Linux users unite!
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #106 of 481
Can a desktop be TOO polished?
Oh yeah. Case in point - Chakra.

Seamless integration.
Aesthetic polish like no tomorrow.
Can't say that this is all good, as it does make it difficult to be productive while you're drooling over your own desktop. Probably a more legitimate complaint than I make it out to be.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #107 of 481
Too polished? Are you insaiyan?

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #109 of 481
Hmmm... I think KDE itself is pretty polished as of now, especially the 4.10 release. I use the vanilla release on Arch.

Funny thing is, KDE is the only desktop on which I haven't replaced the default theme. It just looks so good by itself. I've downloaded plenty, but everytime its like...naaah...it looks alright, just change the wallpaper.

Looking on the other side, I used to replace mostly everything in Gnome/Xfce. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #110 of 481
Feb 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #111 of 481
Quote:
Hmmm... I think KDE itself is pretty polished as of now, especially the 4.10 release. I use the vanilla release on Arch.

Funny thing is, KDE is the only desktop on which I haven't replaced the default theme. It just looks so good by itself. I've downloaded plenty, but everytime its like...naaah...it looks alright, just change the wallpaper.

Looking on the other side, I used to replace mostly everything in Gnome/Xfce. 

Yeah, Oxygen's pretty nifty. Only theme that comes close to that kind of integration and that many icons would be KFaenza with maybe QtCurve.

I use Caledonia because secretly I'm a Windows fanboy. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
In a choice between crunchbang and Chakra, Chakra would be installed on all the things.

Chakra is, again, way too nice. So nice. 

Stable repos are so much better than Manjaro's.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #112 of 481
Quote:
Yeah, Oxygen's pretty nifty. Only theme that comes close to that kind of integration and that many icons would be KFaenza with maybe QtCurve.

I use Caledonia because secretly I'm a Windows fanboy. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Chakra is, again, way too nice. So nice. 

Stable repos are so much better than Manjaro's.

Well if it's stable vs. nice then of course stable wins. I can't be bothered to use Debian or Arch

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #113 of 481
Discovered Ubuntu 12.10 when Valve released Steam for Linux and was promoting it a couple weeks ago. A lot of people unfortunately installed it just to get a free, limited in-game Tux penguin, but for me I ended up loving it and it is now my main OS.

Still very new and figuring things out, but love what I've experienced so far. I'm hoping Valve's push for Linux gaming succeeds.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #114 of 481
Quote:
Well if it's stable vs. nice then of course stable wins. I can't be bothered to use Debian or Arch

Well, Arch may be rolling release, but its not that bad in terms of stability. I've never faced any issue in my 5 years of usage (I was using ubuntu before that).  Ofcourse, it doesn't work out of the box, so yeah, its not completely fool proof.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #115 of 481
Quote:
Discovered Ubuntu 12.10 when Valve released Steam for Linux and was promoting it a couple weeks ago. A lot of people unfortunately installed it just to get a free, limited in-game Tux penguin, but for me I ended up loving it and it is now my main OS.

Still very new and figuring things out, but love what I've experienced so far. I'm hoping Valve's push for Linux gaming succeeds.

Haha... good to know.

My mom started using Ubuntu 12.10 on her new laptop, but wasn't really comfortable with Unity, she was used to the old Gnome 2.X interface of Ubuntu 10.04.  Now she's using the fallback mode, it works well enough for her needs.

If I have any complaints against the Distros, its only this. The forking and changing of Gnome has been troublesome for the non-techie users. It seems it never stabilized after 2.8. Now you have Gnome 3, Mate, Unity and Cinnamon to choose from, they all have their quirks.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #116 of 481
Quote:
Well, Arch may be rolling release, but its not that bad in terms of stability. I've never faced any issue in my 5 years of usage (I was using ubuntu before that).  Ofcourse, it doesn't work out of the box, so yeah, its not completely fool proof.

Glib broke (couple of times), so did X (infamously), whole kerfuffle about consolekit and WMs. In fact, most introduction of new feature sets like on fontconfig a while back or even transmission with gtk will break at least two things. And quite a few are exclusive to Arch as well, or at least found out through Arch first. But literally 2 minutes on google and some good old strace and journaling will fix it. In fact, apart from maybe 5-6 severe issues since the last two years, there hasn't been anything that couldn't be worked around immediately without a bug fix (which eventually comes except for obscure bugs). 

A great deal better than Gentoo though. And orders of magnitude better than Sid :p

That's not saying that rolling release is a bad thing, and for the most part people won't even notice these bugs as they...ahem, roll along (I'm sorry) every day. And "stable" repos can get deprecated and break just as fast. Guess my point is that everything has bugs so deal with it :D

(geez I make the issues sound really bad when I re-read it)

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #117 of 481
Honestly as a windows baby I kind of hated Unity. It was alright on desktop but a pain on netbooks. So far the only DE that works well personally is gnome, but then again I haven't tried KDE or the smaller ones on desktop yet.

And seriously, all these people saying "HURR IF YOU AREN'T USING A 1337 DESTOP ENVIRONMENT YOU AREN'T DOING LINUX" are contributing to the still (though not as) unpopularity of the linux kernal

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #118 of 481
Quote:
Honestly as a windows baby I kind of hated Unity. It was alright on desktop but a pain on netbooks. So far the only DE that works well personally is gnome, but then again I haven't tried KDE or the smaller ones on desktop yet.

And seriously, all these people saying "HURR IF YOU ARE USING A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT YOU AREN'T DOING LINUX" are contributing to the still (though not as) unpopularity of the linux kernal

Fixed for ya 
wink.gif

Wait how does the DE have anything to do with the Linux kernel?

I don't really think popularity's a goal for most - we just want our schi*t to work.
From http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
[size=medium]
Linux is not interested in market share. Linux does not have customers. Linux does not have shareholders, or a responsibility to the bottom line. Linux was not created to make money. Linux does not have the goal of being the most popular and widespread OS on the planet.[/size]
[size=medium]
 [/size]
[size=medium]
All the Linux community wants is to create a really good, fully-featured, free operating system. If that results in Linux becoming a hugely popular OS, then that's great. If that results in Linux having the most intuitive, user-friendly interface ever created, then that's great. If that results in Linux becoming the basis of a multi-billion dollar industry, then that's great.[/size]
[size=medium]
 [/size]
[size=medium]
It's great, but it's not the point. The point is to make Linux the best OS that the community is capable of making. Not for other people: For itself. The oh-so-common threats of "Linux will never take over the desktop unless it does such-and-such" are simply irrelevant: The Linux community isn't trying to take over the desktop. They really don't care if it gets good enough to make it onto your desktop, so long as it stays good enough to remain on theirs. The highly-vocal MS-haters, pro-Linux zealots, and money-making FOSS purveyors might be loud, but they're still minorities.[/size]
[size=medium]
 [/size]
[size=medium]
That's what the Linux community wants: an OS that can be installed by whoever really wants it. So if you're considering switching to Linux, first ask yourself what you really want.[/size]

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #119 of 481
That was pretty refreshing to read
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back