Little Dot DP_I Unboxing and Initial Impressions (Black Player Pics Added)
Aug 7, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #16 of 43
Hi All,

I have updated some of the commentary in posts one and two as well as added photos of the Black DP_I! 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:
Thanks for the review. It's great to see an increasing number of audiophile-level DAPs.

Would you happen to know if the DP_1 supports 24-bit/96KHZ Flac?

Unfortunately, it does not support 24/96 flac at this time.  I tried tracks from HDtracks and kept getting a "Play Error".  I am hoping that it's more a firmware issue than hardware.  I got an e-mail earlier from David Zhe-Zhe from Little Dot and they are working on a firmware update.  Hopefully it will address the gapless issue, the library issue, and 24/96 flac support, however David didn't confirm any of them.  He just said a firmware update would be released soon.  Lets hope they update their product info on their site as well.

Stay tuned...

-HK sends

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:
Great job HK...

Been trying to follow this...So far it's still at $429.  Release date (waiting for firmware?)  Hopefully gapless issue is taken care of..

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure the Little Dot folks were quite prepared for how big a project a DAP would be.  They have the amps and DACs down to a science, but adding a player into the mix is a bit of a challenge.  Especially when there are so many issues to consider like the library, DAP settings, even player interface and control.  I believe they are working to address all the issues, but we (as customers) need to be patient.  HiFiMan took a while to get his out the door as well and it wasn't perfect right off the bat.  Overall, I see these catering to a niche that has yet to be filled...audiophile-quality digital players.

The fun's just begun...

-HK sends

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #22 of 43
I cant´t get it to read from my external harddrive or a usb stick. I have tried formating the harddrive back and forth to different fomats. I use a otg usb adapter and the usb cable that came with the dp_1.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:
I cant´t get it to read from my external harddrive or a usb stick. I have tried formating the harddrive back and forth to different fomats. I use a otg usb adapter and the usb cable that came with the dp_1.

I haven't been able to either.  Until I get the documentation (did you get any?), I can't figure what they meant by being able to "read music files from external USB disk".  Unless they just meant being able to transfer songs from an computer hard drive to the player.

-HK sends

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
I haven't been able to either.  Until I get the documentation (did you get any?), I can't figure what they meant by being able to "read music files from external USB disk".  Unless they just meant being able to transfer songs from an computer hard drive to the player.

-HK sends

Just a paper in chinese :/  I asked DavidZheZhe and he said that it supports playback via USB harddrive.

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed review. Do you know if it supports 24 bit flac? If so, does it play 96KHZ and 192KHZ? And does it play it natively, or downsample? 

It doesn't play 24/96 or 24/192 at this time.  I haven't been able to get an answer if it will after a firmware update (one is in the works right now).
I don't know if it would play natively or have to downsample.  If they can get the 24-bit support enabled, then I should be able to find out.

-HK sends

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #29 of 43
I'll wait for a Mk II. I think early adopters of any Chinese DAP must be up there with vulcanologists and swingers as folk who like to live dangerously. 
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #30 of 43
Hello

There are some better detailed pics outthere of the pcb, i find the soldering very sloppy and the use of smd devices is a fine option, but if there is a point to getting a short signal path, u better have facilities to make this right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back