Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Dec 7, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #2,867 of 3,154
Hi

I've just bought the Little Dot and gone for the Mullard M8100 tubes.  I'm currently using my Sony MDR 1R headphones with it (until my new Christmas present), my question is, I can only turn it up very very slightly before it gets too loud, I'm talking just beyond the 0 position.  I've opened the unit up to check the gain and it did appear to be set at high according to the instructions, however when I went to set it to low (according to instruction) it actually went even louder, so it suggests the switch is the wrong way round which isn't a problem.  Does anyone else find their unit only needs turning up so very little?

Just to confirm it is set at what I believe to be low gain.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #2,868 of 3,154
I think it's set to low gain by default from new. With my Grado's I don't normally turn it up past 1 on the dial before it's too loud for me.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #2,870 of 3,154
I'm the new guy... My LD I+ is in the mail.  I also ordered some EI 6HM5 tubes.  I wanted to verify what family this tube belongs to.  I've seen it mentioned as being an EF95 and also an EF86... 

Anyone know definitively which it is?  Mostly I am wondering how tI'll need to set the jumpers when I roll the tubes.  

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #2,871 of 3,154
  I'm the new guy... My LD I+ is in the mail.  I also ordered some EI 6HM5 tubes.  I wanted to verify what family this tube belongs to.  I've seen it mentioned as being an EF95 and also an EF86... 

Anyone know definitively which it is?  Mostly I am wondering how tI'll need to set the jumpers when I roll the tubes.  

Thanks!

Technically, it is not an EF95, it is an EC900. However, in the LD it is pin-compatible with the EF95, so that is the proper setting to use.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,872 of 3,154
much obliged gibosi!   

I think the most damage to the wallet is done in the window of time a new toy is ordered to when you take delivery.  It is in this window where I am obsessed with researching accessories, mods, tips and tricks, etc. Once I have the item in hand, I usually calm down and just enjoy it.  Delivery can't happen soon enough!

That being said... I'm looking for an op amp now.  I want to get my LD I+ as tubey as possible (I know it is not a true tube amp).  I am not really interested in critical listening.  I want pleasant highs thick syrupy mids and strong bass. Would still like detail and immersive soundstage, though, these are down the pecking order a little.   Which op amps are more in line with this request?

So far, the main contender for a new op amp is the Muses02... really based on one post about it being very lush and open and not for those wanting a neutral, critical listening option.  True to your experience?

I'm going to buy an op amp, can't be helped.  So help me make a good choice.

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,873 of 3,154
The Muses02 is the best opamp I tried. And yes, I found it rather warm, lush and tube-like. Recently, a number of folks here have purchased the Burson and believe it is the best. However, I have never heard the Burson, and to my knowledge, no one here has reported on how they compare.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,874 of 3,154
much obliged gibosi!   

I think the most damage to the wallet is done in the window of time a new toy is ordered to when you take delivery.  It is in this window where I am obsessed with researching accessories, mods, tips and tricks, etc. Once I have the item in hand, I usually calm down and just enjoy it.  Delivery can't happen soon enough!

That being said... I'm looking for an op amp now.  I want to get my LD I+ as tubey as possible (I know it is not a true tube amp).  I am not really interested in critical listening.  I want pleasant highs thick syrupy mids and strong bass. Would still like detail and immersive soundstage, though, these are down the pecking order a little.   Which op amps are more in line with this request?

So far, the main contender for a new op amp is the Muses02... really based on one post about it being very lush and open and not for those wanting a neutral, critical listening option.  True to your experience?

I'm going to buy an op amp, can't be helped.  So help me make a good choice.

Thanks!

I've got both the Muses02 and Burson. I won't have time to do any comparison anytime soon but I did it for myself when I got the Burson and fwiw I'm using the Burson in my LD I+ ever since. The Muses02 was to warm and thick for me but this is just one guys opinion so as always ymmw....

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,875 of 3,154
Thanks again gibosi, sounds great to me. And peter123, I'm not afraid of the warmth! Thanks for the info, helps. The only description on the burson I've seen outside of "sounds great" is that it's brighter. That always kind of scares me as I'm not into bright. I'll probably get the muses02 now since it seems the most appealing and after I've had a month or so to digest that, I'll get the burson and see for myself.

Great info, thanks

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,876 of 3,154
Thanks again gibosi, sounds great to me. And peter123, I'm not afraid of the warmth! Thanks for the info, helps. The only description on the burson I've seen outside of "sounds great" is that it's brighter. That always kind of scares me as I'm not into bright. I'll probably get the muses02 now since it seems the most appealing and after I've had a month or so to digest that, I'll get the burson and see for myself.

Great info, thanks

No worries. The Burson is not bright per se but just in comparison. I'd actually rather say clear than bright. Since the LD I+ is also equipped with tubes that can also be used to tune the sound I'm sure either one will be great after some tube rolling.

Good luck and enjoy the music :)

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2,877 of 3,154
No worries. The Burson is not bright per se but just in comparison. I'd actually rather say clear than bright. Since the LD I+ is also equipped with tubes that can also be used to tune the sound I'm sure either one will be great after some tube rolling.

Good luck and enjoy the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Were you able to compare the Burson to the MUSES01?

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #2,878 of 3,154
Dec 15, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,879 of 3,154
Yes, I think it's safe to say that all of these options will be great sounding options... It's just which sounds best to you????? I like to change one thing at a time. So, I'll replace the tubes first with the 6HM5' that are in the mail. Then I'll try the mullard 8100 and see which floats my boat. Maybe an RCA 5654 black plate too. Then, when I've got the sound I want... I'll mess it all up by introducing the muses02 with each tube. So, I should get to the Burson in about 6 months! Maybe I'll just skip to the muses02 right off.

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,880 of 3,154
Yes, I think it's safe to say that all of these options will be great sounding options... It's just which sounds best to you????? I like to change one thing at a time. So, I'll replace the tubes first with the 6HM5' that are in the mail. Then I'll try the mullard 8100 and see which floats my boat. Maybe an RCA 5654 black plate too. Then, when I've got the sound I want... I'll mess it all up by introducing the muses02 with each tube. So, I should get to the Burson in about 6 months! Maybe I'll just skip to the muses02 right off.

Sounds as if you're having a lot of fun coming up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back