Line out from Lightning devices Question
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

slayerx44

Head-Fier
Hey all, relatively new to this line out thing, if you got some time to spare, please answer my questions?

So to get from my iPhone 5s to my amp ( FiiO E12 )
I do this : iPhone5s > lightning to 30pin > FiiO line out cable > amp

This to get a signal which has not been processed from the iPhone's amp , am I correct?

Will swapping the Amp to a dac only device ( like a JDL ODAC ) get a amplified only signal but not processed by the internal Dac of a iPhone?

Or does it not work?

Some help would be highly appreciated, thanks in advanced ! Have a great day ahead!

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 3
The 30 pin connector had an analog line out, Lightning does not. The Lightning to 30 pin adapter contains its own DAC, which gets you that analog line out. So, you're getting a line-level signal, processed by the internal DAC not of the iPhone, but of the Lightning to 30 pin adapter. 

As of iOS 7 (or one of the first updates, I forget), you can use the Lightning to USB Camera cable to output standard USB digital audio, and go into (some) USB DACs. There are some restrictions, re: power, etc... Check/ask around in this thread to find out what's compatible. Going this route would offload the DA conversion and the amplification to whatever device(s) you plug into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back