Linux broke my Koss, time for something new!
Sep 26, 2008 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HybVis

New Head-Fier
Linux... it's like a wild animal. You have to tame it before you can use it
tongue.gif
Anyway, on default settings it pumped so much volume to my poor KSC75s that it blew the left phone out a little. There's a rattling noise now that totally ruins the sound. I won't send em back to Koss because it's not their fault, and I don't live in the US
tongue.gif

Anyhow...

The first headphones I bought from here were HD201s, which I was happy with for a while. Then I bought the KSC75s and immediately stopped using the 201s. The 201s lacked bass, and were somewhat distant.

However, the KSC75s seemed to lack some of the clarity of the 201s. It felt like sounds which should be more separated were getting blurred together.

The comfort of the Koss tipped the balance in their favour, in the end. I hated using closed phones for long as my ears got hot and the 201s cup is pretty small anyhow. Hard to adjust so it's not rubbing your ears...

As you've noticed, both of the previous phones I've bought have been inexpensive! I'm starting to get the urge to move upwards a bit... (oh dear). However, being the cautious guy I am, I don't want to shoot for the moon just yet.

I'd like to know if there are any phones which justify spending a little more, but not a *lot* more, than the Koss cost. About £50/ $70 should do it. £50 > $70, of course, but stuff in the UK is more expensive. Actually, sometimes it's a straight £ for $ ratio (we get ripped off a lot).

What I'm asking, in a round about kind of way, is whether I'll notice any difference from spending a little more, or whether I'd need to spend a lot more, given the excellent price/performance of the Koss phones.

Was a long time since I last asked for budget-ish recommendations, and I've seen a few different names mentioned via Google, so yet again it's time to ask the experts here
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers mateys,
hv

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Is it possible you have a hair in the driver?

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by HybVis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Linux... it's like a wild animal. You have to tame it before you can use it
tongue.gif
Anyway, on default settings it pumped so much volume to my poor KSC75s that it blew the left phone out a little.

Use Linux since I remember using computers and that never happened to me. Feel lucky you didn't have them on your hears
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

There's a rattling noise now that totally ruins the sound. I won't send em back to Koss because it's not their fault, and I don't live in the US
tongue.gif

You don't need to live in the US. Search their site for distributors/repair center outside US and give them a call:

:: KOSS :: Welcome

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 5
Well I opened 'er up and there was indeed a hair (more than one) inside the thing. Touch wood no more rattle.

Doesn't stop me wanting to try a different pair of headphones now tho
wink.gif
As per first post, I wouldn't mind expanding my 'phone collection to see if there's a better sound out there, without spending a fortune
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back