Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Feb 28, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #2,193 of 3,154
Yesterday i added extra capacitors to psu part. Originally there were 2x nichicons  2200 each. I replaced them with 1800uf panasonics fc. To exceed the original level I added 470uf elna cerafines and extra 220uf panaconics. They can be removed easily in case if the sound is not good after burning. Now there is ~5000uf. I also soldered gold pins extracted from dip8 socket to those very weak transformer power cables. Now they will not break of the pcb every time i take the little dot apart. I'm looking forward to getting c3g's from siemens. I already got a mounting socket for them that i will attempt to make an adapter with. I looked at some post from other thread showing installation of c3g valves. I don't like the idea of an adapter on top of another. I have to come up with some sort of design so they don't stick out too much taking a lot from little dot's appearance. I love the little dot because of so many mods and tweaks that can be done to it. Great for somebody who can't afford 2k amp plus all it's mods that we would do anyway. It's like my maverick d1 DAC that i constantly upgrade. It's almost finished now.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #2,194 of 3,154
  Yesterday i added extra capacitors to psu part. Originally there were 2x nichicons  2200 each. I replaced them with 1800uf panasonics fc. To exceed the original level I added 470uf elna cerafines and extra 220uf panaconics. They can be removed easily in case if the sound is not good after burning. Now there is ~5000uf. I also soldered gold pins extracted from dip8 socket to those very weak transformer power cables. Now they will not break of the pcb every time i take the little dot apart. I'm looking forward to getting c3g's from siemens. I already got a mounting socket for them that i will attempt to make an adapter with. I looked at some post from other thread showing installation of c3g valves. I don't like the idea of an adapter on top of another. I have to come up with some sort of design so they don't stick out too much taking a lot from little dot's appearance. I love the little dot because of so many mods and tweaks that can be done to it. Great for somebody who can't afford 2k amp plus all it's mods that we would do anyway. It's like my maverick d1 DAC that i constantly upgrade. It's almost finished now.

NICELY DONE!

Are those Caps in AUDIO PATH?

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,195 of 3,154

NICELY DONE!

He said, "psu part."  PSU = Power Supply Unit.  So, no.

Depending on the design and implementation of the amplifier, upgrading the capacitors in a power supply can help.  It very rarely ever hurts.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #2,196 of 3,154

Yesterday i added extra capacitors to psu part. 

NICELY DONE!

He said, "psu part."  PSU = Power Supply Unit.  So, no.

Depending on the design and implementation of the amplifier, upgrading the capacitors in a power supply can help.  It very rarely ever hurts.

Sorry my bad i was caught up with the caps changes i forgot that PSU part.I would just BYPASS those instead of replacing them.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,198 of 3,154
 I tried replacing PS caps with my other amp and i did not noticed any audible changes how ever bypassing them i've noticed that when measuring the voltage with my DMM the reading stopped bouncing around by few milivolts like how it used to when it does not have the bypass caps.BTW i'am not an engineer so i could be wrong.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #2,199 of 3,154
   I tried replacing PS caps with my other amp and i did not noticed any audible changes how ever bypassing them i've noticed that when measuring the voltage with my DMM the reading stopped bouncing around by few milivolts like how it used to when it does not have the bypass caps.BTW i'am not an engineer so i could be wrong.

Additional capacitors can often help a power supply in reducing ripple.  I think the question in this case was whether audiophile-quality capacitors meant to be used in the signal path (Elna Cerafines) actually had a more beneficial effect in the PSU than superior power capacitors (Panasonic FC's or FM's).  It's impossible to tell in this case, because the poster used both.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #2,200 of 3,154
 I do understand the ripple effect and I've gone from 10,000uf to 22,000uf still no audible effect and Bypass it with a nice film caps still no audible effect at least to my ears.IMO i would not bother with PS caps for this amp instead i will look into upgrading any  CAPS that are in the AUDIO path doesn't need to be those expensive Poly or Electrolytic Caps.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #2,201 of 3,154
 BTW The only upgrade that i've done to my Ld 1+ is i replaced the Potentiometer due to it's channel imbalanced  and that is it.I have no plans on doing any cap rolling for now and for me it is very interesting to see someone rolling those CAPS makes me think of doing the same.IMHO this amp sound great the way it is specially if you are using the C3g's and you can manage to replace the POT.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,202 of 3,154
   I do understand the ripple effect and I've gone from 10,000uf to 22,000uf still no audible effect and Bypass it with a nice film caps still no audible effect at least to my ears.IMO i would not bother with PS caps for this amp instead i will look into upgrading any  CAPS that are in the AUDIO path doesn't need to be those expensive Poly or Electrolytic Caps.

No offense, but when we're talking about ripple in an audiophile power supply, none of it is directly audible.  Instead, it shows up as higher distortion - particularly in IM.

Ripple reduction in an audiophile power supply is concerned with extraneous AC in the microvolt values.  It can't even be measured directly with the best DMM's.  They don't measure AC down that low.  You need a specialized low-noise amplifier just to test for the ripple component in an audiophile power supply.  Yet, improvements in this regime are readily audible - but only by a cleaner sound, more free from distortion, etc.  It's not anything such as actually hearing the ripple, unless the amplifier performance is so decrepit that everything is directly audible.

All that said, I can't disagree - particularly because I have no direct experience with this amp.  What you state may indeed be the case - upgrading components in the signal path may have the best effect.  If that's true, though, then the effect of the amp's existing components may be worse than the effects of a sub-standard power supply.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #2,203 of 3,154

No offense, but when we're talking about ripple in an audiophile power supply, none of it is directly audible.  Instead, it shows up as higher distortion - particularly in IM.

Ripple reduction in an audiophile power supply is concerned with extraneous AC in the microvolt values.  It can't even be measured directly with the best DMM's.  They don't measure AC down that low.  You need a specialized low-noise amplifier just to test for the ripple component in an audiophile power supply.  Yet, improvements in this regime are readily audible - but only by a cleaner sound, more free from distortion, etc.  It's not anything such as actually hearing the ripple, unless the amplifier performance is so decrepit that everything is directly audible.

All that said, I can't disagree - particularly because I have no direct experience with this amp.  What you state may indeed be the case - upgrading components in the signal path may have the best effect.  If that's true, though, then the effect of the amp's existing components may be worse than the effects of a sub-standard power supply.

No worries.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #2,204 of 3,154
After some month with the Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV I switched to a pair of Yugoslavian 6HM5. The sound impact is impressive,  with jazz massive.
Only with classical I think that the Voskhod are more precise. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #2,205 of 3,154
One of my Yugo 6HM5 tubes started glowing brightly when first turning on and developed a hum after a couple of days.  I had GE JAN5654W pair as a back up to replace them until the '73 Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV set came in a few days ago.  I never had time to really listen to the 6HM5 but these Voskhods are much funner to listen to than the GE.  Far more detail, as if the 12 - 14KHz were either rolled off on the GE or boosted on the Voskhods.  

I ordered another Ei 6HM5 and hope to get another go at these.  For now tho, these Voskhods along with MUSES02 sound absolutely sublime through 325e Grado.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back