Little Dot Micro+ initial impressions
Jun 17, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #181 of 432
I appreciate your dilemma. I like to play music fairly loud, and I find that the low gain version with Ety 4P's, for example, have to be turned up almost all the way, and I believe the higher gain version just sounds a bit smoother to me and it has slightly more punch and power, which I like. It's not an overly dramatic effect depending on your headphones, but I notice it, since the low gain unit is limited by the lower gain it will only give you so much reserve power and volume, while the higher gain version gives you more. I find this to be a very quiet amp and don't find hissing or noise an issue, and if you are going to use it with any full size headphones that are not extremely efficient I think the low gain version would not do the job.

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #182 of 432
Thank you vorlon1. You've just help me made my decision.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Regular gain it is!

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #183 of 432
SET UP:
Amp: LDM+, new, regular model, used over 1 hour
Source: iRiver H120, new, used over 1 hour
iRiver H120 Settings: default, stereo
Music: Classic Rock, FM radio
Headphones: Senn HD-595, 120 Ohm, used over 150 hours

Rated 1 to 10, 1=worst, 10=best

Depth: 3
Musicality: 4
Tonality: 7

Resolution / Clarity:
Highs: 10
Mids: 7
Bass: 5

Volume/Balance:
Mids: 4
Bass: 6

While listening to this set up, I occasionally listened to my HD-595s and Kenwood VRS-7100 receiver for comparison. This set up gives my Senns a MUCH more present and live sound than what I'm used to from my receiver. It reminds me A LOT of how my Grado SR-80s sounded with my H/K AVR630 receiver. However, I sold the Grados since we did not get along. My new set up sounds much better and I like it.

My main beef with this set up is the highs are too pronounced. I suppose I should adjust the treble setting in my iRiver H120. It's clarity and resolution is its strong point. It seems best suited for high energy music like rock and electronica. Whereas for relaxing with jazz or classical, I easily would prefer my HD595s and receiver.

I assume this set up may sound better with more break-in time and a better source than FM radio. We'll see.

Jun 18, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #184 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Thank you vorlon1. You've just help me made my decision.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Regular gain it is!

well, if you're going out of the dock connector lineout on an iPod, you might want low-gain. I have my UE attenuator plugged in, 2 pairs of IEMs out of that, and the LDM+ low-gain is turned up to 9 o'clock (just above where the right/left balance evens out)

Jun 18, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #185 of 432
For the LDM+ owners, would you say that the overall sound is analytical? I've had bad experiences with analytical equipment (HD280 sound and I don't get along).

I really enjoy the sound of my MS-1's right now, however I think the instrument separation could be better. I also want to use an amp for my ER6i's, which I find to be lacking in bass and the highs a bit fatiguing. Is this the right amp for me? Or...

All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Oh, and most importantly, I'd like to keep it under $100.

Thanks.

Jun 18, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #186 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaztastic116
For the LDM+ owners, would you say that the overall sound is analytical? I've had bad experiences with analytical equipment (HD280 sound and I don't get along).

I really enjoy the sound of my MS-1's right now, however I think the instrument separation could be better. I also want to use an amp for my ER6i's, which I find to be lacking in bass and the highs a bit fatiguing. Is this the right amp for me? Or...

Thanks.

I enjoy my HD280s without an amp and don't consider them analytical. My HD595s from my receiver are more mellow and less forward than my HD280s. However, my HD595s from my LDM+ are analytical and the highs are pronouced and fatiguing. I recommend you not go with the LDM+.

Jun 18, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #187 of 432
It's official, the battery life on this amp is certifiably awesome. Mine has been running 24/7 for the last 4+ days at the 12 o'clock (center) position powering the K701 and HD600, and as I type this, it's still going. No sign of petering out yet. If it has one more day of battery life in it, that would make it able to run for over 140 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaztastic116

Thanks.

In my experience so far, the LDM+ has proven to be at least 90% transparent with regard to the recording, so if you prefer transparency it's worth a look. I'm not sure how the previous poster is getting pronounced/fatiguing highs, because they don't sound like that at all to my ears. The highs are considerably weaker compared to the AD8397 in my SuperMini-3 in direct ABX tests.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #188 of 432
Update after break in:

SET UP:
Amp: LDM+, new, regular model, used over 24 hours
Source: Kenwood VRS-7100 receiver
Music: Classic Rock and Jazz, FM radio
Headphones: Senn HD-595, 120 Ohm, used over 175 hours

This update is with this set up: receiver > LDM+ > HD595

Rated 1 to 10, 1=worst, 10=best

Depth: 5
Musicality: 6
Tonality: 7

Resolution / Clarity:
Mids: 8
Bass: 6

Volume/Balance:
Highs: 9
Mids: 7
Bass: 8

Overall rating:
Classic Rock: 8
Jazz: 3

After a few hours of use, my LDM+ filled out the bass and mids. It still has an analytical sound to it but the treble, mids and bass are much more evened out now. However, jazz sounds much better from my receiver without the LDM+.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #190 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gentleman
Nobody sale New LDM+ at Ebay.com
How I can buy it ?

Go to the manufacturer's website at http://www.little-tube.com/forum/. You can ask David to list it on ebay.

BTW, you already have a PA2V2, so I'm not sure a LDM+ would be a noticable improvement over that. Their sound quality is generally in the same ball park.

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #193 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby
well, if you're going out of the dock connector lineout on an iPod, you might want low-gain. I have my UE attenuator plugged in, 2 pairs of IEMs out of that, and the LDM+ low-gain is turned up to 9 o'clock (just above where the right/left balance evens out)

he is using a ipod shuffle so only headphone out

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #194 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Discobiscuits
Bleh, I'm in a pickle after reading this thread.
PA2v2 or Little Dot Micro+ for a DT770/80?
Same price range, but which one would be better? Is there major differences between the two?

I've not listened to a PA2v2 before, but going by it's reputation, it's a warm sounding amp that gives an extra oomp in the bass. The downside is that the extra bass frequency response means that the treble will be less loud in comparison to the bass, making it a bit more "veiled".

The LDM+ is more neutral, so it would be better if you want more accuracy and clarity. Since you've chosen the DT770/80, I assume you like bass (a lot). If you want even MORE on top of what you're getting now, then it's the PA2v2
basshead.gif
, otherwise the LDM+ is a more balanced alternative.

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #195 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
I've not listened to a PA2v2 before, but going by it's reputation, it's a warm sounding amp that gives an extra oomp in the bass. The downside is that the extra bass frequency response means that the treble will be less loud in comparison to the bass, making it a bit more "veiled".

The LDM+ is more neutral, so it would be better if you want more accuracy and clarity. Since you've chosen the DT770/80, I assume you like bass (a lot). If you want even MORE on top of what you're getting now, then it's the PA2v2
basshead.gif
, otherwise the LDM+ is a more balanced alternative.

Alright once I get it, I'll see how much bass I'm actually in it for. If it is a crap load, I'll get the LDM+, but if it's not as much as I want (which prolly shouldn't be the case), I'll get the PA2v2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back