Little Dot i+ produces intense glow when powered on
May 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kjoh

100+ Head-Fier
I recently picked up a LD i+ and I was a little concerned about what it does when I power it on. The left tube initially produces a bright glow from the base when turned on. This is only for a second and the glow returns to normal just like the glow in the right tube.  If I have headphones plugged in I hear a good sized pop noise when I power on the amp.

I'm relatively new to tube amps and wasn't sure if this was normal for the LD i+ or if this is something I should be looking into. The only thing I'm doing differently from the previous owner is that the power cord isn't stock. Any thoughts/impressions are welcome. Thanks!   

May 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 7
Checked the jumper settings and they're fine. I also switched the places of the tubes and it seems to be just that one tube generating the bright glow during power up. So maybe it's just a character of these particular tubes? I'm using Mullard M8100.

May 4, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
It is an enourmous problem and could blow up your house. You should probably give them to me.

That's ok my house has tube insurance
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Turns out it was a bad tube. Replaced it and there's no more glow
redface.gif

Still delivers a modest pop noise at power up though. This apparently is normal but I still fear for the safety of my headphones. The darkvoice amp I had before never did anything like this.
confused_face_2.gif

May 5, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm currently rolling with the little dot I+ and a similar thing happened to me. I put some old mullard ef91's in and when I powered up they glowed really brighlty from the bottom and then calmed down. The sound was fine for a while and then a low swishing static sound appeared.. So I took them out.

I then did a bit of research and this is all normal,  tubes can make all sorts of noises until they "settle in" to thier new home. I tried them again a little later, the same big glow from the base for a few seconds but the noise is now gone. About 4 hours later and they sound verrrry sweet!

I wouldn't worry too much about the popping noise most amps do this. Also, most headphones a tougher than you think and are designed to handle large amounts of current. I wouldn't risk my RS1's in the LDI+ if I thought it would cause them damage.

How are you finding the sound? I've go some opamps in the post to try. I'm rolling ef92/91's for now and I'm prefering the 91's bigger soundstage and they are warmer.   

Theres a great LDI+ tube rolling thread, got loads of handy hints from there
wink_face.gif

May 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I'm currently rolling with the little dot I+ and a similar thing happened to me. I put some old mullard ef91's in and when I powered up they glowed really brighlty from the bottom and then calmed down. The sound was fine for a while and then a low swishing static sound appeared.. So I took them out.

I then did a bit of research and this is all normal,  tubes can make all sorts of noises until they "settle in" to thier new home. I tried them again a little later, the same big glow from the base for a few seconds but the noise is now gone. About 4 hours later and they sound verrrry sweet!

I wouldn't worry too much about the popping noise most amps do this. Also, most headphones a tougher than you think and are designed to handle large amounts of current. I wouldn't risk my RS1's in the LDI+ if I thought it would cause them damage.

How are you finding the sound? I've go some opamps in the post to try. I'm rolling ef92/91's for now and I'm prefering the 91's bigger soundstage and they are warmer.   

Theres a great LDI+ tube rolling thread, got loads of handy hints from there
wink_face.gif

Thanks for your post LugBug1. That gives some reassurance to know that others aren't concerned about these characteristics.

I've been using grado headphones for a couple of years now but this is the first time I've paired them up with a tube amp. So far I'm really happy with the results
biggrin.gif
  Currently I'm using RS2's with flats and although I like there forward sound sig I think the LD i+ warms them up really nicely. The upper mids and highs are recessed a little bit and the lows are extended a little further. Soundstage also made a noticeable improvement.  Overall less aggressive sound but alot more engaging and fun.

Right now I've got the amp set up with the lt1364 opamp and rca 5654 tubes. I think I prefer the mullard m8100 as they sound a little less dark to me. I've head great things about the voskhod tubes and wouldn't mind trying them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back