Listening to music drunk overrated?
Nov 23, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #32 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no proven benefits to auditory perception from being stone.
Anyway, I'm on the fence whether I think alcohol is good for music - I don't really like alcohol so I don't drink it. I dont care if people find enhancements with it. If they do, all the more power to them - placebo or not.

I wish I had your problem. (not liking alcohol)

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #33 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some say music get sweeter with some alcohole in your body. I admit I have not really tried listening to music drunk previously. I am drunk at the moment and I don´t really see how that make things sound better. Surely I can´t really find flaws since I am to drunk to noitice... Just to get at least semi accurate spelling and grammar in my state is hugely challenging since I have problem seeing what I am writing...

Am I alone finding music is worse when you are drunk compared to 100 % sober? Surely It´s hard to find flaws in this mental conditions and the music make me want to puke but is that a positive lol

Quite honestly the funniest thing that I have read on Head-fi since I started lurking here over a year ago. I'd love to put the whole thing in my signature, but it just takes up too much space. Regardless, it's an inspired contribution to the headphone community. Thanks oqvist!
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #34 of 94
How is Head-Fi full of gear snobs, weed users, and music aficionados, and yet it still doesn't become a huge circle-jerk? One of the wonders of the world, it seems.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #36 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is Head-Fi full of gear snobs, weed users, and music aficionados, and yet it still doesn't become a huge circle-jerk? One of the wonders of the world, it seems.

We all respect the music.

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #37 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You haven't been to the right meet yet...

Speaking of which... anything in the works here in Edmonton?

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #38 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You haven't been to the right meet yet...

Let's set aside 3 rooms at Canjam '10! Ladies?

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #39 of 94
jeez. all this talk of weed, other drugs, and alcohol enhancing everyday life (and listening) makes me feel like i'm having a conversation with my room mates. lol. i don't really have much against the stuff, i used to do it, but it's funny how some people have convinced themselves that this stuff improves their lives, and thus, often rely on them to enjoy something they could most definitely enjoy sober.

sorry, did i just preach? lol

darthsmile.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #40 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind altering substances can affect your perception of any of your senses. Its practically in the definition.

"Some immediate physical effects of marijuana include a faster heartbeat and pulse rate, bloodshot eyes, and a dry mouth and throat. No scientific evidence indicates that marijuana improves hearing, eyesight, and skin sensitivity. Studies of marijuana's mental effects show that the drug can impair or reduce short-term memory, alter sense of time, and reduce ability to do things which require concentration, swift reactions, and coordination, such as driving a car or operating machinery."

The only thing that would alter music perception is the sense of time and concentration reduction which can be emulated by being tired, all without the other issues.

Symtpoms for music are byproducts of these symptoms and nothing more. There is no "magic reaction" between music and any drug, simply a combination of music and the side-effects.

Although it produces hallucinogenic properties, I have observed no actual changes that differ from listening to music whislt tired (which is more than likely a result of the relaxant properties of cannabis), although stronger hallucinogens produce much more vivid alterations.

With the risk of dependance on the drug (which is higher than that of ecstasy, gamma-Hydroxybutyric acids, anabolic steroids and Alkyl Nitrites; although less than alcohol), I'd prefer to never smoke it again for the benefits it offers which are infinitesimal.

If anyone is going to brag about how drugs improve their listening experience, I suggest they at least do it properly instead of relying on pseudoscience and the advocacy of dependant users to support yourself.

But still, like I say, if you truly believe that there are benefits and the benefits outweigh various risks associated with cannabis use, then all the more power to you.

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #41 of 94
fully agreed! one of the good sides of weed is that music sounds WAY better, but weed is highly addictive and far from a harmless soft drug...as the dutch want you to believe
evil_smiley.gif

well, tobacco is the real evil...but whether the risks associated to herb smoking outweight the benefits are at one's discretion.

but well, it clearly does improve hearing...and night vision as well, it's been proven!

night vision thc - Google Search

ScienceDirect - Journal of Ethnopharmacology : Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity in kif smokers of the Rif mountains of northern Morocco
Quote:

In both test situations, improvements in night vision measures were noted after THC or cannabis.

see it as an overclocked CPU...the same way pigeons and cats have a higher heart pulse rate and see more frames per second than humans do...I don't know the exact number for cats, but pigeons can see twice more than we do!
eek.gif

the reason why they always wait for the very last instant to flee when you approach them...time does not exist as such, and basically they run in matrix-like bullet time compared to humans.

it's easy to prove with ppl who live very stressy moments in their lives(like accidents or so), the adrenalin pumping makes seconds last hours..the higher your pulse rate, the more your "overclock" your five senses "FSB".

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #43 of 94
I have never used marijuana.

But a friend of mine tells me that anyone who says smoking has no effect on music has obviously never tried it, and needs to sometime.

Also, my favorite thing to do is hang out with some friends and blast our favorite albums and drink until 5 in the morning or until we pass out. Y'all are crazy.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #44 of 94
anyways... i didn't know listening drunk had a high rating, but if it does, ya, i'd say it's overrated.

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #45 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never used marijuana.

that's what they all say(special mention to Uncle Erik, that was cracking
biggrin.gif
)
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyways... i didn't know listening drunk had a high rating, but if it does, ya, i'd say it's overrated.

sure is...totally pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back