn't sound that great with lower impedance either. The D2000s don't really benefit from amping; that said a good solid-state would be the better option over a tube amp.

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 17
To be blunt the LDIII is a really poor amp, it can't power high impedance phones like the 600Ohm Beyers and doesn't sound that great with lower impedance either. The D2000s don't really benefit from amping; that said a good solid-state would be the better option over a tube amp.

Agreed.

If you want great sound quality, solid state delivers on a budget. A well-made tube amp sounds great, but you can't get one inexpensively unless you build it yourself.

Also, the Little Dot is an OTL with a high output impedance. If the output impedance is higher than the headphone impedance, you lose control of the bass and you have power loss. Yes, low impedance headphones will make sound, but nowhere near as accurately as a similarly-priced solid state amp. Solid state always has a low output impedance. Don't expect that from an OTL; you need output transformers unless you have a Zana Deux. The Zana is the only commercial OTL with a low output impedance because it runs 6C33C tubes.

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Agreed.
If you want great sound quality, solid state delivers on a budget. A well-made tube amp sounds great, but you can't get one inexpensively unless you build it yourself.
Also, the Little Dot is an OTL with a high output impedance. If the output impedance is higher than the headphone impedance, you lose control of the bass and you have power loss. Yes, low impedance headphones will make sound, but nowhere near as accurately as a similarly-priced solid state amp. Solid state always has a low output impedance. Don't expect that from an OTL; you need output transformers unless you have a Zana Deux. The Zana is the only commercial OTL with a low output impedance because it runs 6C33C tubes.

So, you would agree or not agree that the Little Dot MKIII "is a really poor amp"?

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 17
I don't like Little Dot amps.

For the same price, solid state is a better option. You have to put more than $100 of parts (if that) into a tube amp to equal the filtering and regulation of the average solid state amp. Solid state is less expensive to do right because you don't have to pay for components that handle high voltage. That means a much less expensive power transformer, smaller caps, and, well, everything is less expensive to do right.

If you want to do tubes right, you're going to rack up $500 in raw parts fast and there's more labor to case tubes. On the other hand, you can get the raw parts for the excellent Dynalo for about $120-$150. Or the new O2, which I think can be assembled for about $50-$70.

The problem with tubes is that you need to spend $50-$70 or more on a good power transformer. Big caps, a tube rectifier, chokes, and everything else you need for clean power will easily add up to $300. Another $100 for a good case and $100 for parts comes quickly.

Labor doesn't enter into the costs for raw parts; the prices are about the same everywhere.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
For the same price, solid state is a better option. You have to put more than $100 of parts (if that) into a tube amp to equal the filtering and regulation of the average solid state amp. Solid state is less expensive to do right because you don't have to pay for components that handle high voltage. That means a much less expensive power transformer, smaller caps, and, well, everything is less expensive to do right.
If you want to do tubes right, you're going to rack up $500 in raw parts fast and there's more labor to case tubes. On the other hand, you can get the raw parts for the excellent Dynalo for about $120-$150. Or the new O2, which I think can be assembled for about $50-$70.
The problem with tubes is that you need to spend $50-$70 or more on a good power transformer. Big caps, a tube rectifier, chokes, and everything else you need for clean power will easily add up to $300. Another $100 for a good case and $100 for parts comes quickly.
Labor doesn't enter into the costs for raw parts; the prices are about the same everywhere.

Uncle Erik..you have heard the O2??

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:

Thanks for the tutorial.  Looks like a decent SS HP amp can be had for about $250 while decent tubes, more like $750.  Bad economic news for us tube wanna bees.
frown.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm actually very interested in this as well - and thanks for those with advice so far.  I was considering the LD MK IV.  Erik - I understand what you are saying - have you actually heard the LDs?  What is so bad about them? (BTW - I'm not trying to be an a@@hole here - I'm genuinely interested).  Second - what about the Schitt offerings then?  Valhalla seems to be in the sub $500 category as well - is it also not worth pursuing?  What about the Bottleheads (crack)?  They are very comptetively priced.  Also questionable?

Sorry - I'm really confused.  Your statement about the parts makes sense - but that would mean that several of the amps - that seem to be quite well regarded here - probably should also be avoided?

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 17
Personally I don't think there is a dollar amount that you should stay away from, sure solid-states are generally cheaper for what you get but some tube amps; like the Bottleheads and Darkvoice amps are great for the money. I speak about the LDIII and it's predecessors as not being up to snuff, even with the upgraded tubes it sounded lifeless and underpowered.

I believe a lot in headphone synergy, pairing with particular amps is crucial to the overall sound. Without auditioning all the possibilities it's best to read through threads and learn from those experienced reviewers that have had the opportunity to hear many different amps. What you need to avoid is those who get a single amp and sing it's praise without really comparing it, I think that's how FOTMs start, no doubt why the LDIII is so popular or was at one point.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 17
Like Uncle Erik said, a low priced tube amp generally won't put out as a good a sound as a similarly priced solid-state. What is your budget? As far as solid state amps go, look for O2 reviews, i haven't heard anything bad about it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back