LISA III Killers....
Apr 19, 2011 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Blasto_Brandino

Has changed names to BattleBrat

Alright, before I ruffle any Lisa III owners feathers, I would just like to say I own a LISA III XP W/ LLP I bought it new and I paid full pop ($1,000) AND I have preordered the L3 for $$$ So I'm feeling it too. It has been what, 3, 4 years? The Lisa III was king for a while, but there are new beasts out there now and in this thread I would like us to point out potential suitors.

NUMBER 1; JUST AUDIO AHA-120 (I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for this one, maybe a couple :wink:) $600
Interesting tidbit about this beast is that with two you can run them as dual monoblock balanced amps, which I find VERY INTERESTING!!!

http://www.justaudio.co.uk/aha-120.html

NUMBER 2; IBASSO PB2 Pelican $325

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=70

NUMBER 3; SR71B $650 (If I go to full custom IEM's I plan on picking up one of these bad boys)

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/sr-71b

NUMBER 4; TRIAD AUDIO L3 $700

http://www.triadaudio.net/Triad_Audio/Home_files/L3%20Brochure.pdf
Alright, any others?

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 27
I've never seen a comparison between the Triad Audio amps and the bigger 'desktop' portables from HeadRoom. Granted, that would be an expensive proposition, but you asked .....

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 27
The gentleman who sold me my DT880's has one of those headroom portable desktop amps, he bought a pair of HD800's I"ll bug him about it. Also, There is a meet coming up in my area

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 27
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to stop you at the Meier stepdance, it requires an external power supply in order to run with the big boys, that is not acceptable, amp and power supply must be self contained.

The SR-71B has been added.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 27
Obviously, fi.Quest will be up there with Lisa 3.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 27
Hmmm I see this fi.quest in an old Head-fi thread (infact YOU took the pictures), how is it I didn't see her when I bought my Lisa? anyway I cannot add it to the list due to the fact it is not currently available for sale, unless you can provide me a link..

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
Hmmm I see this fi.quest in an old Head-fi thread (infact YOU took the pictures), how is it I didn't see her when I bought my Lisa? anyway I cannot add it to the list due to the fact it is not currently available for sale, unless you can provide me a link..

It been some time since i last follow headfi. So i can't advice on the availability. I overlook the part where you are asking about the availability. Sorry.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 27

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to stop you at the Meier stepdance, it requires an external power supply in order to run with the big boys, that is not acceptable, amp and power supply must be self contained.

The SR-71B has been added.

Have you tried the Stepdance? You should check SkyLab's review I think - Stepdance is definitely one ofr those to be considered. It runs great from Li-Po batteries.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 27

Quote:

Have you tried the Stepdance? You should check SkyLab's review I think - Stepdance is definitely one ofr those to be considered. It runs great from Li-Po batteries.

It wouldn't be able to take on a Lisa III using a pair of HD650's, unless you connect an external power supply, but using that logic, I could connect an external power supply to the LISA III (which is possible, they implemented some things that let you use the LLP that made it possible) that would give me 24volts on the go and then It would never end that is why in this comparison I draw the line at onboard power supplies.

That being said, I was planning on picking up a Stepdance as a permanent replacement for my Pa2V2 (I don't use any cans >75 ohms with the Pa2V2) but I just picked up a Leckerton UHA-4 and I'd like to see how that does. (the slim profile really got to me)

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
It wouldn't be able to take on a Lisa III using a pair of HD650's, unless you connect an external power supply, but using that logic, I could connect an external power supply to the LISA III (which is possible, they implemented some things that let you use the LLP that made it possible) that would give me 24volts on the go and then It would never end that is why in this comparison I draw the line at onboard power supplies.

That being said, I was planning on picking up a Stepdance as a permanent replacement for my Pa2V2 (I don't use any cans >75 ohms with the Pa2V2) but I just picked up a Leckerton UHA-4 and I'd like to see how that does. (the slim profile really got to me)

If you really have to discard it, go ahead, but as I noted earlier Stepdance along iwth SR71B and Lisa are te best portable amps - check SkyLab's review and you will see what I am talking about, because for now you are just pulling information from sources I do not know and I am not sure where you got the information about Stepdance being no good on battery power.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 27
These are the biggest of the big amps, designed to run the highest impedance cans, now be honest, the Stepdance, which I'll admit is quite awesome (I wouldn't have considered buying one if it wasn't) can't keep up with out an external power supply ( the XP8000 I think is what they were using)
Sorry, let me make my point a little clearer, the amps mentioned above can OUTCLASS a LISA III the Stepdance can match it (cept on the highest impedance cans) but not outclass it. This thread is about LISA III killers, not Lisa III equivalents.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
These are the biggest of the big amps, designed to run the highest impedance cans, now be honest, the Stepdance, which I'll admit is quite awesome (I wouldn't have considered buying one if it wasn't) can't keep up with out an external power supply ( the XP8000 I think is what they were using)
Sorry, let me make my point a little clearer, the amps mentioned above can OUTCLASS a LISA III the Stepdance can match it (cept on the highest impedance cans) but not outclass it. This thread is about LISA III killers, not Lisa III equivalents.

Not even one of the amps you mentioned outclasses Lisa. SR71B matches it when used balanced, but single-ended it still is not better than Lisa.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 27
Much as I'd like to believe that, I own a LISA III and have heard a RSA Protector running HD650's in balanced, and I know it is not true, The Lisa doesn't have the juice to compete with whats out there now... and the SR71B matches it in balanced mode, yet is 1/3 the size, that is what I call outclassed. the technology has caught up with the Lisa III Time was nothing could touch it, times up. Fear not, the L3 is nearly upon us

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 27
Dbl post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back