Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jul 12, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #789 of 1,808
Have you tried the CBS hytron 5814?
That's up next. :wink: However, I went with the Sylvania first because it is better all around. The Sylvania has harder hitting tighter bass and is more transparent. The CBS is like a warmer slightly less transparent version of the Sylvania, from all my findings using them in my BHC. From all I have read, I imagine the Sylvania 5814a triple mica grey plate square getter and 7730 are going to be neck and neck, but we shall see real soon. :o2smile:

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #791 of 1,808
I have 3 different pairs of Sylvania. Haven't found the ones that you recommend yet but after reading tubemaze and audio asylum I managed to score a pair of 53 long plate tilted D getter 5814. Haven't had a listen yet trying to finish up my yard work. Lol

Those guys seemed to prefer the long plate D getter over the triple mica but as you know. It's all subjective lol.

The other 2 pair were ok. Transparent and whatnot, but sleepy sounding. No dynamics. The one pair is strange in construction. It has a 3rd mica but it's attached to the getter instead of the frame. Never seen anything like it.
15945778882084288838498887464383.jpg

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #792 of 1,808
I have 3 different pairs of Sylvania. Haven't found the ones that you recommend yet but after reading tubemaze and audio asylum I managed to score a pair of 53 long plate tilted D getter 5814. Haven't had a listen yet trying to finish up my yard work. Lol

Those guys seemed to prefer the long plate D getter over the triple mica but as you know. It's all subjective lol.

The other 2 pair were ok. Transparent and whatnot, but sleepy sounding. No dynamics. The one pair is strange in construction. It has a 3rd mica but it's attached to the getter instead of the frame. Never seen anything like it.
Nice! Tubemaze is where I learned about the one I have.

As far as sleepy sounding and that is how I would describe the CBS/Hytron 5814 compared to the Sylvania 5814 I have.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #793 of 1,808
For those of you deciding on 12AU7 adapters, @Wes S has the Tube Monger version. They are just a hair above the chassis top to allow for easy rolling as well as a nice clean look and cool operation. I have had '0' microphonic issues with countless tubes rolled using the TM adapters. No affiliation but I am a BIG fan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back