Little Dot 1+ help
Mar 29, 2015 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cmdrmcgarrett

Head-Fier
Ignore this post and PLEASE READ NEXT ONE IN LINE!!!!!
Explanation are in the followup

Just got a used Little Dot 1+ and love it.

Have a few questions tho.

Running Toslink from my computer to my receiver. I do NOT have preout on this receiver that is NOT line level. Nor tape out.
The preout on this receiver is controlled via volume :frowning2:

A) Is there a real harm in running my Little Dot with headphone out from receiver to rca into the amp?

B) Keeping at a low volume on receiver ( -47db ) so that input doesnt get overloaded. Will this hurt the amp? Or should it be lower as in -50db or lower?

C) If this is not a good way to do this.... I need a few recommendations for DACs.

D) Fiio D03K is an option if push comes to shove. Toslink to Fiio then RCA to headphone amp.

My main issues are that I dont really want to have to go into Windows to switch out default devices all the time. YES I am that lazy.

Would like to have a dac with a switch so I can have Toslink in from computer. Then outputs are RCA to Dot and Toslink out for receiver.

I saw the Schiit Modi 2 uber BUT it is a bit outta my price.
Need to stay under $100

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 2
OK. Lemme 1st state that I am an idiot.

I didnt realize that my sound card in my computer was able to be used as a fixed line out!!

Read the manual next time and you wont look like an idiot when you have the  AH HA moment.

OK now that I have line out from the computer doing into the Little Dot 1+ directly, I now have another issue.

The levels are too high.

Using the at on 10/100 is loud. 20/100 is unbearable.

Know this I can just lower the volume on the sound control panel to a more modest level
BUT

I have read from numerous sites that when adjusting volume in control panel it changes the bit rate also.
Is this true?

My sound card does 192k/24bit audio.
By lowering the volume am I degrading the 192k to something else or is this a bunch of bunk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back