List of Gapless Players- Help me make this list.
Oct 19, 2009 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
Just had an idea and I will try to run with it. I want to make a list of all audio players with gapless, excluding cd players and minidisc players. I only want to list those with true gapless and not "near gapless". There's no such thing as "near gapless". There's either a gap or there isn't. Players that have a "pop" or "click" in between tracks don't count either.

It would be nice to have a complete list of players for those who are in the market for a player featuring gapless.

I'll start by listing all the ones I know for sure. I will add info if certain requirements need to be met in order to achieve gapless playback. All entries are for stock firmware unless otherwise noted. Please post or PM me with any corrections or additions. I can't list them all by myself.

Apple iphone- 1st gen through current gen

**Note on ipods with stock firmware: My test has concluded that itunes may be needed for true gapless to work. Itunes processes gapless information when tracks are added to its library. My test using winamp resulted in a pop in between tracks. Tested with a 3g nano. Need more information.

Cowon D2- with rockbox firmware
Cowon S9
Cowon M5/X5/X5L- with rockbox firmware

iriver h100/h115/h120/h140- with rockbox firmware
iriver h320/340- with rockbox firmware
iriver h10- with rockbox firmware

Kenwood- HD60GD9 and HD60GD9EC with kenwod lossless format only

Microsoft Zune- all generations with zune 2.5 or later.

Rio Karma

Sandisk Sansa e200- with rockbox firmware
Sandisk Sansa c200- with rockbox firmware
Sandisk Sansa Clip V1- with rockbox firmware

Sony- Japanese NW-X series players with ATRAC only
Sony-

Toshiba Gigabeat F/X- with rockbox firmware

Trekstor Vibez

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony players, man that's as bad as not having gapless in my book. I'll find out the specifics and post it later on.

I thought that only older Sony players were gapless with the Atrac codec. But bad? Definately not. If they made gapless players again I would definately consider a Sony. (But only if..)

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 34
Yeah I had the Sony A3000 and there was people saying it cant do gapless but it worked fine for gapless.

Has anyone tried the new Sony players esp the X series and used Sonic Stage to see if gapless works that way? I have orderd one as it was about £35 cheper then the Touch and Cowan S9. Dont think I wanna spend extra just on gapless as I only have like 4 albums which are gapless.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 34
Sony still make gapless ATRAC players, but you have to buy them from Japan. The international versions do not have any of those options.

But I agree, it is horrid. Firstly, SS only works in Windows... and to get all the goodies, you have to use 2 or 3 different apps - I hate that. Using a sony for gapless is like twisting your arm in circles. And ATRAC is horribly behind the times.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 34
I'll have to find out which sony players had gapless back in the day, and which have gapless now in Japan. Also there's kenwood, which may also have gapless when using kenwood's proprietary lossless codec.

I read a post saying that either the Samsung P2 or P3 (or something similar) had gapless. Need to check on that too.

I hesitated to put the ipod 1g, 2g, 3g, 4g in my list because I'm not sure which of these support gapless with the stock firmware. I'm sure they do with Rockbox. As soon as I can confirm I will add them.

Tumiwa, I did some searching and I can't find any evidence of the U5 having gapless. I found a somewhat older post on iaudiophile.net claiming there was a gap. Which filetype he/she was using I don't know, but I'll have to do more research. What is your experience with this player and gapless?

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 34
I'd rather not rip to a single file. I can see the merits but changing songs would be somewhat of a bother. I don't know if the majority of players support cue sheets. Never used them before so I can't say.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 34
I have an iPod touch 3G with firmware 3.1.2 that does NOT do gapless with AAC files added with iTunes. The files were encoded with Nero AAC, but the encoder is not the cause of the problem since the same files are gapless on my old iPod classic.

A poster on hydrogenaudio says that his iPod touch played all AAC files gaplessly with firmware 2.x but after he upgraded to 3.x gapless was broken. I can not confirm this since my touch does not support firmwares older then 3.1.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back