Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Dec 15, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #181 of 2,724

Quote:

Are you going back to tubes Aldo?
I will keep some nice Bendix 6080WB Red Bank for you!

ph34r.gif

well i´m thinking in this issue but, first, i need to listen the new magnum
you know a pazzoman tubes pusher in south europe?
cool.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #184 of 2,724

Quote:
ph34r.gif

well i´m thinking in this issue but, first, i need to listen the new magnum
you know a pazzoman tubes pusher in south europe?
cool.gif

There is only one, I heard, I'll look for him.

BTW has anybody tried the Bendix 6080WB?

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #187 of 2,724

Quote:
I haven't used the D7000's much with the amp as they are se. They do sound pretty good though from casual listening and I had no problem with the low impedance. I do have a balanced connection for the JH16 pros via a RSA to XLR adaptor and they sound excellent. I have no problems with hiss or hum- but only about a quarter of the volume dial is in use. The LCD 3's are the most interesting challenge for me with this amp. I think they both tend to  dark and laid back type of sound and there is a danger that this could get to be a bit too much for some listeners. What I have discovered quite to my surprise as a cable skeptic is that the silver dragon 3 on the LCD 3 gives a welcome lift and sparkle.you should also take what I say cautiously as the amp is still new and barely If at  all burned in

Well I'm happy to hear that you didn't find any problems with the low impedance D7000s. I've got a pair of DX1000s that I can't wait to try when I get this amp after Christmas, but I've been a bit worried about how sensitive they are and how powerful the MkVI+ is. So, that's news to my ears, literally :-D  If the future goes well I'll be adding a balanced pair of D7000s or LA7000s to my stable around April/May, so any impressions with them are very useful for me. Thanks a lot!

And WOW, that's pretty surprising to read that you actually do have balanced cables for the JH16 Pros, and that you've tried them on the MkVI+, and that there wasn't any hum, AND that they still work! Since your SE connection seems to sound ok too, maybe you got a miracle unit? Haha, I hope not, I hope mine's just as good~... Then for your LCD3s, it was interesting to read that they sound dark with it; hopefully with a cable swap like you did and some revealing tubes I'll be able to match the two up.

I plan on getting those LCD3s too, do you think they're worth it with this amp? I plan on upgrading and playing the amp field in the future, but for now do you think the LCD3s are even reasonable to buy with the MkVI+? They're $2k+ headphones with an aftermarket cable, that's like 3.5x the amp's price... Might it all come down to source?

And lastly, what's this Bendix 6080WB Red bank tube? I'm not too tube savvy, but I do recognize common and notable names from here and there. I don't however, recognize that one at all, yet a few of you seem to be talking like it's something special. What types can it roll with, how available is it, and how much does it cost?  

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #188 of 2,724
The Bendix 6080WB are the holy grail of 6080 tubes.
Made under strict control for USAF.
The heavy duty construction speaks for itself.

The SQ is excellent.

Prices vary from $20-$30 to $140 for one.

Here is a photo.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #189 of 2,724

Quote:
Well I'm happy to hear that you didn't find any problems with the low impedance D7000s. I've got a pair of DX1000s that I can't wait to try when I get this amp after Christmas, but I've been a bit worried about how sensitive they are and how powerful the MkVI+ is. So, that's news to my ears, literally :-D  If the future goes well I'll be adding a balanced pair of D7000s or LA7000s to my stable around April/May, so any impressions with them are very useful for me. Thanks a lot!

And WOW, that's pretty surprising to read that you actually do have balanced cables for the JH16 Pros, and that you've tried them on the MkVI+, and that there wasn't any hum, AND that they still work! Since your SE connection seems to sound ok too, maybe you got a miracle unit? Haha, I hope not, I hope mine's just as good~... Then for your LCD3s, it was interesting to read that they sound dark with it; hopefully with a cable swap like you did and some revealing tubes I'll be able to match the two up.

I plan on getting those LCD3s too, do you think they're worth it with this amp? I plan on upgrading and playing the amp field in the future, but for now do you think the LCD3s are even reasonable to buy with the MkVI+? They're $2k+ headphones with an aftermarket cable, that's like 3.5x the amp's price... Might it all come down to source?

And lastly, what's this Bendix 6080WB Red bank tube? I'm not too tube savvy, but I do recognize common and notable names from here and there. I don't however, recognize that one at all, yet a few of you seem to be talking like it's something special. What types can it roll with, how available is it, and how much does it cost?  

The LCD 3 can be a bit dark with other amps too. It's the Audeze sound signature, so I wouldn't worry that this amp is a mismatch. That doesn't mean you can't tweak for your own preferences. Whether they're worth $2000 is another question and there's at least one other thread on that topic.(for me the jury is still out).

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #190 of 2,724
Hi Guys I've just found this thread so I've copied my post which I put on the mk vi thread which has now ceased.

I thought I would throw in my tuppenny worth because there seems to be so little information on the mkvi and would like to contribute something to the discussion on this fantastic amp having been helped by forum members previously. My set up is: PC>FOOBAR>USB to TOSLINK>CHANNEL ISLANDS AUDIO BALANCED DAC>ALO AUDIO SILVER COATED COPPER RCA'S>LD MKVI+>AUDIO TECHNICA ATH AD2000'S and SENNHEISER HD600's. I'm going to go ahead and assume this is the correct thread so here goes!

Previous to the mkvi I owned a mkiv se and always loved it with the standard power tubes and Tung Sol 6ak5w driver tubes which gave a much clearer warmer and less overpoweringly tubey sound than with the original m8100 driver tubes. The only upgrade I could think of from there was to go balanced to get the next step in up in SQ therefore I went for the mk vi a year ago. So far I've only used it single ended due to financial constraints! Since owning it I wanted to get the mkiv sound back which I loved and came close to it with raytheon vt231 6sn7 tubes. However I liked the slightly more tubey sound that the 6sn7 driver tubes gave me over the mkiv sound whilst still retaining the detail, it is a tube amp after all! This is why I like the amp so much, but if any one wants to know how it sounds then refer to the mkiii or mkivse review for close approximation as the sound signature is similar according to others, with the mkiii slightly warm and the mkiv slightly clearer but taking the sound up a notch again.

TUBE ROLLING. What follows are my observations from memory on the other tubes I've tried, and how they affect the sound of the amp. There is a good choice with the 6sn7 tube family which are suited to this amp and are all great tubes. The rca 6sn7 gtb are beautifully rich, detailed and balanced, whereas the vt123 grey glass tubes are musical, very balanced and exceptionally smooth and easy to listen to. The sylvania 6sn7 gtb are warm, detailed, balanced, crisp and slightly solid state sounding. The tung
sol 6sn7 gtb sound clear, detailed and analytical. Brimar cv1988 tubes are very dynamic, punchy, tubey and fantastic for mid range vocals, especially female. Finally the tung sol oval plate tubes are about the best I've tried with a beautiful balance, detailed base and magical silky treble and 3d soundstage. If anyone wants any further elaboration please let me know as I have had to find most of this out for myself with a little help and I would be pleased to respond with my own observations. I've also tried some tung sol 7236 power tubes which are very clear, detailed and analytical sounding. The only tubes I would like to try now are the sylvania 6as7g power tubes which are supposed to be warm, detailed with a good soundstage and I would like to contrast these with the rca 6as7g power tubes that I've been using up to now. I've tried examples from the main tube families so I would think that within these families the tubes all have a similar sound signature eg sylvanias are all warm and crisp sounding whereas rca's are smooth and rich sounding etc. I've also tried all the main construction types eg flat plate, round plate, t plate etc so have got a rough idea of these sound signatures. Anyone can get an overall picture from various tube sites.

I hope this gives and indication of characteristics of the mkvi. I love it and for the value and also the customer experience I am really impressed. I can't see me ever changing the set up - possibly!  In the future I do want to go balanced however with some HiFiMan HE500's which can be easily recabled unlike my Audio Technicas. It they are as good as the reviews say then I will have the perfect set up - great sounding amp with no faults that I can detect, and one of the best sets of headphones around!!!

Finally regarding the hum, I did think that it had been sorted with the later mkvi's. Mine is a mkvi+ and I don't get this humming noise, all I get is the quiet whirring of the fans which is not a problem. Just occasionally I do get a slight hum on one or other channel which I put down to interference of some sort, either my own system or from other networks possibly, or the tubes. I'm not an expert on this but this noise never lasts and is never intrusive.

Great to come across this thread at last, carry on the good work!

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #191 of 2,724
you confirm the compatibility with the 6sn7 tube family?
i asx because with the new release of this amplifiers, this tube does not appear in the user manual

Quote:
Hi Guys I've just found this thread so I've copied my post which I put on the mk vi thread which has now ceased.

I thought I would throw in my tuppenny worth because there seems to be so little information on the mkvi and would like to contribute something to the discussion on this fantastic amp having been helped by forum members previously. My set up is: PC>FOOBAR>USB to TOSLINK>CHANNEL ISLANDS AUDIO BALANCED DAC>ALO AUDIO SILVER COATED COPPER RCA'S>LD MKVI+>AUDIO TECHNICA ATH AD2000'S and SENNHEISER HD600's. I'm going to go ahead and assume this is the correct thread so here goes!

Previous to the mkvi I owned a mkiv se and always loved it with the standard power tubes and Tung Sol 6ak5w driver tubes which gave a much clearer warmer and less overpoweringly tubey sound than with the original m8100 driver tubes. The only upgrade I could think of from there was to go balanced to get the next step in up in SQ therefore I went for the mk vi a year ago. So far I've only used it single ended due to financial constraints! Since owning it I wanted to get the mkiv sound back which I loved and came close to it with raytheon vt231 6sn7 tubes. However I liked the slightly more tubey sound that the 6sn7 driver tubes gave me over the mkiv sound whilst still retaining the detail, it is a tube amp after all! This is why I like the amp so much, but if any one wants to know how it sounds then refer to the mkiii or mkivse review for close approximation as the sound signature is similar according to others, with the mkiii slightly warm and the mkiv slightly clearer but taking the sound up a notch again.

TUBE ROLLING. What follows are my observations from memory on the other tubes I've tried, and how they affect the sound of the amp. There is a good choice with the 6sn7 tube family which are suited to this amp and are all great tubes. The rca 6sn7 gtb are beautifully rich, detailed and balanced, whereas the vt123 grey glass tubes are musical, very balanced and exceptionally smooth and easy to listen to. The sylvania 6sn7 gtb are warm, detailed, balanced, crisp and slightly solid state sounding. The tung
sol 6sn7 gtb sound clear, detailed and analytical. Brimar cv1988 tubes are very dynamic, punchy, tubey and fantastic for mid range vocals, especially female. Finally the tung sol oval plate tubes are about the best I've tried with a beautiful balance, detailed base and magical silky treble and 3d soundstage. If anyone wants any further elaboration please let me know as I have had to find most of this out for myself with a little help and I would be pleased to respond with my own observations. I've also tried some tung sol 7236 power tubes which are very clear, detailed and analytical sounding. The only tubes I would like to try now are the sylvania 6as7g power tubes which are supposed to be warm, detailed with a good soundstage and I would like to contrast these with the rca 6as7g power tubes that I've been using up to now. I've tried examples from the main tube families so I would think that within these families the tubes all have a similar sound signature eg sylvanias are all warm and crisp sounding whereas rca's are smooth and rich sounding etc. I've also tried all the main construction types eg flat plate, round plate, t plate etc so have got a rough idea of these sound signatures. Anyone can get an overall picture from various tube sites.

I hope this gives and indication of characteristics of the mkvi. I love it and for the value and also the customer experience I am really impressed. I can't see me ever changing the set up - possibly!  In the future I do want to go balanced however with some HiFiMan HE500's which can be easily recabled unlike my Audio Technicas. It they are as good as the reviews say then I will have the perfect set up - great sounding amp with no faults that I can detect, and one of the best sets of headphones around!!!

Finally regarding the hum, I did think that it had been sorted with the later mkvi's. Mine is a mkvi+ and I don't get this humming noise, all I get is the quiet whirring of the fans which is not a problem. Just occasionally I do get a slight hum on one or other channel which I put down to interference of some sort, either my own system or from other networks possibly, or the tubes. I'm not an expert on this but this noise never lasts and is never intrusive.

Great to come across this thread at last, carry on the good work!

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #192 of 2,724

Quote:
The Bendix 6080WB are the holy grail of 6080 tubes.
Made under strict control for USAF.
The heavy duty construction speaks for itself.

The SQ is excellent.

Prices vary from $20-$30 to $140 for one.

Here is a photo.

Thanks for letting me know, that's good to hear :)  But how rare are they? And that's a pretty huge fluctuation in price, is there any determining factors for that? And hmm, I might have to start looking into these tubes in about 3 months time :wink:

And as for that HUGE tube rolling post, that's great info! Little by little I think I'm putting together a good picture of what tubes I want to buy for this thing. I was also happy to read that you're using the amp with some ATH-A2000s. That's a pair of headphones that's on my "soon to buy" list. Can you fil in any more details on them with this amp, pros and cons :) ?

And the LCD3s, that's good news that there's nothing really different or special going on with this amp. But yeah, $2k is a lot of coin and an amount that I would wonder if I'm better off capping out my headphones with and putting into speakers... When I can find the money I think I'll move on a pair, but that won't be for a while. Haha, some LCD4s might be out by that time...

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #193 of 2,724
Benny It took me two years to find some more that I wanted.
The price variation is huge depending on the condition, how good the silk screening is, original box etc.

The MOV 6AS7G will be worth trying, and combined with the Brimar 6SN7GTY will be one of the very best combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back