Listening to modern hip hop on my HD600s, and im fine with the lack of sub-bass apparently?
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

codythelucario

Head-Fier
I never really thought of this, but actually, compared to what I previously thought in my previous post, I am actually fine with the sub bas roll off on my HD600's? I feel weird saying this considering that these tracks rely heavily on sub-bass, but I was fine with it until recently where I felt like it was kinda too recessed. I messed with my dac and I really enjoy the sub-bass boost from messing with the 1-100hz frequencies? but they made my headphones sound more like party headphones which I enjoy the music, while keeping it in its natural frequencies made it seem a lot more analytical but more recessed and I was fine with it apparently. Maybe I have weird tastes in my frequency responses, but I am starting to appreciate my HD600s a bit more? I feel like the sub bass im getting in its natural state is sufficient, but not to the level of party bass headphones unless I tweak the sub-bass

To be honest, I never really had a problem with it until I tried out one of my friend's hifiman HE400i where it had a brighter sound signature which I preferred

Am I weird for this or are there other hip hop lovers using the HD600s that have similar frequency tastes?

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 7
You can equalize it up easily with any player as long as you have some headroom to do a preamp reduction to avoid distortion. The hd600 is really good, but not like the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 ohm which has bass all the way down and is really fun too for hip-hop or EDM. Try giving it a +4db boost at the lowest frequency slider in any player.

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 7
The bass of the HD600 is great, provides great punch. Upper and mid-bass is great. It doesn't extend as far down as some planars (that cost 3x the price) but that really is not an integral part of most music and the effect is rather subtle anyways IMO. I've owned things like LCD-2F and the HD600 IMO is the much better balanced headphone despite the LCD-2F reaching a bit deeper. It isn't very noticeable either. In other words, you get 90% of the sound from the 600, it lacks some of the very low end extension (sub-bass) and the very upper extension (air) but on the flip side, is a very pleasant and non-fatiguing headphone - a very worthy trade-off.

I also want to say that the HD600 DOES extend down fine, just not AS FAR as some others. I listen to EDM with the 600 and have had plenty of times where I felt - damn that was a great bass drop... and it is a fully open back headphone so comparing it with closed like 770 isn't really fair, either.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 7
The bass of the HD600 is great, provides great punch. Upper and mid-bass is great. It doesn't extend as far down as some planars (that cost 3x the price) but that really is not an integral part of most music and the effect is rather subtle anyways IMO. I've owned things like LCD-2F and the HD600 IMO is the much better balanced headphone despite the LCD-2F reaching a bit deeper. It isn't very noticeable either. In other words, you get 90% of the sound from the 600, it lacks some of the very low end extension (sub-bass) and the very upper extension (air) but on the flip side, is a very pleasant and non-fatiguing headphone - a very worthy trade-off.

I also want to say that the HD600 DOES extend down fine, just not AS FAR as some others. I listen to EDM with the 600 and have had plenty of times where I felt - damn that was a great bass drop... and it is a fully open back headphone so comparing it with closed like 770 isn't really fair, either.
And somehow, my main problem is the sub-bass. As I am listening right now though, I am starting to also appreciate the recessed sub-bass at the same time. It feels like it's taking a back seat, but in a very, very analytical way. I really do appreciate it, but at the same time when I want to have fun that's when I run into issues with my sub-bass. It's like a love-hate relationship: it feels very nice and pleasant to, like it's a chill dude chilling in the corner, but when it comes to having fun and lounging, it's definitely not enough. I think I will start complementing my momentum 4's with this headphone when I want to lounge around

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, the HD600 is trying to give you a fairly accurate rendition of what is being played. If you want more sub-bass, there are other headphones on the market that will give you some more, but then you:

A) Sacrifice other areas of sound quality in exchange (IE Sivga SV021).

OR

B) Pay much more money (IE LCD X).

If you really want a sizable chunk of extra sub-bass, I'd recommend the SV021. It isn't that much money but it really does have elevated low bass.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, the HD600 is trying to give you a fairly accurate rendition of what is being played. If you want more sub-bass, there are other headphones on the market that will give you some more, but then you:

OR

If you really want a sizable chunk of extra sub-bass, I'd recommend the SV021. It isn't that much money but it really does have elevated low bass.
rn im not planning to buy any headphones, i was originally planning my hd600s to be my endgame headphones. and yeah when i tried on headphones with more sub-bass i did feel like i was losing out on a bit of quality

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 7

OR

as i am listening to more hip hop, i think im starting to realize its coming down to the individual tracks itself then. some don't have enough sub bass, some have bad sub-bass, and some have very good sub-bass. im starting to think it isn't a hd600 iussue then but some artists and recording quality or whatever they have in their tracks, whether they have a good defined sub-bass or whether its mixed with other frequencies. and i think volume has to do with the issue. I listen at max volume so its like at lower volume its not present but max volume they're definitely there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back