Little Dot Mk III ?
Jun 7, 2010 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheMaestro335

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,
What do I gain from switching the stock driver tubes out with Mullard 8100s for the Little dot Mk III? Will I get better sound staging and clearer imaging, or is that from the power tubes?

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi,
I did the move....after around 30 hrs of burning, the sound did improve a lot. As you mentioned, the soundstage became wider and I am hearing more details in the music. I have Grados 325 and the DacMagic from Cambridge.

I did not change the power tubes as the difference in sound is not significant.

For around $30, it's worth it, believe me....

Denys

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 6
David recommends the 6H30P-DR super tube as the ultimate power tube upgrade for the Little Dot MkIII with the caveat that these tubes are expensive.
Did some searching on the internet and these tubes will set you back around $200 or more for a pair.
I did find a cheaper variant called 6N6P-IR. The cost is around $40/pair plus shipping from the USSR.
Does anybody have experience with this power tube?

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Hi,
I did the move....after around 30 hrs of burning, the sound did improve a lot. As you mentioned, the soundstage became wider and I am hearing more details in the music. I have Grados 325 and the DacMagic from Cambridge.

I did not change the power tubes as the difference in sound is not significant.

For around $30, it's worth it, believe me....

Denys

6H30 tubes make a huge difference IMO on both the Mk11 and MK111 amps

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 6
How does the mk iii pair with the Beyerdynamic dt 990 (600 ohm)? Also, what would be a good accompanying dac for such an amp. Aside from that, I have been referred to the Phenix G3 and uDac2 combo. Any thoughts on those? Thanks.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 6
I think you will find thats a great match up. I have those same Beyers and used to own the MKIII as well. The builder of the MKIII (David?) has stated that the LD Mark III was made for and sounds best with high impedance headphones.

Quote:
How does the mk iii pair with the Beyerdynamic dt 990 (600 ohm)? Also, what would be a good accompanying dac for such an amp. Aside from that, I have been referred to the Phenix G3 and uDac2 combo. Any thoughts on those? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back