Little Dot 1+ acting up,Need help!
Dec 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nevakonaza

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Having an issue with my Little Dot 1+,Brilliant Amp...bought it used but in excellent condition and worked fine up until yesterday.

My headphones started making a popping and loud static noise (not playing music or anything),At first i thought it might be my Headphones dying..I then tried playing music and the right side of my headphones were not giving out any audio...but left side was.

So i tried my headphones in the pc without the Amp,They work fine both left and right side..so i believe there may be a problem with the right channel on my Little Dot,Is it a fuse problem?..if so what fuse type do i replace it with?

I always could hear a slight hiss/static for some reason when using the little Dot 1+ also,Not sure if this was just my Headphones though as they're not exactly high quality...i do plan to replace them eventually.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi,

Thanks for replying,Just swapped the tube from left to right and now the right gives out audio but not the left,so i assume the tubes need replacing?

Would you happen to know what tubes are suitable for this amp?...there is writing on them that looks to say 6J1 76.9,But its wearing off so hard to see.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 12
Yes, the 6j1 is the chinese variant of the EF95 family. On the I+ you can use three families of tubes with different jumper settings. EF95/EF91 &92/408a and all their variants. Many to choose from. Check the LDI+ tube rolling thread. Lots of great info in there.

Cheers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Yes, the 6j1 is the chinese variant of the EF95 family. On the I+ you can use three families of tubes with different jumper settings. EF95/EF91 &92/408a and all their variants. Many to choose from. Check the LDI+ tube rolling thread. Lots of great info in there.
Cheers!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on this guy

Also, you can maybe try cleaning the pins of the tubes you currently use. May or may not help. Typical advice would be to try scraping them clean with a blade.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Well ive been to a couple of audio stores today in the UK,None of them stocked any Tubes :/

But i have been given an email of somebody that might be able to get me some,so i might be able to get new tubes.

How can you tell if the tubes have gone bad?..i mean vision wise?,Mine have got black marks at the top (which i think was caused by heat?)

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
+1 on this guy

Also, you can maybe try cleaning the pins of the tubes you currently use. May or may not help. Typical advice would be to try scraping them clean with a blade.

Oh man,I cleaned the pins on the tubes using a blade and now they work again..both channels just fine...who would have thought!...this black gunk stuff come off the pins.

I got a email from a tube supplier i emailed,and he said he had got some tubes in stock,
EF91 and EF95

Im thinking of getting some for replacements when mine finally die,because theyre hard to get of in the UK ive found, Would getting EF91 or EF95 be an improvment or downgrade?

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Great to hear you sorted it out.  Try getting some deoxit and clean them regularly.

Yes, EF95 or EF91 or 92 would be an improvement.  Just remember, for EF91 or EF92 and 408A (6028) you have to change the jumpers.  For EF95 or all equivalents (5654, 6AK5, 6096, 403A or B, CV850, M8100, 6J1P-EV, 6ZH1P-EV etc.) the 6J1 setting you have is good.

Cheers!!!

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Well ive been to a couple of audio stores today in the UK

Obviously that wasn't the correct approach. They might have suitable replacement valves if, and pretty much only if, they sold amps using them.

Quote:
Im thinking of getting some for replacements when mine finally die,because theyre hard to get of in the UK ive found.

They are not hard to get in the UK. Not every village shop is going to have them but Langrex (http://www.langrex.co.uk/), for example, stocks thousands of valves you can use in that amp.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Great to hear you sorted it out.  Try getting some deoxit and clean them regularly.

Yes, EF95 or EF91 or 92 would be an improvement.  Just remember, for EF91 or EF92 and 408A (6028) you have to change the jumpers.  For EF95 or all equivalents (5654, 6AK5, 6096, 403A or B, CV850, M8100, 6J1P-EV, 6ZH1P-EV etc.) the 6J1 setting you have is good.

Cheers!!!

Awesome,Thanks for replying.

Out of all those tubes,What would be the best ones in order..or which one should i go for for better audio quality?

@Oskari,Thanks for that link greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back