Listening to $100+ headphone directly from a smartphone?
Feb 18, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 19
  so.. there is no improvements on sound quality if i change my good $100 headphone for a brand new great $1000 headphone (aside maybe from audio signature differences)? both will sound equaly good on a cellphone?

Ignore the price difference for a second... Headphones sound different, regardless of price no two headphones sound completely identical to everyone all the time.   Its too broad and generalized to say definitively one way or another what will sound good, better or great.  Many smartphones (but obviously not all of them) have serviceably good/robust headphone outputs and internal DACs... definitely there are smart phones out there that are good enough to reveal sonic differences in headphones.  I can definitely hear a difference between my SR60i, HF1 and RS1 with my iPhone 5c (for example).

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 19
  yes, but let's put as an example two headphone with similar sound signatures: one cost $100 and another $1000. both are well-reviewed headphones and both drives easy on a phone. because the sound signature is the same for the two, will i see some (if any) improvements on audio quality switching from the cheaper one to the pricier one? (not counting comfort, isolation, etc) ((sorry my english, i'm from Brazil))

Bolded text for clarity.

Scenario 1, similar sound signatures I would expect to sound similar (but slightly different) driven from a robust phone/source.  I can easily detect sonic differences between my SR60i, HF1 and RS1 plugged into my iPhone.

Scenario 2, Really doesn't exist.  I can't think of any $100 phone that sounds exactly identical to a $1000.  But taking it hypothetically, if two such identical sounding headphones did exist I would expect them to sound identical driven by an adequate phone/source.  

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #18 of 19
I listen to 2,000 dollar headphones on smartphones and laptops and they sound almost equally as good as on a dedicated rig costing big $$.  If your phone, device or computer has a good internal soundcard and good headphone output, there isn't much you're missing.  However, there's quite a lot of junk out there too in which a very cheap amp or dac can make a drastic difference in sonic performance.

I remember my friend brought over his Toshiba touchscreen laptop last week and hooked it into my receiver through an auxiliary cord--- boy it sounded like ****.  I hooked it up to my macbook air and it sounded fantastic.  

Long story short, such high dollar phones aren't really limited all that much by smartphones and computers as long as their audio is good.  Anything recent Apple in particular sounds really good.

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 19
  I listen to 2,000 dollar headphones on smartphones and laptops and they sound almost equally as good as on a dedicated rig costing big $$.  If your phone, device or computer has a good internal soundcard and good headphone output, there isn't much you're missing.  However, there's quite a lot of junk out there too in which a very cheap amp or dac can make a drastic difference in sonic performance.

I remember my friend brought over his Toshiba touchscreen laptop last week and hooked it into my receiver through an auxiliary cord--- boy it sounded like ****.  I hooked it up to my macbook air and it sounded fantastic.  

Long story short, such high dollar phones aren't really limited all that much by smartphones and computers as long as their audio is good.  Anything recent Apple in particular sounds really good.

FWIW... I have used laptops for a little over 15 years through my employer lease program.  New laptop lease every 2.5 years.  I started out with Toshiba Tecra series man those were complete garbage, the absolute WORST sounding headphone outputs I have ever heard.  Switched to Lenovo, marginally better.  Been on a macbook Pro for my last 2 leases... and they do sound very good.  But those toshiba tecras were horrid (to put it nicely).  Going back to the discussion topic, a toshiba laptop (of that era at least) would make any 100-1000 $ headphone sound equally terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back