List of Low-End Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jun 16, 2008 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

proglife

500+ Head-Fier
this thread can be replied to in two ways:

1) What's the cheapest source you own that provides a satisfying music playback experience, regardless of the rest of your rig?

1B) What higher-end source have you found that this inexpensive source hangs with?

OR

2) What's the cheapest source you own and use regularly and sounds terrible.

Edit: I think this thread could be valuable for head-fi'ers who are looking for the absolute best bang for their buck. I'd hate to see someone spend 1500 bucks on a CD player when a 50 dollar DVD player can play in the same league. Surely that money would be better spent elsewhere.

--

I'll answer to get the ball rolling

1) I sold a $1500 dollar Rotel CDP that sounded good, but not significantly better than the popular Toshiba DVD player that was popular around here a few years back. This is my main optical source. I use a few Apple laptops more frequently, due to their convenience.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 52
This is kinda subjective... How about, all gear that costs less than $50 new / retail?
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 52
it's not subjective at all. if your gear doesn't get you chicks or make your peers wonder whether or not you're in a crime ring, you're a low-ender on head-fi.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 52
I have a 30G 5G video iPod with a pair of Shure e3c. My music is ripped in AAC, as well. It sounds good enough and has been enjoyable through any number of long flights.

Same with the totally stock OEM Pioneer system in the car. It has iPod controls, and I like it alright.

When I'm at home, relaxed and it's quiet, then I'll start spinning at 33.3 RPM and light up the tubes. I can enjoy it then.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 52
^ I def. agree with that strategy. The most complicated I am willing to get outdoors is a ipod classic and meier headsix, but honestly 90% of the time its just a itouch and UEs.

At home it is much easier to justify building an expensive rig as the setting is much more conducive.

Edit- having said that my most lofi source that I love is my Sony NWZB105FBLK paired with some Gumy's.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 52
i play all my music through my macbook or Zune (i know contradictory), the only time im ever at my desk is for gaming, i do all my work on my laptop etc.

currently i just go straight from laptop to headphone, but i have a ibasso boa coming.

so uh, portable player is my best source pretty much
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 52
I am most definitely qualified to comment here
wink.gif
, I frequently use an external cd-rom drive that I picked up from a surplus store , it is an all-in-one unit with a switcher psu inside the chassis. I drag this to meets and use it as a test source and it cost $5. My amp rocks and could easily hang with the best on the market, the surprising thing is that with good disks, it actually sounds pretty good but crappy CDs really sound terrible.

My normal source is probably not much better - a top line yamaha from 15 years ago but it does a sterling job..dB

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 52
I got it as a Bday present, however the CE595 is a nice player for the money. Can be had for 150$ in the stores and about 100$ used online. Its got decent sound, alittle tinny at times, however its not bad at all. It paired up nicely with a powerful tube amp. I since moved on to a modded zhaolu.

Ive been swapping alot between a modded zhaolu and a lavry DA10. There are times that i think the lavry is just alittle to uneventful for most of my music tastes. However it completely shines when it comes to classical music. I swear the DA10 was made just for that reason =)

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 52
i am having great results with both my ps1 scph 1002, 5502 and emu 0404. none will break the bank, and they all sound fantastic!

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #12 of 52
I use the headphone jack on my T61 (laptop). As far as I am concerned, the source is not a limitation right now =).

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

1) What's the cheapest source you own that provides a satisfying music playback experience, regardless of the rest of your rig?

This would have to be the Lite DAC-Ah. The great thing about it is I can partner it with any cheap transport, and get a relatively warm and musical signal to feed to an amp and headphones downstream.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 52
iRiver SlimX iMP-400 mp3 portable cd player, which is out of date and cannot be find in market now, I paid no more than $80 back in 5 years, still working happily like a mule. It has a direct line out so I don't need to use its crappy internal amp. I normally plug it with my GS Voyager, but considering to add a DAC in between, probably DIYEden SVDAC05

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread can be replied to in two ways:

1B) What higher-end source have you found that this inexpensive source hangs with?

OR

2) What's the cheapest source you own and use regularly and sounds terrible.
[snip]

1/ i like to sing in the shower.
2/ i like to sing in the shower in the morning when i'm not fully awake yet...

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back