Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Sep 4, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,056 of 2,726
Very nice list.

I have HD800 with the LD8, but very similar design parameters, yet higher impedance.

I believe future posted mods that I have done to my LD8, can be adopted to the LD6 which I am currently looking into in PMs.
The mods deal with the power as much as the sound, so it should help alot.

Currently still working on my amp sorry mod thread not started yet.

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #2,057 of 2,726
I do not really like the mod. in general.
I prefer to buy high-end products, but do not listen to headphones.
Listening through the speakers is natural and it takes little to avre good results.
I currently use the facility for signature, excluding LD which is for sale, but I can say it is also excellent with pre, using the gain to a minimum.
I possess Monitors Behringer TRUTH B1031A, then economic, but not in sound.
Sorry to say, after years of listening through headphones, but the speakers are on another level of listening.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #2,059 of 2,726

The weakness is in the Gain. When set to a high level, that is suitable for such difficult AKG K1000 headphones, the sound quality suffers.
The sound loses sophistication and hardens above all in medium-high range.

Exactly what I hear with high gain too. Doesnt matter which headphones I used. There's heavier bass, but the overall sound quality suffers quite a bit.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2,060 of 2,726
I believe future posted mods that I have done to my LD8, can be adopted to the LD6 which I am currently looking into in PMs.
The mods deal with the power as much as the sound, so it should help alot.

Currently still working on my amp sorry mod thread not started yet.

I'm still hanging tight and really looking forward to this thread 
L3000.gif

Good luck with it all!

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #2,061 of 2,726
My duelund caps ARE IN!!!!

and I am deeply impressed. I was like omgwtf when I first put the headphones on. I tried to remain skeptical in case of potential placebo (even though placebo has never really affected me) however there is zero chance that it is placebo, the sound is undeniably different, like big time. These caps require a long long (like 300-500 hour) burn in from what people say but they already sound amazing.

Here it is when it came

They were way bigger than I thought.

Each one feels like it's made of lead. They are WAY heavier than they look.

Here's the capacitors when I have them soldered, the leads were too big to fit in the holes.

Only the best quality wire covering

Being Duelund caps they clearly deserve only the best casing as well.

Sound:

The sound separation has gone off the map! like.. here's the sound separation before        

I            I
and now

I                                                                          I
The sounds and instruments have widened out to where they're like, behind me now.
and the vocals are much more intimate at times, sometimes it's like "dude get out of my ear! I'm not into that!"
Which is another thing..it sounds SO much more realistic, like omg......there's no words, but only in some respects, the midrange and some of the high frequencies sound muffled, kind of badly, but that's just because these caps have no burn in yet.
Even with that though, some of the high and high-mids are so sweet and euphonic it makes my head ring. It's like eargasmic candy.

The bass, I have a pair of HD800s known for having sucky bass (and horribly euphony), the bass before was "there" but not really a huge part of the music. The bass now is deep and impactful and sometimes booming. Before it was like "eeeeeehhr" and now it's like "BuurhmmphhruhuhBAM-CHICKA-CHICKA"  
L3000.gif
 It didn't turn the headphones into a pair of basshead headphones but the bass level and quality jumped literally 5-10 fold.

The space and holographic sound is WAAY better than before. Like, not space as in soundstage (well maybe a little) but space as in space between instruments and singers, its so amazing what my headphones can do now. 
In fact, this is the first time I have ever headbobbed with a stupid grin on my face using the HD800s, the well known king of soullessness. 
Actually that's not true I did it for a few minutes once I discovered how much better the balanced end on this amp was. But the sound was nothing like this.

There's so much more to the sound that has been improved but I'm terrible with words, I'll update as I sort it out.
The main thing I don't like about the sound now is the whole thing, especially the mid range sounds muffled/veiled. Gotta let it burn in I suppose.
The main thing I do like is the sweetness in the mid-high frequencies, It's orgasmic.
Oh yeah, it should be noted that the volume on the amp seems to be twice as loud now. Before I could max it out and still be fine (barely) but now I will blow my ears out if I go passed 50% volume.
I'll just leave the thing running until it's 3-500 hour burn in is finished and see what happens.

Wow, I just realized 500 hours is like 20 days 
confused_face.gif

More soon!!!

If you think this upgrade is cool, you should see what me Redge and Maxx have cooking up. It makes this look like an appetizer. I'm sworn to secrecy for now 
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #2,062 of 2,726
Congradulations coinmaster..

I knew you would be in for a shock of your life with the sound, but I didnt want to spoil the surprise...

The reasons for your "over the top" improvement level,
is because of the puny little red stock cap used...

Thats really not a good coupling cap for audio.
Especially for the MK6 tubes which can make use of higher coupling capacitance than the mk8.

Also bear in mind, the caps are actually allowing the tubes to hand off its great sound potential...

There are also other locations of such sonic potential on this board.
:wink:

Also need to point out that there is a good reason why these amps are made very cost saving way,
So buyer can afford it.
I read an old Sword-yang post saying if he was to put all high end parts in amp "who could afford it?"

So This is why, he wants to make his amp accessable for the masses, as well as competitive, as there are many amps in China..
I admire him for that.

What he did, with using most cost effective parts is impressive.
Mainly the transformers & volume are the good quality parts not downgraded.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #2,064 of 2,726
That is awesome that it made such a difference.  It is making me think seriously about doing a bit of upgrading.

@coinmaster do you use a sniping tool for ebay?  It seems like the only way to bid... just place you bid via the tool and it bits with 6 seconds to go.  

Also... when I so those caps, the first thing I thought of were these trailer hitch decorations:

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,065 of 2,726
That is awesome that it made such a difference.  It is making me think seriously about doing a bit of upgrading.

@coinmaster
 do you use a sniping tool for ebay?  It seems like the only way to bid... just place you bid via the tool and it bits with 6 seconds to go.

Also... when I so those caps, the first thing I thought of were these trailer hitch decorations:

*Pic*
:p

Haha! That is literally what is happening here..

Also I use an ebay grabber app set at 5 seconds to place my bid.
:)

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #2,066 of 2,726
So after getting a nights sleep and letting my brain equalize to the new sound a little bit. Here are my impressions.

The bass is still there, same as before, no change.

The sound is very unrealistic compared to before the upgrade where I was convinced I was in front of the stage, the tonality is off.
I don't have much experience with dark sounding headphones but it's possible the entire sound signature is just darker now, which I'm completely not used to. In any case that would be bad for vocals and a lot of instruments like piano. There's no doubt the mid range is having "issues" though darker or not.

The entire sound frequency is muddled and veiled, most prominent in the mid and mid-high range.
Also that "sweetness" I talked about is gone, at least partially. Unless it gets to really high frequencies then it's like "ooo yeah".
But the highs sound very smooth in general.

While the sound separation blew wide open it seemed to thin out the 3D depth as well. Like stretching out a thick rubber band and making it longer but thinner.

I can only assume this is because it needs burn in. The reviews I've read say they regret buying Duelund until they burn in so we shall see.

Also there's this one idiot that's bidding against himself by large leaps, jacking up the prices on all the tungsol 5998s. What a scumbag.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,067 of 2,726
  So after getting a nights sleep and letting my brain equalize to the new sound a little bit. Here are my impressions.

The bass is still there, same as before, no change.

The sound is very unrealistic compared to before the upgrade where I was convinced I was in front of the stage, the tonality is off.
I don't have much experience with dark sounding headphones but it's possible the entire sound signature is just darker now, which I'm completely not used to. In any case that would be bad for vocals and a lot of instruments like piano. There's no doubt the mid range is having "issues" though darker or not.

The entire sound frequency is muddled and veiled, most prominent in the mid and mid-high range.
Also that "sweetness" I talked about is gone, at least partially. Unless it gets to really high frequencies then it's like "ooo yeah".
But the highs sound very smooth in general.

While the sound separation blew wide open it seemed to thin out the 3D depth as well. Like stretching out a thick rubber band and making it longer but thinner.

I can only assume this is because it needs burn in. The reviews I've read say they regret buying Duelund until they burn in so we shall see.

Congrats on the new caps coinmaster! I'm sure they'll improve a lot with some burnin. Oh btw, you need to build a nice case for those caps, lol 
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #2,069 of 2,726
  You got a problem with my case? 
mad.gif

Actually those duelund capacitors are small compared to the other upgrade components I have on the way. I'm going to head to lowes today and build myself a wooden crate for the bottom.
The amp is going to be 4 time's larger when I'm done.

Ok, nice! Looking forward to some pics of that 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back