Line Out, what devices?
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ramstryke

Head-Fier
Does the iPod 4G nano have a line out?

I'm trying to find out what I can plug into my Nissan Rogue's Aux input on the Bose stereo.. will any player's headphone out do, or must it be a line out?

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 13
The line out is through the big connector on the bottom. You can get a cable that plugs in the lighter socket for charging plus the line out (some also with remote control) so you only have 1 plug to connect the car to the ipod.

SInce it sounds like you haven't bought the player yet, Sansa (and I'm sure some others) have similar cables available.

The headphone out from any player should work fine too, but the appropriate volume setting will likely be different than you want for your headphones, so one more thing to adjust every time you hook up.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 13
ahh so, it doesnt have to be a true line out? interesting.. dont know why i thought it had to. typically when i plug in a headphone jack from some other player it fizzles and cracks and the sound level is all over the place.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 13
bump.. is that how typical line out for cars work? aok to just use the headphone out? doesnt that yield subpar results? or is it more of a trial/error on finding the right device to car unit volume balance...

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 13
BUMP.
istockphoto_1766009_bump_on_the_head.jpg

Anymore players with line-out?
Is a portable player and a dac almost as good as a computer with good soundcard?

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 13
hmm, sorry, i guess i'm lame enough to not know if that was sarcasm or a real question..

i thought i asked a valid enough question..

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 13
Haha. No sarcasm from me just so you know. Maby very wrong thread but i didnt want to start a new one again.
I repeat my question.

"Is a portable player and a dac almost as good as a computer with good soundcard?"

Im wondering because i want to get away from the sofa and to a nice chair setup without my PC.

Im thinking Cowon Q5W + Keces DA-131 + EF-1 + HP

But there is no line-out on the cowon player and im a little worried about amplifying the signal to much. Are there any better players to play flac and mp3 and send to a dac than the Cowons? and is the line-out very important?

Thanks

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 13
I know that many off you use the ipod. does it have an line out?

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 13
iPOD LINE OUT DOCK, Electronics items on eBay.com

dock-2white.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, sorry, i guess i'm lame enough to not know if that was sarcasm or a real question..

i thought i asked a valid enough question..

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 13
001.jpg

Ohje. So you guys use a dac with your ipod or straight to the amp?

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 13
As far as I know, there's only one way to use an outboard DAC with the iPod: a dock by Wadia that costs $250. It uses a chip to trick the iPod into thinking it's connected to a computer so it feeds the digital signal.

Everyone who's not using this Wadia dock is running the iPod into their amp with a lineout cable or dock (if they're not using it direct from the headphone out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back