Lite DAC60 - PCM1704 R2R tubed DAC Mod Project
Aug 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #331 of 362
Aug 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #333 of 362
I think a bad translation. On the photos, you can see it is a LITE.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #335 of 362

Nice find - wonder which PCM1704 they are using.  Bet not a U-K

Since the DAC60 has become impossible to find for sale (likely because TI stopped making the PCM1704U-K).  I found this Lite DAC50 on Ebay for $599.  Same basic design as the DAC60 - only using the R2R PCM63 20bit dacs vs the PCM1704 24 bit R2R.

Looking up the PCM63 - it may actually have better S/N ratio then the PCM1704U-K.

Uses the same 6DJ8/6922 tube output, R-core transformers.  Would be interesting to see which digital filter they use with these DAC chips.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #336 of 362
I think it uses 
DF1704.  
http://www.fetaudio.com/archives/186

I changed out the clock as well to a battery powered Crystek 957 on the Dac60.  I don't know if it is possible for a dac to get any better. LOL

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #337 of 362
  I think it uses 
DF1704.  
http://www.fetaudio.com/archives/186

I changed out the clock as well to a battery powered Crystek 957 on the Dac60.  I don't know if it is possible for a dac to get any better. LOL

How did you find a 6.144Mhz 957?  I used the Vanguard to good effect.

You're these are so good - esp with better coupling caps and NOS tubes.  Just that nobody can find one anymore.

Here is another DAC that uses the 6922 - but with tube rectification - very sweet! 
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #338 of 362
Oct 20, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #341 of 362
It has been about 2 years since I bought the JZ clock board from Audio-GD. You could use 2 flip flops to divide by 4 but it will involve a bit of work to wire it up. The circuit is simple though. If you power it from a battery it will make things very easy.

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #342 of 362
It has been about 2 years since I bought the JZ clock board from Audio-GD. You could use 2 flip flops to divide by 4 but it will involve a bit of work to wire it up. The circuit is simple though. If you power it from a battery it will make things very easy.

I have  clock divider board from China - it will do 1/4, 1/2, full - with a TXCO on it.  I had as a back burner project to swap that out for a 957 and install.  But my case has no room left.  The M-Lytic, Hammond Choke and those huge M/S S/G/O caps fill it up.

Cheers

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #343 of 362

I have  clock divider board from China - it will do 1/4, 1/2, full - with a TXCO on it.  I had as a back burner project to swap that out for a 957 and install.  But my case has no room left.  The M-Lytic, Hammond Choke and those huge M/S S/G/O caps fill it up.

Cheers

I had to mount the clock on the outside of the case but the battery I was able to fit inside since it was long and flat.  I just used zip ties for the clock on the backside and ran wires to a switch that I mounted to the side using industrial double sided tape.  It doesn't look pretty but is very functional and was a quick job.  

Perhaps you can help me with something on another topic.  I actually have more time at work to listen to music then at home so I have had a pretty good desktop system that consists of some 4" Fostex full range speakers, Olasonic cd player, Olasonic dac, Oppo HA1, Wyrd USB cleaner, and a parasound Zamp.  I've been using this system in one configuration or another and would want a change.  In my current configuration, I am using the balanced out on the HA1 to power the Fostex speakers.  

I am looking for mini 4" speakers (nothing bigger as I can only listen at low volumes and desk space) and a small pure class A amp (2-10wpc).  I was looking at the monitor audio radius 90 speakers as a replacement.  Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #344 of 362
  I had to mount the clock on the outside of the case but the battery I was able to fit inside since it was long and flat.  I just used zip ties for the clock on the backside and ran wires to a switch that I mounted to the side using industrial double sided tape.  It doesn't look pretty but is very functional and was a quick job.  

Perhaps you can help me with something on another topic.  I actually have more time at work to listen to music then at home so I have had a pretty good desktop system that consists of some 4" Fostex full range speakers, Olasonic cd player, Olasonic dac, Oppo HA1, Wyrd USB cleaner, and a parasound Zamp.  I've been using this system in one configuration or another and would want a change.  In my current configuration, I am using the balanced out on the HA1 to power the Fostex speakers.  

I am looking for mini 4" speakers (nothing bigger as I can only listen at low volumes and desk space) and a small pure class A amp (2-10wpc).  I was looking at the monitor audio radius 90 speakers as a replacement.  Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Nice job on the clock.  I had at one point considered moving the R-core to a separate box - to reduce possible EMI.  But I really don't think that's necessary now.

As for 4" speakers - sorry I have little experience with those.    I would rec a class A amp - over class D or A/B. 

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #345 of 362

These are 5" and not class A, but supposedly designed for low volumes listening...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LYD5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back